Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question for landlords

Options
  • 17-04-2012 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

My brother and sil are moving out of their rented house after over 7yrs and were wondering if its worth offering to buy any furniture that they've been using since they moved in. They were thinking of the beds and sofas as after 7yrs the beds are likely to be replaced anyway so it'd be cheaper for brother and sil and benefit their landlord, the same with the sofas although these are still in very good condition.

Just your opinions on this and whether its acceptable or not would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Theres nothing to stop them from asking the landlord, but I would question why they would want to if the furniture is 7 years old and due to be replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

djimi wrote: »
    Theres nothing to stop them from asking the landlord, but I would question why they would want to if the furniture is 7 years old and due to be replaced?

I think they think they'll get a bit of a bargain so as they can't really afford new furniture all over the house at the same time so it'd give them a bit of breathing space until they could afford to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Fair enough. Id say the best thing to do is simply ask the landlord and see what they say. Bear in mind the landlord is not going want to be out of pocket either so they might not get that much of a bargain from them if they hadnt intended replacing the furniture to start with.

Advertisement