Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming sole trader

Options
  • 17-04-2012 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hope you can help me with this because I am horrible at this kind of things :)

I have been webmaster of a Spanish webpage for many years. I charge €400 a month for it (€4800 a year). Previously I didn't bill for that but now I need to do it.

That said...here are my questions:

1) what do I have to do to become a sole trader?.

2) How much do I have to pay for it bearing in mind that I only charge €4800 a year?.

3) Is it possible to bill here in Ireland for a service for a Spanish company?.

4) can they transfer me the money to a Spanish bank account or it has to be an Irish one?

I'd also like to mention that I have a "normal" job in a company so I wouldn't be only a self-employed person

I am sorry for asking so basic questions but I am completely lost.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭billybunty

living wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hope you can help me with this because I am horrible at this kind of things :)

I have been webmaster of a Spanish webpage for many years. I charge €400 a month for it (€4800 a year). Previously I didn't bill for that but now I need to do it.

That said...here are my questions:

1) what do I have to do to become a sole trader?.

2) How much do I have to pay for it bearing in mind that I only charge €4800 a year?.

3) Is it possible to bill here in Ireland for a service for a Spanish company?.

4) can they transfer me the money to a Spanish bank account or it has to be an Irish one?

I'd also like to mention that I have a "normal" job in a company so I wouldn't be only a self-employed person

I am sorry for asking so basic questions but I am completely lost.

Thanks in advance!
    Hi, im not sure you need to "become" a sole trader, i think you'll just be classified as a paye worker with extra income.
    Either way what i think you need to
    Do is send in an form 11 and fill it in with all the details as per your p60 at 31st dec 2012. Heres where you declare extra income. Revenue would then write back to you with a balancing statement stating how much you owe.
    This is as far as im aware as to what would happen.
    As for invoicing to spain, there would be no vat chargable as its within an eu country, but for this i think you would need your own vat number. To get this you fill in form tr2. Your vat no.will be the same as your pps no.
    The spainish company can pay you by draft/bank transfer/cheque etc. As regards if its into a spanish account i presume thats ok as you still tecnically have to declare it here.
    I would give your local revenue office a call, tell them your set up& the amount if money involved& they'd let you know what you'd be facing tax wise.
    Naturally i stand to be corrected on any if the above!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

billybunty wrote: »
    As for invoicing to spain, there would be no vat chargable as its within an eu country, but for this i think you would need your own vat number. To get this you fill in form tr2. Your vat no.will be the same as your pps no.

If it's only 4k a year you don't need to worry about VAT (threshold for services is 37.5k/yr). Just don't charge it.

If for some reason you do have to charge VAT, you'll need to register for VAT, and submit VAT returns every 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭living

Thank you very much for the answers :)

I think I will ring them and see what I have to do. I'll post the answer :)

Thanks again!

Thanks again!
    Ya id be interested in what they say as by coincidence a friend asked me the exact same thing last night!
    I might add in my donkeys yrs if experience its good to call them twice to make sure you get the same answers & take a note of their names & date of call..,. You might think its a bit much but its helped me in the past!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭thecelt

What kind of web site is it?

• Advertisement

billybunty wrote: »

Thanks again!

Advertisement