Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reference checking

Options
  • 17-04-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello everyone

just a quick question:

i am currently employed and have been, since the beginning of the year, actively looking for another position.

I don't have my referees listed on my cv, but have gave the name of the company i work for on my cv and a brief description of the trade they are in, and it would not be difficult to google it or find my supervisor on linked-in (I found him easy enough and his/our company email address)

I had persumed this would be a no no, checking a reference before a formal offer of employment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

99% of the time formal references are only checked at the final stages of recruitment. Most companies will confirm to the candidate when they are checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks Irish_elec_eng

That is what I had thought was the process.

I have listed the name of the company that i currently work for in my cv and a brief description of the industry it is. I got to the last stage of a competition for a job in the same industry and hadn't been asked for my references details: however the industry itself is quite small and companies (and those interviewing) would have some aquinatance with each other.

My currently employer has stated he is happy with my work and is "glad" I am here, because in the last year of a team of four, one went part time, two are pregnant are going on maternity leave within a week of each other - that leaves me as the only permanent/ full time member of staff.

I have taken on alot of extra responsibilty and problem solving duties - for no extra money, I started on min wage and am still on min wage - dispite all the changes to my role.
    I have asked for my pay to reflect my new responsibilty or at least to match the rate of the rest of my team (or whats left of it on three days/baby brainers), and have been refused.

this is the reason why I wanted to move to a new position -

but I am concerned giving the present situation (i know i am not irreplaceable, but if new people join I will the only one that they can ask questions off) that my employer would not be happy to know I had interviewed elsewhere.

giving the industry is relatively small - is there any change an informal chat having occured without my knowledge? I dont think my current employer could have said anything bad - but more along the lines that I dont want her to leave and she plenty of time to move up or on to a new job etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you ever want to move anywhere else (and on the min wage you certainly should!), then this is the risk that you take.

And it's not only a small industry thing: Ireland is a very small village, and there's always a chance that your employer find out if you're making enquiries outside, even if you don't give the name of the company.

But if they know unofficially ... they cannot officially use the information against you, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks to all who replied - yes I suppose I will continue as I am doing then - and to know that either way, even if my current employer knows or not they cannot hold it negatively against me.

one more quick question- regarding time off for interviews, I have to give them at least 2 weeks notice for days off, (holidays) any suggestions on the best way to go about it - for the last two interviews I had I was able to take half days and have "appointments" but there is only so many dentist or doctor i can attend!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hmm, that's a pain. You could try asking for out of hour appointments but that's not always a runner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

ref check wrote: »
    one more quick question- regarding time off for interviews, I have to give them at least 2 weeks notice for days off, (holidays) any suggestions on the best way to go about it - for the last two interviews I had I was able to take half days and have "appointments" but there is only so many dentist or doctor i can attend!
    Don't bother telling lies about medical appointments, just tell them "I need the afternoon of the 14th off". It's your annual leave and it's none of their business what you're using it for. If they ask just say "personal reasons".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

True, but the problem is that not being able to attend an interview for 2 weeks is a bit of a pain.

Advertisement