Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't boards.ie make you confirm your account with a mobile number?

Options
  • 17-04-2012 3:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭

In other systems, youtube I think and gmail, you have to confirm with a mobile number. This system, if employed, will reduce the number of accounts a person can have to essentially one, or even confirm with a sms and pay a paltry fee of 1 euro, the reduction in traffic form trolls and hence advert viewing will then be recouped in sms registration fees ??? :D
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Hmmmmmm....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You don't need a mobile number to use google or youtube. And it would suck if they excluded boards members who didn't have a mobile phone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

In other systems, youtube I think and gmail, you have to confirm with a mobile number.

Are you sure you aren't getting confused with synching a Gmail account to an android phone?

Otherwise... eh... how about you give it a go and find out for sure like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

As far as I know, with Gmail you can add your mobile number to regain access if your account is ever compromised.

I'm not sure it's something that would really be worth our while doing and it would also raise a whole new slew of Data Protection issues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I think and gmail, you have to confirm with a mobile number.
    It's only an option, not a requirement.
    And it would suck if they excluded boards members who didn't have a mobile phone.

Agree with pickarooney.
    I'm not sure it's something that would really be worth our while doing and it would also raise a whole new slew of Data Protection issues.
    Agree with Nicola. This would be opening a can of worms in terms of ensuring member confidentiality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Such a measure would cost money while simultaneously creating a barrier preventing new users from signing up.

I'm going to make a wild guess that the OP is not a marketing prodigy.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

If I was trying to join boards for the first time and it asked for my number I wouldn't bother. I doubt I'm in a significant minority in that

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

seamus wrote: »
    Such a measure would cost money while simultaneously creating a barrier preventing new users from signing up.

I'm going to make a wild guess that the OP is not a marketing prodigy.
    As far as I know, with Gmail you can add your mobile number to regain access if your account is ever compromised.

Thing is, boards already have a optional field where they ask for your number. It was in place for the (never implemented?) Boards Beep. Now, there would likely be Data Protection issues regarding its use if it was entered, but the facility is certainly already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, but from a purely business sense, the "making money" part of boards.ie's business model involves selling ad space to advertisers. As the new adage goes - when you're getting something for free and you can't figure out what the product is, then you are the product. So it would make no sense to require mobile confirmation because you would be limiting the inflow of new users.

An optional data field poses fewer data protection issues. For mandatory data the company needs to show a good reason for storing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Oh I'm certainly not for it being mandatory, but I can see how it would be useful for people to be able to use it to reset passwords or otherwise prove identity if and when needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

How would boards confirm the number? you could use anyone's number. I would not be happy giving my phone number to a site where you are anonymous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

hondasam wrote: »
    How would boards confirm the number? you could use anyone's number. I would not be happy giving my phone number to a site where you are anonymous.
    Same way it verifies your email when you sign up - using an autoresponder.
    Basically, you'd get an sms with a pin number that you enter on your profile.

Oh, and pretty much nobody is anonymous on the internet these days. :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Steve wrote: »
    Oh, and pretty much nobody is anonymous on the internet these days. :)

That is correct Steve. If that is in fact your real name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

What if you didn't have a mobile...?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Nodin wrote: »

All the cool kids would mock you relentlessly by tweeting from their Blackberries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Nodin wrote: »

I think boards.ie should make you confirm your account with a mob..... Oh
    :D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭bananarama22

hondasam wrote: »

you would have to send a confirmation text back, or recieve a confirmation code, just like confirming by email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

We are currently looking into a few approaches to tackling spammers in our reg process at the moment to make it harder for spammers to sign up.

Mobile verification is currently not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Certainly not giving my number, imagining having Gordon ringing you up at all hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Certainly not giving my number, imagining having Gordon ringing you up at all hours!

He'd ban anyone that doesn't answer his drunken ramblings :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement