Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Test Route Sligo

Options
  • 17-04-2012 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me what the route is or advise me how to get it?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

had my licence a few years now but unless things have changed there are no official routes... and i wouldnt go out expecting something because when something differnet happens it may put you off. did my test in donegal town and even with the small size and limited options still ended up doing the reverse around corner somewhere id never practiced.
    the driving instructer should know their favoured places but im guessing sligo is big enough that its impossible to cover all the options.

actually i think this was sligo... was there a tester who always said something like "follow the road ahead" where at one point it swings away and going straight on would bring you against a one way street... aparently a huge amount go straight on... could be a myth but lesson is its your general driving that tends to f you over in the test

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

Hi HOS 1997,

The best thing to do to get to know the route is to get a lesson in advance of your test, this way you can get tips along the way at tricky spots. Alternatively, the ISM has route maps for sale, here

http://www.ism.ie/shop

I don't know how reliable/accurate these are!

Any teacher will be able to show you the routes.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Done mine couple years ago. Twice.

From memory turned right out of the centre, then took the duel carriage way to the Caltragh turn. Turn in road and corner reverse around those estates. Cant remember where done hill start. Finished going up Pearse Rd, past retail park, and on to old N4 before turning right into test centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Where I did mine:

Right out of the centre. Down Pearse Road, took a right and went down to the cemetery and did my reverse around the corner down on the left there. Hill start outside the cemetery. Went up to Woodtown Lodge for my three point turn, then down town and went out the dual carriageway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

overshoot wrote: »
    actually i think this was sligo... was there a tester who always said something like "follow the road ahead" where at one point it swings away and going straight on would bring you against a one way street... aparently a huge amount go straight on... could be a myth but lesson is its your general driving that tends to f you over in the test
    Its a few years since I did mine but I think I know what you're talking about. Its the junction at the end of Temple street that swings to the right and up Mail Coach Road. If you take the instruction literally and go straight on you'll end up in the car park of the apartment building!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

overshoot wrote: »

Might have been the same thing not sure, coming down Gallows Hill my first instructer told me at the traffic lights to go straight ahead. Anyone not familar there is four roads going off the bottom of Gallows Hill, left for Hawks Well, right for going up MCR, and two straight ahead but in a V shape, one going on the High Road, and the other in to a dead end road. Before the test started I was told if I wanted to verify any question or instuction to ask. So approaching the bottom, I asked him to verify exactly which way did he want me to go, he simply gave me the exact same instruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Where I did mine:

Right out of the centre. Down Pearse Road, took a right and went down to the cemetery and did my reverse around the corner down on the left there. Hill start outside the cemetery. Went up to Woodtown Lodge for my three point turn, then down town and went out the dual carriageway.

And got a pass cos the tester thought this guy could be a Moderater some day!!!!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

HOS 1997 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the route is or advise me how to get it?

Basically you get into the car, start the engine and drive straight to hell and back again

Sorry couldn't resist. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Started out in Ballisodare near the NCT test centre, drove to the Carraroe roundabout and down Pearse Road. Sorry, my first circuit of the town was over Castle Street, over John Street, down Adelaide Street, turned right down Wine Street and up and around Connaughton road and Bridge Street.

Over Castle Street, down O'Connell Street and then onto Markeviz Road. Turned right onto Connaughton on Road, onto bridge Street, turned left onto Chapel Street, over Cranmore Road, through Martin Savage Terrave. Up around the Back Avenue road.

Then turn right onto Cleaveragh road, just past the Race Course entrance. I pulled into the left and did the reverse around the corner into Fatima Avenue, from Cleaveragh Road. Then back onto Cleaveragh Road and turned left onto Pearse Road.

Turned right onto New Circular Road, continuing over to Crozon Crescent. Did my 3 point turn up there and I then came back out onto Pearse Road. Drove out to the Carraroe roundabout. Then out past Molly Fultons and back to the test centre.

It was a good few years ago, but I‘m pretty certain that is all the route. Practice the reverse around the corner from Cleaveragh Road into Fatima Avenue, because it’s the trickiest spot in the town. Good luck with it.

Advertisement