Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place for Vietnamese pho in dublin

Options
  • 17-04-2012 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Trying to find somewhere that makes a decent Pho but any good Vietnamese would be helpful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

you might be struggling for your Pho, Ho Sen was the only Vietnamese (I think) restaurant in Dublin but that's closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Ho Sen was brilliant, shame it's gone. The chef was from Hanoi, I wonder if he's still working in Dublin? Micanderson, you might get a pho of sorts in SABA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It's on the Saba menu. Ho Sen was a great place and the manager was a character and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭cascar

ho sen will be open again soon, the owner is trying his best to redesign the shop. i'm not sure when but probably early 2013. the owner is my best friend, we are both vietnamese ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Ah, great news. Keep us posted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

A shill wind blows through this place !

Seriously tho, love vietnamese grub. Only ever had it in a few places in London but they were splendid, i imagine the real deal is so much nicer.

Cascar - anywhere you'd reccomend until your pal get's his place up & running again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭cascar

I know a few restaurants in Dublin which are serving Pho at the moment but i wouldn't recommend them to anyone. None of the chefs are Vietnamese as far as I know but hopefully Ho Sen will be opened again soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

Damn - I opened this thread hoping to find pho :(

It's probably the single dish I miss the most, I make pho expeditions every time I go abroad!

If you've got a few hours and can buy some marrow bones, you can have a go at making it yourself - getting the broth right is the tricky bit, but after that you're laughing... try Rasa Malaysia or Viet World Kitchen for recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

apparently Neon on Camden St do a good Pho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

There's a new place on Capel St - Aobaba, which does a kind of passable version of Pho, plus Bahn Mi!

I've only been there once and had the Pho, my thoughts:
    - Broth was more clear, and not very beefy - was definitely missing the spices and marrow base
    - Bean sprouts came in the bowl, NOT on the side
    - Side dish only contained a wedge of lemon and some sliced chilli (not the small chillis either) - no mint or vietnamese basil
    - Beef was not fillet, and hence didn't come sliced raw - it was melt in your mouth though
    - Condiments included the all important chilli oil, sriracha chilli sauce and fish sauce, but sadly no hoisin sauce

All in all - it was really really tasty, but just not the Pho I've been craving... however they've got a few varieties of noodle soups and since there's nowhere else that does anything like this I'd recommend giving them a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Just tried Aobaba myself; yeah, I was a bit surprised the pho is clear. It's tasty but missing something....

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

Sorry for dragging up and old thread, but would love to know peoples opinions as of whats out there now!

Hearing the Pho Viet is of good standard, but anywhere else to recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

jossnjuice wrote: »
    Sorry for dragging up and old thread, but would love to know peoples opinions as of whats out there now!

Hearing the Pho Viet is of good standard, but anywhere else to recommend?

Place in Temple Bar? Poor.

Place on Parnell Street, quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Love Pho Viet. Go quite regularly. The Pho with the brisket and rare steak is delicious, plus it's pretty cheap for a huge bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

It went from €6.50 or €6.95 to €9.50 won't be back.

Advertisement