Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8MB ngb cheaper than old 7MB package

Options
  • 17-04-2012 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

why are people on 8MB ngb packages paying a lot less than customers stuck on the old 7MB

shouldn't prices be dropped for existing customers to 45 or 50 euro?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

M cebee wrote: »
    why are people on 8MB ngb packages paying a lot less than customers stuck on the old 7MB

shouldn't prices be dropped for existing customers to 45 or 50 euro?

I appreciate it may seem unfair to customers who are on the standard broadband packages and can not avail of the Next Generation Broadband as their exchanges may not have been enabled as yet.

However the the NGB is classed as a different broadband product / service. eircom are trying to enable as many exchanges nation-wide for NGB, as it is the best way to improve the broadband service at a national level.

However in some cases it may not be possible to provide NGB to an exchange, so that is why the standard bitstream broadband service is still provided in an effort to give some measure of broadband service to an area.

The standard broadband packages (In terms of price and speed parameters) were set when the product was rolled out through all proper channels.

NGB had to be offered as a different product, as such the price and speed parameters did not have to match the existing standard packages, in turn it was regulations meant that we could not lower the standard broadband packages to match the NGB (as it is a separate product).

eircom are not try to frustrate existing customers, but in order to allow the standard broadband as an option when NGB is unavailable in area it has to be offered under the parameters outlined.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

ok

are you seriously telling me regulations don't allow eircom to reduce the price of the older packages in the interests of fairness to all customers?

I'd be astounded if that's the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 15 paul72

yo mark can u tell me if my contract is up with eircom

paul72 wrote: »

start your own thread there bud

paul72 wrote: »

HI Paul.

PM you back.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

mark

is that your final word on this?

the regulations prevent eircom reducing the price of the older packages?

ok

are you seriously telling me regulations don't allow eircom to reduce the price of the older packages in the interests of fairness to all customers?

I'd be astounded if that's the situation

Hi M cebee

It would make sense for eircom to lower the prices if it was that straight forward, However our prices, like all telecommunications companies are regulated to insure fairness, competitiveness' and choice for customers to decide which provider / product suited them best.

The roll-out of eircom NGB as a different broadband product allowed us to offer it under separate offers / prices to try and be more competitive.

However the ability to market as a different broadband service, does not exited to the ability to lower existing products services to the same price as much as eircom would like that to be the case.

Thanks, Mark

ok but can you answer my specific
    question?

yes or no?

regulations prevent eircom reducing the price of older packages?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

Any idea when Newcastle West, Co.Limerick will be upgraded Mark.

I signed up to the ngb package since October and no sign of an upgrade, was told January by the sales rep.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

Would make sense, otherwise Eircom could easily undercut the prices of every other ADSL operator effectively obliterating all of their competitors (exactly what the regulator is supposed to prevent)

• Advertisement

Would make sense, otherwise Eircom could easily undercut the prices of every other ADSL operator effectively obliterating all of their competitors (exactly what the regulator is supposed to prevent)

ya? really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

In my opinion if Eircom were that concerned on being fair to their existing customers on 'old Packages' I am sure they could have applied to have the price adjusted downward for them at the same time they applied to have the price for the 'New NGB Packages' set by the regulator.

Could you comment on that please Mark and let me know if that would be disallowed by the regulator?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lockup35

Is it worth opening a case with ComReg about this or are they pretty much useless?

RoverZT wrote: »
    Any idea when Newcastle West, Co.Limerick will be upgraded Mark.

I signed up to the ngb package since October and no sign of an upgrade, was told January by the sales rep.

Thanks

Hi RoverZT

The Newcastle- West exchange was NGB enabled last Friday - 13/04/12, If you call broadband sales on 1800 503 303. They can issue the switch to NGB.

