Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up home network with UPC router

Options
  • 17-04-2012 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm having trouble setting up my wired home network with a UPC thomson router.

The house is fully cat 5e cabled and I have a switch and 2 dumb terminals for net and phone:

200821.png

The switch has no specific line in/input port and I have tried running an ethernet cable from the router to a few of the different ports but nothing seems to be working. I have also tried directly inserting the ethernet cable from the router into the corresponding port on the dumb terminal, but it still will not allow the laptop to connect. It is getting assigned an IP but does not have a default gateway or subnet mask and I am not on manual tcp/ip configuration.

Has anyone got any ideas, or has anyone set up a similar system using UPC?

I have enabled UPnP etc but am at a loss as to where to go from here.

I am thinking another possiblility may be that the UPC router needs to be somehow configured to allow this to work.

Thanks,

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You seem to have a lot of cables there.

A typical set up would be sockets around the house terminating on a patch panel. The sockets you wanted 'live' would then be connected to the switch using a cable. A Lan port on the router would also be connected to the switch either directly or via the patch panel.

Presumably you have had your laptop connected directly to the router as you say you have enabled UPnP. Is DHCP also enabled on the router. Is the Laptop correctly assigned an IP address when connected directly to the router.

I know this might sound obvious but is the switch powered on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Thanks for the reply.
    FSL wrote: »
    You seem to have a lot of cables there.
    Yup, each room has a minimum of 1 lan port and 1 phone port.
    A typical set up would be sockets around the house terminating on a patch panel. The sockets you wanted 'live' would then be connected to the switch using a cable. A Lan port on the router would also be connected to the switch either directly or via the patch panel.
    Each room port is wired back to the dumb terminals, then looped back into the switch.

The green wires are the cat 5e lan cables, the yellow is the phone system.
    Presumably you have had your laptop connected directly to the router as you say you have enabled UPnP. Is DHCP also enabled on the router. Is the Laptop correctly assigned an IP address when connected directly to the router.
    Not as of yet, I am testing this tonight as I have not had an oppertunity to directly plug in to the router yet. However I connected directly to the corresponding room port on the terminal from the router and still nothing.
    I know this might sound obvious but is the switch powered on.

Yes :)

Advertisement