Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Pubs in D4 area?

Options
  • 17-04-2012 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

looking for tips/recommendations regarding good watering holes in the D4 area, will be out there on Friday night (20/4).

we are 3 gentlemen of discerning taste and appreciate all (well most) of the meats that make up our cultural stew :)

we are not looking for pubs with ****e music (i.e.) rihanna and other such muck.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Not strictly D4 but not a million miles away either; Ranelagh pretty much has everything you're looking for. McSorleys and Russells being my choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Smyth's Haddington Road,Begger's Bush,Slattery's,The Den Bar and The Wellington.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Kielys in Donnybrook is the mecca for D4's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Blouse

Along the same lines...I'm headin into city centre tonight...Anyone know a bar with cheap pints of porter on a Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

New pub on Bath Avenue, The Bath, worth investigating.

Full of googlers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

D4 is a large area, can you be specific on a local area without everyone naming about 100 pubs in the whole district? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

New pub on Bath Avenue, The Bath, worth investigating.

Full of googlers.

Thats not exactly a new pub, its an existing pub under new management with a new name, it happens alot. It(Murrays) was wrecked during a football match last year hence makeover and new image job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,430 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

cson wrote: »
    Not strictly D4 but not a million miles away either; Ranelagh pretty much has everything you're looking for. McSorleys and Russells being my choices.

+1 to McSorley's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

gurramok wrote: »
    D4 is a large area, can you be specific on a local area without everyone naming about 100 pubs in the whole district? ;)

hi. we will be staying in the ballsbridge hotel so something within walking distance of there i suppose. Is Searson's pub closed down these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Smyths on Haddington Road is a cracking little pub.

Birchalls in Ranelgah is nice if you want to skip to D6 (not far).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Paddy Cullens in Ballsbridge is very good. They have live music some nights too. Great atmosphere and old school Irish pub, and taxis queue outside to take you into town should you wish.

Mulligans in Sandymount Village is good too, but can be quiet some weekends.

Smyths is a decent spot.

Baggot Street (the Baggot mile) has about 14 pubs along it, to suit every taste, and plenty of pit stops to be made as you graudally make your way into town, arriving at Stephens Green at the very end, with some great pubs there (like O'Donoghues). Just swing up to your right coming out of Ballsbridge hotel (accross the street) and about a 5 minute walk, you'll start hitting the pubs.

Wellington along there is good also.

One of the best areas of the city for boozing though, around D4 / D2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Yep I'd go with Paddy Cullens too, great spot

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

who_ru wrote: »
    hi. we will be staying in the ballsbridge hotel so something within walking distance of there i suppose. Is Searson's pub closed down these days?

Yes, it shut down about nov last. Apparently it has been taken over by Charlie Chalk so hopefully will reopen soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

gurramok wrote: »
    Thats not exactly a new pub, its an existing pub under new management with a new name, it happens alot. It(Murrays) was wrecked during a football match last year hence makeover and new image job.

I know, but it loooks totally different and its got a new crowd (mainly pinched the Slatterys crowd).
    All the locals go to the Landsdowne.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

I know, but it loooks totally different and its got a new crowd (mainly pinched the Slatterys crowd).
    All the locals go to the Landsdowne.

Popped into The Bath last weekend on a sunny afternoon, tables outside will be a hit on a nice day. Nicely done inside, not doing food yet but said they will do once kitchen is ready.

IMO, Guinness not as good as Slatterys :) - it's a bit of a dive though & could do with a bit of a refurb

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

O briens near lesson street bridge is a lively bar. There can be some serious talent in there on Friday and Saturday nights. My guess is a lot of wans bail in there for a few before heading to bucks on lesson street to try and find some poor eegit like me to buy them drink for the night.

Advertisement