Or you can issue the order online

Thanks, Mark

lockup35 wrote: »
    Is it worth opening a case with ComReg about this or are they pretty much useless?

it seems very unfair

and hasn't been satisfactorily explained here anyhow

Smart Telecom are now offering a good deal. Will Eircom compete with this or have ComReg told them they can't.. :)

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/home_broadband/more_details/Home_Broadband_Talk_Anytime.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

it seems very unfair

and hasn't been satisfactorily explained here anyhow

Hi M cebee
    Short answer to your question is yes. Pricing and service regulations are monitored and imposed within the communications industry , ( as I assume they are within most industries, though I am not an expert on this) by a regulatory body, in this case ComReg. Cases can and are made to alter prices and offer compeditive plans and these will be investigated.
    Certainly the point you made is valid and we are aware of this issue.
    The regulations and rules governing this are outside my own knowledge base though.
    Hope this adds some clarity..
    Tony

Have Eircom applied, or do they intend to apply to the regulator to have the price of Regular 7MB broadband reduced to a more equitable level given the extraordinary difference in price compared to someone on a newer and faster 8mb package?

Hi Mark/Ant,
    Can you confirm if Eircom management are considering reducing the price of non-NGB packages as current prices are very high compared to NGB packages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi Mark/Ant,
    Can you confirm if Eircom management are considering reducing the price of non-NGB packages as current prices are very high compared to NGB packages.

Hi lockup35,

Appreciate your post. From our perspective I do agree that eircom needs to assess its pricing regularly and has in fact done so only recently - here - There is a committment also to drive down prices, putting the customer at the centre and giving the best possible service and sustaining a business.

Obviously, there are many factors that govern prices; from sales, markets as well as normal outlays, . eircom, as you probably know, are strongly regulated and competitors will take advantage of this. At the same time, I believe, eircom offers good value across a wide range of Telecoms' services: Next Generation, and tailored Broadband and Phoneline packages. This includes good quality services like eircom SportsHub, MusicHub & StudyHub. Often these services are forgotten when making comparisons and these have certanly proved to provide tremendous benefit to our customers over the past year. eircom are continually reviewing costs and investing: in areas like fibre, NGB roll out plans, as well as emerging IP TV and other technology sectors.

If you need to discuss your current pricing or bill or would like to upgrade your current package, just give Broadband Sales a call - 1800 503303 freefone.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Advertisement

Ant, thanks for your update but the link you mentioned only relates to NGB. Eircom's new package list seems to only apply to NGB customers.
    A lot of consumers are unfortunately outside large urban areas so can't avail of NGB packages. And it looks like the majority of these exchanges will not be NGB enabled due to Eircom's financial predicament. So it stands to reason we shouldn't be paying more for an inferior service..

Ant, thanks for your update but the link you mentioned only relates to NGB. Eircom's new package list seems to only apply to NGB customers.
    A lot of consumers are unfortunately outside large urban areas so can't avail of NGB packages. And it looks like the majority of these exchanges will not be NGB enabled due to Eircom's financial predicament. So it stands to reason we shouldn't be paying more for an inferior service..

Hi lockup35,

If you drill into any of the eircom Broadband and Home Phone Bundles offers (outlined) an availability checker will determine what your optimum broadband is. These bundles have been simplified down, and allow the user to customise or add add-ons if necessary. All the prices have been rounded down or made easier to read and understand. Again, this is putting the customer at the centre of what they want to order or require.

If you are currently in a non-NGB covered area, you will be directed to a package which includes suitable and available broadband in your area. The otherside of that is, eircom are committed to a national NGB roll out. The deployment is quite extensive and exchanges are continually being upgraded and enabled.

Thanks again for your post.
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Hi lockup35,

If you drill into any of the eircom Broadband and Home Phone Bundles offers (outlined) an availability checker will determine what your optimum broadband is. These bundles have been simplified down, and allow the user to customise or add add-ons if necessary. All the prices have been rounded down or made easier to read and understand. Again, this is putting the customer at the centre of what they want to order or require.

