Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FETAC External Examiners

• 17-04-2012 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am in my first year of teaching and am currently teaching a FETAC Level 5 course in Teamworking worth 1 credit.

I am very nervous about the external examiner coming in at the end of the year checking my work. Do they question where the results have come from as there is no final exam, just Skills Demonstration (60%) and a Learner Record (40%).

I am a worrier and fearing that I might get a grilling even though im doing my best, taking photos and evidence of students work, etc. Just not sure how to mark their works!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Have everything labelled clearly. Make it as easy as possible for them. I was never checked on anything, not saying I'm great or anything, just that they're fairly chilled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

Theyll be looking for evidence of the work students have done and you've got that covered. External examiners take a selection of distinctions, merits and passes to make sure the marks awarded reflect the work done/submitted. You'll be grand )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

If you are in a publicly funded centre ie Dept then this year will be different from previous years as they are now External Authenticators and they are selected by the provider not assigned by FETAC.

You first life line will be your Internal Vertifier who should ensure that you are fully prepared for the EA. The provider should have a sampling strategy in place for use by the EA - in the past they selected the folders they wished to see themselves and a spread of grades - most providers have followed this type of policy in the design of their sampling strategy for the EA process.

But ask to see your Assessment Procedures section of the QA Policy as that is what the EA will be guided by and will expect to see in your work.

An EAwill at the very least check that there are assessment briefs, evidence and marking sheets. I would advise that in addition to the module marking sheet that you have some guidelines as to how you broke down the marks eg in the Learner Journal there are 10 marks for comprehensive description of activities, challenges and positive experiences so how did you allocated the marks and say if you gave a student 8 marks - why - show where the marks came from.

Make sure that the folders are neatly presented, that all evidence is clearly labelled and that there is necessary equipment etc present for them to view the evidence eg DVD player etc for the skills demonstration.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Do the EA's need a folder for each individual student or would a USB key with everything on it be suffice?

Hey all,

I have attached the module descriptor for the course I am teaching. Not really sure what sort of things I can give as assignments as part of their skills demonstration? Looks very open to interpretation!!

Any advice?:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Pan Man

Hi guys,

I am also in my first year teaching and will appreciate any advice given.

Armaghmagic, there is an update to the Teamwork module descriptor, it is now Team Working 5N1367. How did you find teaching it for the first time?

Pan Man wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I am also in my first year teaching and will appreciate any advice given.

Armaghmagic, there is an update to the Teamwork module descriptor, it is now Team Working 5N1367. How did you find teaching it for the first time?

Thanks for that, a colleague of mine is teaching it this term so will pass the info on.

I enjoyed it. Took them on trips and did ice breakers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pan Man

cheers, I would appreciate that

Pan Man wrote: »
    cheers, I would appreciate that

I meant I will let her know about the update to the course. But of course anything I can help with just let me know.

What do you want help with?

Advertisement