Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fuking Chargers

• 17-04-2012 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭

I count 1,2, 3 4,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,20+

Phone chargers, razor, computer, Ipod, various tools, toothbrush, camera chargers, old chargers I am afraid to throw out in case they are not old chargers. Then the whole are of connectivity, USB cables, different USB cable and even more different USB cables.

I seem to spend to much of my life looking for charges and the right cables, its driving me nuts. What if every appliance you bought needed a different socket in the wall. It simply wouldn't work, so why can't the powers that are standardise the different chargers and cables. I know this can be done, while all the chargers are different the power management systems are the same.

I know its a money making racket at some level, but surely for the sake of our homes and landfills being overrun by chargers something could be done.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Rastapitts

a charger for a charger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

I say make a multi-functional charger :)

One charger, charges all - ipods, phones, etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

They have been. Thanks to the EU, there will be standardised chargers for all phones next year. Most already have them.

And there should be an agreement on wireless charging standards shortly. In which case, soon you won't need a charger. Just put your device on a mat and it will charge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Very misleading thred title. i thought it was about war horses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I thought it was about these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charger_(table_setting)

Bástards, they are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Grayson wrote: »
    They have been. Thanks to the EU, there will be standardised chargers for all phones next year. Most already have them.

And there should be an agreement on wireless charging standards shortly. In which case, soon you won't need a charger. Just put your device on a mat and it will charge.

Thanks be to the EU, now the rest of the stuff as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

44leto wrote: »
    I know its a money making racket at some level, but surely for the sake of our homes and landfills being overrun by chargers something could be done.
    Old chargers doesn't go in the black bin, you recycle them free at any WEEE point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

SunnyDub1 wrote: »

Can't have that, it would be too easy then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

biko wrote: »
    Old chargers doesn't go in the black bin, you recycle them free at any WEEE point.

Thats like trying to find a battery recycling point, ridiculously scarce. At least here anyway.

Do you think they might have a spare Phillips razor one that they could recycle in my direction for free???

And they are not really recycled they are "downcycled". The copper and metals maybe used again at a lower grade and the plastic its not much use for the shiny plastic stuff we demand.

Like downcycled bottles are grinded and mostly used as road filler.

So there is still a lot of waste in recycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Grayson wrote: »

The EU. A great bunch of lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Old chargers doesn't go in the black bin,

Yes, you can be charged if you do that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

As said before quite a few do already, My phone and Kindle use the same charger, which also fits my old mp3 player.

I think the only phones now that use different chargers are Iphones and Apple makes me sick anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I count 1,2, 3 4,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,20+

Phone chargers, razor, computer, Ipod, various tools, toothbrush, camera chargers, old chargers I am afraid to throw out in case they are not old chargers. Then the whole are of connectivity, USB cables, different USB cable and even more different USB cables.

I seem to spend to much of my life looking for charges and the right cables, its driving me nuts. What if every appliance you bought needed a different socket in the wall. It simply wouldn't work, so why can't the powers that are standardise the different chargers and cables. I know this can be done, while all the chargers are different the power management systems are the same.

SunnyDub1 wrote: »

I have read a number of times that there is plans in the pipeline to see that all these future phones have a charger and/or connection that is more compatible with other phones.
    I think if memory serves me right, its an EU instruction to the industries making these products.
    They were basically told to get their act together.

For example see: http://blogs.wsj.com/tech-europe/2011/01/05/eu-standard-phone-charger-coming-this-year/
    A standardized universal charger for data-enabled phones should hit European consumers early this year following the agreement between the European Commission and 14 major manufacturers on a common charger....

...Article continues...

The common charger will be based on the “Micro USB,” already widely used as a connector for computers and peripherals. Although the new standards only apply to the 27 states of the EU, the Commission hopes that with some 400 million potential consumers in that market, it will drive manufacturers to adopting the standard world-wide.

The Memorandum of Understanding signed by the 14 manufacturers does provide some wriggle room for companies like Apple that have their own bespoke leads. The agreement does not prohibit manufacturers from having their own nonstandard plugs as long as they make available an adaptor.

The 14 manufactures that signed the agreement are: Apple, Emblaze Mobile, Huawei Technologies, LGE, Motorola, NEC, Nokia, Qualcomm, Research in Motion (RIM), Samsung, SonyEricsson, TCT Mobile (Alcatel mobile phones), Texas Instruments and Atmel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

there doing it with phones, mp3 players and sat navs etc but not cameras which is wierd...majority of cameras have a battery,charger thats unique to that model or range.its really annoying because its very difficult to get them in a shop as they keep changing them:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

On a scale of 1-10 on the terrible issues that us first world dweller's have to face, this is a 12.........

On a scale of 1-10 on the terrible issues that us first world dweller's have to face, this is a 12.........

Yeah I know its terrible isn't it, its just, of our top 12 problems this one is easy to solve.

And just because other people have worse problems that does not mean we can use that as an excuse to be apathetic and do nothing.

Example, my pipe has burst,,"ah well others have it worse I will leave it so"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

all I have to do is look at my phone and its charged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Yeah I know its terrible isn't it, its just, of our top 12 problems this one is easy to solve.

And just because other people have worse problems that does not mean we can use that as an excuse to be apathetic and do nothing.

Example, my pipe has burst,,"ah well others have it worse I will leave it so"

I hate this first world problems thing. If you're problem isn't drought or famine some smart arse has to point out "first world problems"

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I hate this first world problems thing. If you're problem isn't drought or famine some smart arse has to point out "first world problems"

I know first world guilt complex. My piles are bleeding for them, or is that another first world problem. You know if the guilt gets to much they could move to a less fortunate part of the world if they wished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

OMG:eek: got out of bed today, walked around the room looking for something and put most of my weight on a fuking phone charger:mad:, nearly called in sick into work:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fuking Chargers, how do they work?

Advertisement