Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EZ Living & my money

Options
  • 17-04-2012 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭

Could be 2 or so years ago I bought some furniture. We had a change of heart and returned it. I wanted to money back to the credit card. But they charged a restocking fee and gave me a gift voucher instead.

Now a year ago, I verified that the card was still valid and was told not to worry, it wouldn't expire.

Today, I wanted to buy something but they said they found no record of the gift voucher (it a plastic card with their logo and a number on it). Furthermore they say it is expired and that they always have had an expiration of 2 years on their gift vouchers. When I explained this isn't what I was told and that any changes in their policy shouldn't affect me she just said, "sorry now that you were told something different" and stuck to her guns.

She wouldn't even knock off a reasonable discount off what I wanted to buy. Do I have any recourse or rights?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

newkie wrote: »
    Could be 2 or so years ago I bought some furniture. We had a change of heart and returned it. I wanted to money back to the credit card. But they charged a restocking fee and gave me a gift voucher instead.

Now a year ago, I verified that the card was still valid and was told not to worry, it wouldn't expire.

Today, I wanted to buy something but they said they found no record of the gift voucher (it a plastic card with their logo and a number on it). Furthermore they say it is expired and that they always have had an expiration of 2 years on their gift vouchers. When I explained this isn't what I was told and that any changes in their policy shouldn't affect me she just said, "sorry now that you were told something different" and stuck to her guns.

She wouldn't even knock off a reasonable discount off what I wanted to buy. Do I have any recourse or rights?

What does it say on the card? If there's an expired date on the card you have no rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

professore wrote: »
    What does it say on the card? If there's an expired date on the card you have no rights.

Nope! Doesn't say anything but "this is a prepaid gift card only. this is not a cheque guarantee, debit or credit card. There is no value stored on this card."

Were they within their rights when they refused to credit my credit card? I found this while searching:
    Refund
    If you opt for a refund, this can be in cash or by cheque, or the retailer can refund your credit or debit card account if you used one to buy the item. You do not have to accept a credit note or voucher as a refund as they are not equivalent to cash. You can choose a refund instead.

If this was true, I would certainly press never to have a gift card issued instead of a proper refund to my credit card again. Gift cards are such a scam!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

As the item was returned because of change of mind, rather than faulty the shop did not have to refund you at all so they were well within their rights to give you a giftcard.

As far as I understand unless there is an expire date on the card it should still be valid. I would write to head office about this, include a photocopy of the gift card. I would also include any documents you have relating to the furniture you bought and any documents you got when it was returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

newkie wrote: »
    Were they within their rights when they refused to credit my credit card?

Yes - because you returned the goods due to a change of mind. In fact, they didn't even have to take the goods back at all. But most retailers will give a refund, or in some cases a credit note.

If there is no expiry date on the card, or you weren't given any accompanying T&Cs, then I would argue that the card is still valid. However, we don't have legislation on gift cards here in Ireland (like they do in the US). A lot will depend on how much goodwill you can get from the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

all electronic gift cards have like a short/long unique digit code thats either on the card or on screen when swiped....when used it generates a receipt be it a return or purchase...have you a refund receipt??and/or original receipt...was one giving to you?Is the member of staff who returned the purchase currently working with the company?
    might be a crazy statement but you may be a victim to refund fraud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

dudara wrote: »
    If there is no expiry date on the card, or you weren't given any accompanying T&Cs, then I would argue that the card is still valid. However, we don't have legislation on gift cards here in Ireland (like they do in the US).

After the unflappable girl wound me up and I posted here I decided to go to the shop after work. I met with the manager who straight away said no problem and found the credit it less than 2 minutes.

It just goes to show when getting bad customer service from one employee to go away and try another as you often get different results. She claimed to have checked it up and asked with the manager but clearly was incompetent. I'd say she relied on the expiration policy as a convenient excuse due to her laziness and/or ineptitude.

Advertisement