Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a domain from someone

Options
  • 17-04-2012 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

I've a quick question. I made a website for a friend of mine a while ago and he has it as a .ie site.
    He now wants to get a .co.uk address for his site too but the .co.uk is already registered. I have contacted the owner and they say they will sell it to me for £50+VAT.
    I've never done this before so am a little worried that there might be problems I don't foresee. Would I be right to think that I am outright buying it and then transferring it to the same service that I use for the .ie? Will I then be able to renew it again when it expires?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

When does the .co.uk domain expire..? And who is the domain hosted with, and have you contacted them to ask how you go about transferring ?

I wouldnt pay over any money until everything is done and you have control of the domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

When does the .co.uk domain expire..? And who is the domain hosted with, and have you contacted them to ask how you go about transferring ?

I wouldnt pay over any money until everything is done and you have control of the domain.

Thanks for the reply.
    It expires in June 2012. It seems to be hosted on bodis.com.
    I'll look into it a bit more.

The process of getting .ie domains makes more sense if it stops people like this registering speculative domains to sell on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It's a low value domain name, so you'll need to either pay the seller in advance (preferably via Paypal so you can reverse it if needed) or use an escrow agent

Nobody's going to transfer a domain to you until they've been paid

Kelly wrote about this recently for us: http://blog.blacknight.com/acquiring-an-unavailable-domain-name-on-your-own.html

Advertisement