Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How hard are the people of after hours

• 17-04-2012 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

I'm sitting on the couch in my gaff foot up on the table with two broken toes , I've an ice pack on them but I'm refusing to go to the doctors , its only toes and they'll be grand !

My mum broke one of her's before and went to the doctor waited ages and he said just rest it and bind it to the other toes , I'm not forking out 50 quid just for that so I'm going to struggle through , act tough and bind them myself :D

But because my flat mate is trying to guilt trip me into going to the doctor , women eh ? , :rolleyes: , I need examples of grievous injuries the people of AH went through and didn't get the attention of the HSE , so I can say I'll be grand :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I have a booboo on my finger :(

Do you want a kick in the face?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Your nasty story made me cry. I'm telling my mammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Walked a considerable distance on a broken leg, thinking at the time I'd only sprained the ankle. I guess it was adrenaline taking over though as my pain threshold is usually quite low.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

You're not going to the doctor because you're not willing to pay 50 quid.

That's not hard, that's tight.

If you were on a medical card you'd be in that doc's office right now.

Not that I am slagging. I'd probably be the same. Public health services are a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I just had Barbed Wire Sambos for Lunch

21/25

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Well I schite bricks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

If the pain starts going up your leg it could be a blood cloth and you'll die. GO TO A DOCTOR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Cut them toes off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm sitting on the couch in my gaff foot up on the table with two broken toes , I've an ice pack on them but I'm refusing to go to the doctors , its only toes and they'll be grand !

My mum broke one of her's before and went to the doctor waited ages and he said just rest it and bind it to the other toes , I'm not forking out 50 quid just for that so I'm going to struggle through , act tough and bind them myself :D

But because my flat mate is trying to guilt trip me into going to the doctor , women eh ? , :rolleyes: , I need examples of grievous injuries the people of AH went through and didn't get the attention of the HSE , so I can say I'll be grand :p

No win situation, here:

You go to the doctor:
    Woman - "Ah, poor LostCorkGuy - a little stubbed toe and he's off to the doctor-woctor--boo hoo.... Feckin wimp."

You don't go to the doctor:
    Woman - "Feckin' LostCorkGuy - half his foot is broken and too scared to go see a bloody doctor..."

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I need examples of grievous injuries the people of AH went through and didn't get the attention of the HSE , so I can say I'll be grand :p

I once became trapped by a boulder in an isolated slot canyon in southeastern Utah, and was eventually forced to amputate my own right arm in order to free myself.
    No biggie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

RichieC wrote: »
    If the pain starts going up your leg it could be a blood cloth and you'll die. GO TO A DOCTOR.

Don't be silly you wont die from toes :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Everyone knows it's pointless going to the Doc with broken toes, they can't do anything for you except tell you to rest them. You'd only go to get a cert to keep you off work perhaps!

You are not hard OP, you are just doing what anyone else would do :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

As hard as keyboards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I once headbutted a keg. Not the best drunken idea. Have a scar on my forehead to prove it!

mikom wrote: »
    I once became trapped by a boulder in an isolated slot canyon in southeastern Utah, and was eventually forced to amputate my own right arm in order to free myself.
    No biggie.

made a fortune out of it too or so I heard , selling you're story like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

People break toes all the time and most don't bother about the doctor. I'm not going to say you're doing the right thing, but it's what I'd do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

My tears could cure cancer. Too bad I have never cried.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

OP, I take it you're in a little doubt about whether you should go to the doctor or not and want us to reassure you that you're doing the right thing.

Well, I won't do that.
    Every break is different: some can be fixed easily, others need a lot of attention, and a doctor is the best person to figure out what the case is with your toes.

Also, I once pulled out my own big toenail, so Oi'm well 'ard, innit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

made a fortune out of it too or so I heard , selling you're story like that

*High five*

Ooops, wrong arm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

'hard as nails, kunts'

kfallon wrote: »
    Everyone knows it's pointless going to the Doc with broken toes, they can't do anything for you except tell you to rest them. You'd only go to get a cert to keep you off work perhaps!

You are not hard OP, you are just doing what anyone else would do :rolleyes:

I'm going to assume for the purpose of this thread that you're the jockey ;) And we all know jockeys are made of rubber not bones

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Broke my wrist in school last year but stuck out the day because i didn't think it was that bad. B)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Was on a fishing trip and the boat anchor fell onto my big toe and broke it.....dropped it onto the rest of my toes because of the 'odd' feeling in my big toe.

The first part of that story is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You looking for a ride or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

RichieC wrote: »

Don't be silly, you don't just blurt out your problem.
    You go to the doctors for a bad cough or an ouchy ear and then when he finishes the examination and reaches to shake your hand you say that you hurt your foot badly, got electrocuted, your arms went black etc.
    Healthcare 101 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Can't do much to repair broken toes except to strap them to non-broken ones. How did you break your toes **** anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My Dad had to have one of his toes removed last week because he broke it at some point, it never healed, and he ignored the pain for more than a year.

