Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jailbroken IOS 5 or Android ICS?

Options
  • 17-04-2012 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

I've been using a 3GS for over the past year but I'm finally getting around to upgrading this week.

From looking around it's either going to be the iPhone 4s or Samsung Galaxy S2.

I know the pros and cons of both phones (screen, battery etc) so it's really the phones OS which will help me decide which to get.

What are the main differences or advantages/disadvantages of the two OS i.e. Jailbroken IOS or rooted\stock Android?

I've read that people favour Android due to its customisation but having always used a phone that was jailbroken I found that I could customize my iPhone however much I required.
    I've only had limited usuage of the Android system (I recently rooted a friends phone and installed a custom rom) but from my brief time with it I did actually like the tweaking I could do with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's really up to what you prefer personally.
    There are several youtube videos that show the differences.
    I'd probably go with the Android just to learn a bit more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I've been using a 3GS for over the past year but I'm finally getting around to upgrading this week.

From looking around it's either going to be the iPhone 4s or Samsung Galaxy S2.

I've only had limited usuage of the Android system (I recently rooted a friends phone and installed a custom rom) but from my brief time with it I did actually like the tweaking I could do with it.

I think you answered it yourself. I think if your into messing with your phone a change might excite you :)

You could also either look at the HTC One X,S or wait a little bit for the announcement of the the next Samsung galaxy unless your looking to pick up the Galaxy SII cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

I think you answered it yourself. I think if your into messing with your phone a change might excite you :)

You could also either look at the HTC One X,S or wait a little bit for the announcement of the the next Samsung galaxy unless your looking to pick up the Galaxy SII cheaper

Yes I think that if you want a simple easy to use phone that just works, get the iPhone. If you want a highly customisable phone that you can do virtually anything with due to the processors on android's now-adays get an android. If I were you I would get the HTC One X as I have had both now (HTC and Samsung GS2 and personally prefer Sense UI. I think ICS looks a lot better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Thanks for the input.

Had a look at the OneX and thought the screen was maybe too big plus not sure of the need for 4 processors on a phone!

Ended up going with SGII as SGIII would have been out of my price range.
    Loving it so far and really happy with the change of OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Thanks for the input.

Had a look at the OneX and thought the screen was maybe too big plus not sure of the need for 4 processors on a phone!

Ended up going with SGII as SGIII would have been out of my price range.
    Loving it so far and really happy with the change of OS.

It's one processor with 4 cores. It's the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Dermighty wrote: »
    It's one processor with 4 cores. It's the future.

4+1 cores ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Ok, some posters have ignored the question the OP asked, he did not ask about stock iOS5 Vs Android he asked about a jailbroken iOS5, which is similar to a rooted Android system in terms of functionality and "customisation". There are some really good tweaks for jailbroken phones.
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=jailbroken+home+screen&um=1&hl=en&client=safari&sa=N&rls=en&biw=1382&bih=688&tbm=isch&tbnid=zbuRd5tIx5cBEM:&imgrefurl=http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D1044175%26page%3D53&docid=557zvJEZWm_eVM&imgurl=http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/1971/img0026f.png&w=640&h=960&ei=XH2ST_2yKYjS0QWZtvHiAQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=1087&vpy=4&dur=5529&hovh=275&hovw=183&tx=106&ty=56&sig=105378610518411682233&page=1&tbnh=137&tbnw=91&start=0&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:16,s:0,i:103

OP: Personally I would consider the Galaxy Nexus over the SII, I wasn't a big fan of the SII, but stock ICS on the Nexus is awesome. Android without a 3rd party overlay is truly awesome. It's a totally different experience and much more comparable to iOS in terms of fluidity and polish. The specs of the Nexus are all but identical to the SII and some felt it was a pretty ho-hum device, that it was not "special" enough. I can assure you that it is not. The Nexus is all about hardware and software designed to work together, ICS was literally designed for the SGN, no other phone will be quite as good, even when rooted and stock ICS is installed.
    My advice, Galaxy Nexus, all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you're talking One X you should also mention the Xperia S...

Advertisement