Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation to remove cataracts from a Diabetic Dog

• 17-04-2012 3:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭

Folks.

Just looking for some advice for my brother's dog. He is a 10 year old Kerry Blue and over the last year he has developed Diabetes and has to be given 2 insulin shots a day. He has also developed cataracts and the poor thing is walking into walls and and he has gone from a dog that was always our running to one that slowly walks around the house. He is in good health otherwise as he is brought to the vets once a month and giving a full check up.

Anyway my brother never got dog insurance so at the moment is paying for the insulin and vet visits himself. He would love to give the dog a chance of having the cataracts removed but he is getting quoted prices in the thousands for the operation. He just doesnt have that much money. Even if there was a way he could pay it over a year or two he could do that but that is not an option with the vet he brings the dog too and he cant get a bank loan for that amount.

I was wondering if vets fees are cheaper up north and if that is an option that he could consider? He knows the operation to remove the cataracts may not be a success but he would like to give his dog to chance to have at least some of his sight back.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

gazzer wrote: »
    Folks.

Just looking for some advice for my brother's dog. He is a 10 year old Kerry Blue and over the last year he has developed Diabetes and has to be given 2 insulin shots a day. He has also developed cataracts and the poor thing is walking into walls and and he has gone from a dog that was always our running to one that slowly walks around the house. He is in good health otherwise as he is brought to the vets once a month and giving a full check up.

Anyway my brother never got dog insurance so at the moment is paying for the insulin and vet visits himself. He would love to give the dog a chance of having the cataracts removed but he is getting quoted prices in the thousands for the operation. He just doesnt have that much money. Even if there was a way he could pay it over a year or two he could do that but that is not an option with the vet he brings the dog too and he cant get a bank loan for that amount.

I was wondering if vets fees are cheaper up north and if that is an option that he could consider? He knows the operation to remove the cataracts may not be a success but he would like to give his dog to chance to have at least some of his sight back.

Thanks

One of my dogs has had cataracts in both eyes removed in the last 6 months. Fees are about €2500 per eye. First eye was a huge success however the second eye is a disaster! Her vision is not focused. Vet thinks the optical nerve may have become damaged during operation. My other half regrets us getting it done as her vision is so much worse now e.g If I throw a tennis ball it will go over her head and she will keep looking at me and wait for me to throw it! All treats have to be given to her in her dog bowl as her eyesight is not focused. She is also very unsettled and jumpy in relatives houses. (she was always so calm and is a therapy dog) Along with eye dropsshe is now on blood pressure tablets to try an improve her sight (it is supposedly a side effect) and very expensive supplements that insurance company will only cover a month of. I don't blame vet he is very good he said operation was technically a success etc etc. The cost is huge and aftercare visits are so frequent (it is not included in €2500). My last monthly visit costed €137. To be honest my advice I would leave the Old dog be. Maybe try supplements etc first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

If it was my dog i wouldnt do it. Not only because its costs an astronomical amount but it may return in a few years. I would concentrate on making sure his diabetes is stabilised as one of the consequences of high glucose over a long period of time is diabetic retinopathy, basically damage to the blood vessels to the retina.

Diabetes is incredibly difficult to manage successfully long term unfortunately and if he does help his sight he will probably be faced with other problems later down the line eg. nephropathy or kidney damage. Id be saving my money for something like this tbh as dogs do absolutely grand with no eyesight but not without their kidneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 equigs

anniehoo wrote: »
    If it was my dog i wouldnt do it. Not only because its costs an astronomical amount but it may return in a few years. I would concentrate on making sure his diabetes is stabilised as one of the consequences of high glucose over a long period of time is diabetic retinopathy, basically damage to the blood vessels to the retina.

Diabetes is incredibly difficult to manage successfully long term unfortunately and if he does help his sight he will probably be faced with other problems later down the line eg. nephropathy or kidney damage. Id be saving my money for something like this tbh as dogs do absolutely grand with no eyesight but not without their kidneys.

ok just to clear up a few things. Lucky dogs dont live long enough to develop the above conditions caused by daibetes. they will get cataracts, but thats about it. they also tolerate high blood sugar much better than us humans. so retinopathy and kidney damage only happen us poor humans..

equigs wrote: »
    so retinopathy and kidney damage only happen us poor humans..
    While its not a very common consequence of poorly managed diabetes, it is certainly not limited to only humans so i dont know where you're getting your info. Sure my own cat died of kidney failure due to nephropathy caused by diabetes that was incredibly difficult to manage as she was mainly an outdoor cat.

anniehoo wrote: »
    so retinopathy and kidney damage only happen us poor humans..
    While its not a very common consequence of poorly managed diabetes, it is certainly not limited to only humans so i dont know where you're getting your info. Sure my own cat died of kidney failure due to nephropathy caused by diabetes that was incredibly difficult to manage as she was mainly an outdoor cat.

Cats get nerve damage ok AND retinopathy. Dogs don't.

• Advertisement

Cats get nerve damage ok AND retinopathy. Dogs don't.
    Paper
    Link
    Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,118 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It looks like that this could be one more thing to add to the list of things wrong with our guy. From the research i've done eye problems are very hard to treat and also rather costly, one site said €2.5k per eye! That is something that we simply couldn't justify for a 12yr old dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

ryanf1 wrote: »
    It looks like that this could be one more thing to add to the list of things wrong with our guy. From the research i've done eye problems are very hard to treat and also rather costly, one site said €2.5k per eye! That is something that we simply couldn't justify for a 12yr old dog.

Ryanf1 you are right leave the dog be. We have gotten both eyes done on our girl in the last year to find she now has nerve damage and is going blind anyway! Dogs cope very well with limited or no sight as long as you don't move things around (or else they will bump into things). Their sense of smell is amazing and I always just put things under her nose now.

Millem wrote: »
    ryanf1 wrote: »

Ryanf1 you are right leave the dog be. We have gotten both eyes done on our girl in the last year to find she now has nerve damage and is going blind anyway! Dogs cope very well with limited or no sight as long as you don't move things around (or else they will bump into things). Their sense of smell is amazing and I always just put things under her nose now.

When my dog was first diagnosed, our vet asked if we wanted to get the dog "put to sleep". I explained to the vet that I am a type one diabetic and what if my doctor had his attitude when I was first diagnosed????
    Anyway, I got a new vet. Doggie soon went blind with cataracts but is coping really well and is very happy. The op to "clear" cataracts involves totally removing the lens, which really screws up their focus and balance.

Advertisement