Another six months and he would have lost his foot. True story. Though in most cases if you just bind the broken toe to a good toe beside it and don't do anything stupid like go for a run, it'll heal up.

I've cracked and/or bruised my ribs twice, but never bothered with a doctor. Wasn't going to spend money on a GP and X-Rays only for them to tell me, "Nothing we can do for you, just don't do anything strenuous for a few weeks and you'll be grand".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'll put you through the wall of A & E. Well 'ard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Broke my heel bone in a night club while off my nut on disco biscuits, didn't bother going to the A&E after it happened; went back to a house party instead and banged another couple of pills, which was pretty much a fcuking waste of time as I couldn't really dance with the broken heel and all.

Spent six painful weeks in crutches as a result. However a decade on its healed so well that I can't remember was it the right or left foot which incurred the injury.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'd take candy from a baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I died once. I got better.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

smash wrote: »
    You looking for a ride or something?

Can't believe it took so long for a reply of this nature, quite disappointed.

OT: Split my head when I was younger, refused to go to the hospital because I was scared too hard for that crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Hard enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

I broke 2 bones in my right hand, turns out the human skull is VERY hard. I had a cast up to my elbow and I was told I might need surgery once the cast came off after 6 weeks.
    I got bored not being in work, at the time I was working as a bouncer. After a fortnight I took the cast off myself.
    I never went back to the hospital.
    I'm not saying I'm hard, but I will sometimes admit to being an idiot. The worst bit was after being back in work a new guy started and I shook hands with him. He was a bonecrusher, literally in this case and I felt the half healed bones snap again.
    I still have one knuckle lower than the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I was helping the old man fit central heating in a house one summer during the hols, and one day I was standing under a doorway like a dick, while he was on a ladder bashing a hole above the doorway so's he could feed a pipe through it. Unfortunately a brick landed on my head and the blood started gushing. I asked him if he'd give me a lift to the hospital and he said "You've got your bike haven't ya?".

So I peddled off 5 miles to the A&E with blood pouring down my face and got about thirty stitches in the top of my head. My skull was obviously too thick to have any other damage.

My old man was a hard bastard, but that day I was harder than he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I fell 40,000 feet onto jagged rocks below.

But folks were tougher back then. I was jutterbugging later that night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

So hard that my toes don't break. Have you ickle girlie toes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I fell awkwardly playing a soccer match about 4 years ago. Got VERY winded and chest felt strange, and my breathing was strained to say the least. I had to come off about 10 mins later but just put it down to a muscle tear or something like that.

Two days pass, and there is no let up. I go to my doc who says after about 10 secs, that I more than likely have been walking around for 3 days with a collapsed lung.

My reaction something along the lines of :eek:

I go straight to the Regional, X ray confirms that it is 70% collapsed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumothorax) and I need a procedure straight away, where they stick a tube in me to drain the fluid and re-inflate. I was in for a week.

It reoccurred a year later, thus setting alarms bells off so corrective surgery was the next step.

Good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

Around 7 inches on a good day

• Advertisement

Two years ago I fell at Electric Picnic on the Friday night. Left ankle and Right leg below the knee were killing me. Went to the rave in the forest and all. Next morning, drove into Portlaoise and got nurofen and voltarol gel (they wouldn't even give me nurofen plus!). Danced the weekend away.

Turned out I tore the ligaments in one of my ankles and broke my right knee. Whoopsadaisydoodles :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭Thud

how far is the bone sticking out? If you can shove it back in you should be fine if not you might need to go to the doctor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I went to a Pendulum gig with a broken rib a year or two back. I found myself in the mosh pit, and when I eventually broke out of it I had to spend most of the night in the smoking area as the bass from the gig was killing me.

Think that's the only time I broke anything. Dislocated my shoulder a few times when I was younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I killed chuck norris:cool:

John Doe1 wrote: »
    I killed chuck norris:cool:

Uh huh.

Is that how you ended up a John Doe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

When I was 13 or 14, I vaguely remember a stabbing pain in my lower back. I lost the use of my legs for what seemed like hours, but was probably minutes. I just waited it out and eventually I came round - no big deal.

This could have been a dream......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Ive a black belt in every martial art- even those not invented yet- and I would do some serious damage- yet rather go online and complain about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

MajorMax wrote: »
    I broke 2 bones in my right hand, turns out the human skull is VERY hard. I had a cast up to my elbow and I was told I might need surgery once the cast came off after 6 weeks.
    I got bored not being in work, at the time I was working as a bouncer. After a fortnight I took the cast off myself.
    I never went back to the hospital.
    I'm not saying I'm hard, but I will sometimes admit to being an idiot. The worst bit was after being back in work a new guy started and I shook hands with him. He was a bonecrusher, literally in this case and I felt the half healed bones snap again.
    I still have one knuckle lower than the others.

Next time don't punch someone in the forehead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

At half-time I reset my broken leg, stitched up the gaping wound where the bone had come through, cauterised it using the tin from my hurley and went on to win the first of my all-Ireland hurling medals.

Good times :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Once i tried to gas meself.The bill was 206 quid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement