Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Safari Game Drive/Stay Eastern Cape - South Africa Advice Needed

• 17-04-2012 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Advice needed if possible.

My wife And I booked flights to south africa for Jan 2013 to do the Garden Route in South Africa.

She is mad to stay in one of these 5 star game reserves off Port Elizibeth.

For example game reserves like Pumba, Shamwari, Rippons etc...

However, prices we are being quoted to stay there are between €400 to €500 a night PP. Madness! I believe.

Would love any suggestions - from anyone who has experienced? Is it worth it basically?

Would a day/night game drive suffice?

Any help is appreciated.

Rich

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

To be honest it totally depends on your budget.

I worked in Shamwari for a summer and it is a beautiful place. While I was working there visitors included Samuel L Jackson, Julia Roberts, George Bush snr etc. The accommodation is unreal and the game drives are superb but there's no denying it's a bit of a rip off, especially if you look at it in terms of South African prices in general.

I guess it's the kind of thing you won't get to do too often in life so if you can afford it I would say go for it, either Shamwari or Addo would be my choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭SuperStarHoney

We stayed in Shamwari for two nights on our honeymoon, we were booked into one of the cheaper lodges but got upgraded to Eagle's Cregg and have to say it was one of the highlights of the trip.

In Eagle's Gregg you have your own individual lodge with plunge pool so it's very secluded and private and the food, service etc are all top class.

We went on three game drives over two days and seen everything.

When we booked they were running a deal so we got three nights free in a Capetown hotel when we booked 2 in Shamwari. I'm not sure if they are still doing this but I wouldn't be optimistic giving you're going in the height of high season :o.

Anyways in a nutshell I would definitely go back, possibly stay even longer and just try to forget the pricetag :D.

That is a heft price tag for South Africa. Even the Kruger isn't that expensive.

Are you hell bent on going on the garden route.

Why don't you fly to capetown for a few days, see table mountain, vineyards etc and fly back to Joburg.

Then rent a 4x4 (if its reasonable) and book a few nights in Sun City, it is 100 euro per person for top notch accommodation, while there go to the Pilanesburg game reserve, its like R100 (10 euro) to go in and they have Rhinos, Elephants etc there.

I would then go to the Drakensburg (south), enter Lesotho there and then head to the North coast (Balito), even do a 4 day cruise to Reunion, get some beach swimming in and then finish off at Kruger Park.

Garden route is nice and all but way overpriced, there is plenty more to see and do in South Africa for a lot cheaper.

look at www.wheretostay.co.za

Also subscribe to Groupon in South Africa, always deals popping up for accommodation.

You could do all the above in about a 3 week stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

keeffo2005 wrote: »
    That is a heft price tag for South Africa. Even the Kruger isn't that expensive.

Are you hell bent on going on the garden route.

Why don't you fly to capetown for a few days, see table mountain, vineyards etc and fly back to Joburg.

Then rent a 4x4 (if its reasonable) and book a few nights in Sun City, it is 100 euro per person for top notch accommodation, while there go to the Pilanesburg game reserve, its like R100 (10 euro) to go in and they have Rhinos, Elephants etc there.

I would then go to the Drakensburg (south), enter Lesotho there and then head to the North coast (Balito), even do a 4 day cruise to Reunion, get some beach swimming in and then finish off at Kruger Park.

Garden route is nice and all but way overpriced, there is plenty more to see and do in South Africa for a lot cheaper.

look at www.wheretostay.co.za

Also subscribe to Groupon in South Africa, always deals popping up for accommodation.

You could do all the above in about a 3 week stay.

Go for Addo elephant and Schotia private game reserve. You will get to see all wildlife with that combination. There is a cheetah farm on the East side of Addo where you can pet cubs as well.

Schotia is much cheaper than the likes of Shamwari etc.

Advertisement