Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Year Soft. Development Student looking for summer job

Options
  • 17-04-2012 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi all.
    Could anyone advise me the best way to go about getting some kind of work experience in the software field?
    I'm currently a First Year Student on a Comp. Science and Soft. Development degree and would like to get some experience in a work environment at a software company. I'm a mature student (30) and very keen so if anyone knows a company that does this knid of thing I'd really appreciate some help!

I've started calling recruitment agencies but no luck so far.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Your college probably has a careers office, companies looking for work experience people will get in touch with them to advertise positions, so make them your first stop. Also check yourself with the big software companies what kind of student/summer programs they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 alnicoll

Thanks for the reply.
    I'm already in discussion with my placement officer but was wondering if there's anything else I could be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

Do you like startups? If you do, try finding a few that really interest you and reach out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

I don't know about recruitment agencies, I think they would be more interested in getting experienced people into paying positions. I would be more inclined to talk to some of your lecturers, allot of them may know places worth trying or possibly maybe even have connections and could possibly put a word in for you.

Another thing worth doing, if you haven't already, is putting together a portfolio or a website showing some of the work you have done, this will show companies that you are applying to that you are keen and may get you noticed.

Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Look up "software interns ireland" in Google, and you'll get at least a few companies who are looking for junior people.

Also post your location and maybe a boardsie knows someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

What are you interested in? Sell yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 alnicoll

Thanks to all for your replies and suggestions.

My placement officer gave me a list of companies and will be following them up shortly!

Thanks again.

Advertisement