Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I grow any veg in my small balcony?!

Options
  • 17-04-2012 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

I would love to grow some veg.. the balcony is small.. probably 5 x 5 foot? (my feet, my feet are small!)

Is there much I could grow? Or should I buy one of those small tiered greenhouses?

Would love to grow some lettuce/kale/spinach/ herbs?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Absolutely, go for it. The only thing you mentioned there to avoid is kale as it grows quite big (although there are dwarf types). What way does your balcony face? If it's south all the better. Some sort of shlving would be a bonus as it would allow you more space so one of those small greenhouses could be good. You could easily grow some cherry toms too. But whatever you do, grow lots and lots of lettuce and salad leaves, especially cut-and-come-again types.
    All you need are containers, compost and seeds. Keep them watered and just wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

If you get started now you can easily be picking baby leaves in 4-6 weeks and right through to october/november!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭gavsmith

Thanks heaps guys.
    I think I'll use those big environmentally friendly bags and grow lettuce and spinach! I can't wait! I'm thinking one bonus of being on a balcony is no slugs or mice! I think I'll plant some nasturtiums in grow bags too, they're lovely in a salad. I'm excited now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭gavsmith

How do you guys grow spinach/lettuce?
    I'm clueless but would love to grow some on my tiny balcony too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I wouldn't mind finding out about this myself, have a west-ish facing balcony, would be great to grow some lettuce and tomatoes.

What kind of basic stuff would I need?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

trellis.jpg
    Ghekins, cucumbers, peas and other climbers can be grown up a trelis.

I would recommend 'Sultana' (garden centres and Unwins seeds) as a climbing french bean and Tirabeque (available from Lidl) as a petis pois/mange tout - no shelling, little waste.
    Tomatos, peppers, chili can be grown from a hanging basket.

I got the above wall brackets from Lidl, 2.99 each - the dark fabric behind the trelis is ground cover roll.
    If you cannot find a cheap trellis frame, just use some chicken wire.

All that is attached to the wall are 2x1 batons, the trellis attaches to them so any damage to the wall is limited.

Salad and herbs can be grown in guttering attached to the wall.
    More details at my blog

564326_10150741862677436_104062822435_9540341_735313839_n.jpg

If it is a first time garden, go for hanging baskets already seeded for tomatos etc. - and the best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

gavsmith wrote: »
    How do you guys grow spinach/lettuce?
    I'm clueless but would love to grow some on my tiny balcony too!

I'm growing spinach for the 1st time this year but essentially - but it in some earth and give it some water. To the best of my knowledge, lettuce/spinach is fairly hardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

In the US they grow tomatoes upside down. It's like a large bag with the plant dangling from the base. I've seen kits for it in Aldi. Also plant lettuce seeds once a week. Just a few will do. Strawberrys are also happy in hanging baskets. Most important of all a comfy chair or perch to sit in your jungle and watch it grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Zuiderzee wrote: »

Salad and herbs can be grown in guttering attached to the wall.
    More details at my blog

564326_10150741862677436_104062822435_9540341_735313839_n.jpg

If it is a first time garden, go for hanging baskets already seeded for tomatos etc. - and the best of luck with it.

nice use of old guttering;)

Advertisement