If you are currently in a non-NGB covered area, you will be directed to a package which includes suitable and available broadband in your area. The otherside of that is, eircom are committed to a national NGB roll out. The deployment is quite extensive and exchanges are continually being upgraded and enabled.

Thanks again for your post.
    Ant

This thread is about non NGB areas, so mentioning Ngb is not in the least bit useful as we have already figured out we haven't Ngb and we won't be getting it in the foreseeable future.

If you click on buying any package, you won't be directed to anything other than a sales phone number.

20120424065112pm.png

Ringing that number, will do you absolutely no good, you will be told that you are already on their best package.

So the bottom line, Eircoms "best" price for up to 4mb broadband is an unadvertised €60 per month, unless you want "broadband only" in which case, the price increases further.

Am I mistaken ?
    How pray tell, does this illustrate how "Eircom are committed to driving down prices"

If possible, please reply without mentioning NGB.

iPhone. wrote: »
    Have Eircom applied, or do they intend to apply to the regulator to have the price of Regular 7MB broadband reduced to a more equitable level given the extraordinary difference in price compared to someone on a newer and faster 8mb package?

Hi Ant, I see you convenienty jumped over my query and answered the one after it - any particular reason for ignoring it? If not an answer would be appreciated.

Also you also state - 'eircom, as you probably know, are strongly regulated and competitors will take advantage of this'

Which of your competitors are not regulated in the same manner as Eircom?

Please extend me the courtesy of a reply to my questions.

a number of specific questions haven't been answered directly

maybe the reps don't know or can't reveal

They should still at least have the courtesy to express that if that is the case. Not just blatantly ignore a legitimate question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

This thread is about non NGB areas, so mentioning Ngb is not in the least bit useful as we have already figured out we haven't Ngb and we won't be getting it in the foreseeable future.
    If possible, please reply without mentioning NGB.

Funny how they keep mentioning NGB to you, but I notice that Eircom have seemingly removed all reference to NGB on their website. NGB.ie no longer exists and redirects to that sales page you posted. The NGB maps have disappeared - probably most likely to avoid customer disappointment - (thanks but we're already disappointed...). The line checker has also gone.... and their website has a few broken links.

iPhone. wrote: »

Thanks for posting on the eircom Forum on Boards.

No intention in not replying to your query. I had dealt with pricing in a simpilar post on pricing. This mentioned how recent price changes have empowered the customer and this along with good quality value added services had made eircom more competitive. Regarding contacting government agencies, it's not really my place to get involved as I am just a customer service rep. However, as a Social Media moderator it is often good to let a conversation grow, and not get involved in every post; on a similar subject. Sometimes it is not possible to get involved in wide ranging or more senior positions of the company. In general we try to answer as best we can. Sometimes the answer will never sit right with an indvidual or the question.

Regards,
    Ant

Spoke with ComReg about this. There are certain regulations that have to be adhered to regarding pricing but Eircom are free to lower the price of their packages as long as they remain compliant to these regulations...

• Advertisement

Thanks for posting on the eircom Forum on Boards.

No intention in not replying to your query. I had dealt with pricing in a simpilar post on pricing. This mentioned how recent price changes have empowered the customer and this along with good quality value added services had made eircom more competitive. Regarding contacting government agencies, it's not really my place to get involved as I am just a customer service rep. However, as a Social Media moderator it is often good to let a conversation grow, and not get involved in every post; on a similar subject. Sometimes it is not possible to get involved in wide ranging or more senior positions of the company. In general we try to answer as best we can. Sometimes the answer will never sit right with an indvidual or the question.

Regards,
    Ant

Thanks for the reply Ant.

I didn't ask if you personally had contacted the regulator so lets not get stupid about this ok? I asked if EIRCOM had made contact with the regulator in relation to lowering prices for us folk stuck on a very inequitable standard broadband package pricing structure.

How have 'recent price changes empowered' this customer? Stuck on an unfarrly overpriced 7MB standard broadband package which now doesn't even get a mention on the Eircom Website??

Advertisement