Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thread closed by mod because i may take wrong advise

Options
  • 17-04-2012 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

guys

just wanted to make a complaint about this decision. I opened a thread in Legal discussions seeking some clarification.

the mod in question said i cant ask for advice as its against the charter, which is fair enough. but in my opinion his response was condescending he alluded to me not knowing what i was talking about and instead of maybe being clear himself in his response he said "there was a flaw in my reasoning" without clarifying.

when someone else pointed out what he meant and he verified that I just responded asking why he didn't say that in the first place. his response was

"I could have - yes.

This thread is now being closed. It is quite clear that you might rely on some form of representation here which may not be correct. "

the first part IMO is a tad condescending, and no one made any representations nor did i in my opinion seek legal advice as in "do i have a case" or "can i sue" i simple asked "do i need a lawyer or can i go it alone" now if that's considered seeking legal advice fair enough but then the mod should have closed the thread after his first response and not allowed the thread continue.

i think the thread wasn't closed because of any thing that MAY be said but more because of what i said to him in my last post

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Without prejudice to comments from CMODs or Admins:

I will respond accordingly below, although I'm not sure it's appropriate given that the moderation complaint is made/levelled against me.

I shut a thread on the Complainant on the basis that first advice was being sought, and secondly that the point being clarified were basic enough that reliance on wrong comments tended to make me believe that the OP/complainant was acting or seeking to act in breach of the charter.

Whatever about his/her perceptions as to my attitude, I did give it time to develop - perhaps wrongly. As OP/Complainant said, maybe I should have killed it off immediately.

When does procedural advice on law, become in breach of the charter? Diverging views on that I guess.

The crux of the issue here is that if and when, the OP/Complainant or anyone else takes comments, or so called advice on board and it is wholly incorrect. Should it be allowed to continue? The answer in just about every instance is no.

Recourse to a properly insured legal adviser is why the Legal Discussion charter is drafted the way it is.

The OP/Complainant had done little wrong, to be fair. He/She is also welcome at any stage to the Legal Discussion thread and in re. any point, in case any impression has been given, taken or created to the contrary.

Regards,

Tom

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hello Faolchu.

Can I refer you to read the thread out at the top of the forum, which is not hard to locate, as it says:

(¯`·._.· BEFORE YOU START A NEW THREAD - READ THIS ·._.·´¯)

The reason we have it like that is to try and avoid people coming in to complain, without having followed the procedure, which is:
    1. First PM the moderator you are having difficulty with, or who you feel is wrong
    2. If you still feel the moderator is incorrect, or you are not happy with their answer, you must then inform that moderator's CMod with the issue, so they can investigate and make a decision.
    3. If you are still unhappy with the CMod's decision, you may start a thread in here for the site administrators to see, and the thread should include all relevant material for the administrators to make a decision, which is final and does not have a right of appeal.
    When you have followed that procedure, please post on this thread for the administrators to adjudicate on the matter. If this thread is closed after being idle for 14 days or more, it will be moved into the Archive, but you will be allowed to start a new thread in here and refer to this thread without any penalty for doing so.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

As there's been no further replies for weeks, this is being closed and archived.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement