Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re ATMs abroad

Options
  • 17-04-2012 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi
    I thought that when using my credit card in an ATM on holidays (I put money into it rather than use its credit function) that the rate I receive for my foreign money is the bank of Ireland rate. Is this true?
    I read online that "ATMs give good rates". If the rate is being set by the card issuing bank rather than the bank that has the atm, how can this be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi IMightKnow,

On your credit card the exchange rate you receive when withdrawing money abroad is MasterCard/ Visa's exchange rate.

The rate that applies to the transaction is not the rate on the day that you take out the money. It is the rate on the day the transaction is billed to the credit card statement. Even if you are in credit, when you withdraw money in another currency, there will be a cross-border handling fee also applied which is calculated at 1.75% of the transaction.

I hope this clears it up.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭IMightKnow

Thats great yes, thank you.

One more question...am I right in thinking that at 1.75% fee, using credit card is cheaper than bank of ireland debit?

Hi IMightKnow,

It would depend on the amount and type of the transaction you are doing as to which would be cheaper.

The fees for using your laser card abroad would be:
    -At an atm machine is 3.5% and it does have a minimum charge of €3.17 with a maximum charge of €11.43 per transaction.
    -At a point of sale, ie a retailer, is 1.75% and it has a minimum charge of €0.46 with a maximum charge of €11.43 per transaction.

These same fees and limits will apply when you get your Bank of Ireland Visa debit card as well.

If you have any other questions please ask.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Hi IMightKnow,

It would depend on the amount and type of the transaction you are doing as to which would be cheaper.

The fees for using your laser card abroad would be:
    -At an atm machine is 3.5% and it does have a minimum charge of €3.17 with a maximum charge of €11.43 per transaction.
    -At a point of sale, ie a retailer, is 1.75% and it has a minimum charge of €0.46 with a maximum charge of €11.43 per transaction.

These same fees and limits will apply when you get your Bank of Ireland Visa debit card as well.

If you have any other questions please ask.
    Thanks
    Linda

Linda, can you tell me whether these figures you quote are the same in:

BOI machine up north
    AIB / Northern / Ulster Bank machine in Northern Ireland
    Other bank machine in NI
    BOI machine in GB
    Post Office ATM in GB
    Other bank machine in GB, i.e. Halifax, Tesco, Barclays.

Hi Terrontress,

The figures quoted in my previous two posts apply to using your credit/debit card outside the eurozone so would apply in Northern Ireland and UK as both use sterling. It doesn't apply if the transaction is in euro.

If using another bank's machine they may apply charges but you would have to check that with them.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Sorry if I'm being a bit stupid here but is there no fee then for withdrawing money from an atm in the eurozone apart from fees applied by the atm itself or from a merchant charging in euro's?

Thanks.

Hi BKtje,

Regarding withdrawing money from an atm, you are correct once your credit card is in credit, as in you are taking your own money from the card. If it is not in credit the charges would be €2.54 or 1.5% of the amount you withdraw, whichever is higher, and this is known as the cash advance fee.
    If it is a merchant, they may charge something for using the card but you would have to check that with them.

The charges for your laser card are the same as using your laser card in Ireland.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks
    Linda

Advertisement