Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hitching to Cork?

Options
  • 17-04-2012 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Is this a bad idea? I have a friend that hitched from Dublin to Cork City last year no problem! I live in Kildare so will hitch from there if possible? Any advice appreciated or even a lift would be better! Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Oh the humanity.

Hitching is so unsafe.

Make sure you get the licence plate number before getting in and text everyone you know.

Other hysteria style cliches :rolleyes:

I have actually hitched all round the country and not had any bad experiences. Some interesting, but nothing dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

A lot of this route is motorway, so I presumed this may make it a wee bit difficult?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

As a former hitcher myself i'd assume it is not the best route for hiching unless u get very lucky. Not to mention the dangers (but i know u know them anyway...cos people always keep reminding u).
    I used to hitch to/from West Cork and North Cork a lot and normally got lift very fast, never ran to any trouble either. Often was picked up by older couples or young women travelling to/from work. Even as little as a year ago.
    I dont think i would even try to hitch the route u proposed tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

why are you hitching? Are you too mean? Don't have the money? Just wondering. I know in the past it was quite common, I even did it myself when I was a teenager but it was only for the short journey from town towards where I lived (6 miles).

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MissRetro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Hitching used to be a form of community transport before the celtic pyramid. It was as if people were doing their civic duty giving hitchers lifts.

I remember hitching students queued for a couple of miles on the outskirts of Cork City (Bandon road) heading home on a Friday afternoon.

I just felt like saying that. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

The lower glanmire road would be full of people heading east too.

You just don't see much hitching these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

deRanged wrote: »
    The lower glanmire road would be full of people heading east too.

You just don't see much hitching these days.

Yep.

Most students and FAS apprentices have cars these days I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Gingko wrote: »
    Is this a bad idea? I have a friend that hitched from Dublin to Cork City last year no problem! I live in Kildare so will hitch from there if possible? Any advice appreciated or even a lift would be better! Thanks!

The last hitch-hikers I saw had a sign with them saying "trying to get to Listowel. We're very nice, nothing to worry about here!".

I never saw them on my return journey :eek: so I presume they were picked up and carried somewhere by someone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

It's €22 return with aircoach.

Save yourself the hassle.

http://www.aircoach.ie/table.routes.cork.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I hardly ever see any hitch hikers to pick up these days.. I didn't really believe in hitch hiking until I went to Unst (Shetland Islands) where it was almost the only way to get around besides walking

Someties for some peple bustimes dont match with what their travel needs are. For example if u need to be somewhere very early and saying no isnt an option while there is no public transport that time... u must find other ways to make it... Or the last bus goes before u have finished work/school/whatever.
    The route he/she wants to hitch isnt good i guess... the very last bus to Cork from dublin even leaves at 7pm.. thats just mad i think... and yes, there is early/late trains, but the prices are:eek::eek::eek:.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

kart wrote: »
    Someties for some peple bustimes dont match with what their travel needs are. For example if u need to be somewhere very early and saying no isnt an option while there is no public transport that time... u must find other ways to make it... Or the last bus goes before u have finished work/school/whatever.
    The route he/she wants to hitch isnt good i guess... the very last bus to Cork from dublin even leaves at 7pm.. thats just mad i think... and yes, there is early/late trains, but the prices are:eek::eek::eek:.

Not the case anymore.

Aircoach have expanded their timetable in the last few weeks:
    http://www.aircoach.ie/media/Cork%20Flyer%20120402.pdf

There is now an 8pm from Dublin and also a midnight service from Dublin. There are also now earlier services from Cork.These servicees are also non stop meaning they go from city centre to city centre in three hours.

devnull wrote: »
    Not the case anymore.

Aircoach have expanded their timetable in the last few weeks:
    http://www.aircoach.ie/media/Cork%20Flyer%20120402.pdf

There is now an 8pm from Dublin and also a midnight service from Dublin. There are also now earlier services from Cork.These servicees are also non stop meaning they go from city centre to city centre in three hours.

Thats pretty great:)

I personally wouldnt hitch from dublin or kildare to cork anyway. The last time i hitched was a year ago in west cork when needed to get somewhere before first bus. Thats why that was the first comparision that came into me head.

Awsome about the bus in midnight now, wopeee, no more sleeping in airport for me as normally when i fly somewhere my flight back gets in after 10pm. Happy days:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I used to hitch to and from school 6 miles away for 2 years. I found it brilliant as you used to meet the most interesting people. Going from Kildare to Cork is a bit awkward because of the Motorway. You'll have to take it in small steps and reallistically it could take a whole day to get down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Why hitch to Cork? I can think of better places.

Just kidding, Cork is beautiful.

If you are intent on doing it a little sign saying you are heading to Cork would be an idea, there'd be loads of folk driving to Cork on that road so shouldn't be too much of a problem. Realistically though lots of people mightn't want the company of a stranger for 140 miles ish.

RoverJames wrote: »
    If you are intent on doing it a little sign saying you are heading to Cork would be an idea, there'd be loads of folk driving to Cork on that road so shouldn't be too much of a problem. Realistically though lots of people mightn't want the company of a stranger for 140 miles ish.

Yup, sign is always a good idea.

A piece of advice about sign itself:
    - Use Contrast colours and make sign as big as u can. - Black writing on white background is good. Easily readable.
    - No clutter. only write don CORK, as thats all that matter and they need to see it far and clear. It does not help to write down more stuff and therefore make writing smaller, cos if they have already nearly passed u in fullspeed by the time they get the point of the sign, it is already too late and they aint gonna stop. They need to see it way before they get to u so that they have a second to think and slow down to stop. Honestly. Younger years spent hitching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

The one and only time I hitched, I was with a friend and we got lectured all the way home from the man who picked us up. He was warning us about murderers and stuff :o

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Triangla wrote: »
    It's €22 return with aircoach.

Save yourself the hassle.

http://www.aircoach.ie/table.routes.cork.php

May be on to something here! They stop at Kildare Square too. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭iliketeaandcake

I used to hitch when I was a teenager all over Tipperary and then when I started driving I would often give people a lift. I still do if I kinda know the person, but I would be very nervous doing it now though - both hitching or giving someone a lift - unless I had someone with me or it was arranged beforehand so I could tell someone!

Anyone ever use carpool.ie or know of similar groups? Akin to freecycle or something?

Advertisement