Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build issues

Options
  • 17-04-2012 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

I recently built a new machine and re-used the hdd i had before but set this as secondary as i now have an SSD hd which i set as the primary. The HDD had windows on it, so i booted up and ran windows from the cd and installed it onto the SSD hdd. When starting up the system it says no devices found but then proceeds to see 2 versions of windows installed( one on the old hd and one on the new ssd). So since i had removed everything i needed from the old hdd i went to format using windows, which failed so then i download a partion wizard application which allowed me to format that part of the drive with old windows on it. It said then that it might not boot up as it was system drive, which i found strange as I had set it be the SSD drive as the primary instead.

So now since formatting the old section of the hdd drive that has windows on it before it doesn't boot up and just has a black screen after it gets pass showing me the press del to enter bios screen. When i enter the bios and go to set the boot priority to look at the SSD drive first it goes like its going to do something and then then just sits there on the black screen with the cursor blinking in the corner.

I'm not sure what i have done wrong or how i can get it recognise that the SSD drive has windows on it.

Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

what might have happened is windows dumped the boot manager onto the preexisting HDD and all hell broke loose.

Try unplug the HDD, then install windows onto the SSD again (after formatting it). only once you can boot into windows do you replug the HDD back in. dont forget to put the SATA into AHCI mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Hi Tea bag, thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try. What exactly is AHCI mode and when those this have to be activated?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

this needs to be activated before you install windows. well it can be done after, but its more hassle and you're doing a fresh install anyway.

what motherboard do you have?
    go into the BIOS (usually tap Del on system startup) and find your way to 'storage configuration' or 'SATA configuration' and change it from 'IDE mode' to 'AHCI mode'

BTW your username/pic bring back some childhood memories man. thanks :D

Ok cool. Thanks teabag. I was just thinking there though. Since i have formatted the partition on the old drive i need to move some of the stuff back off the SSD drive now. mostly just a good few gigs of games from my steam apps folder and origin games folder. So there anyway i can get access this aside from taking the drive out and putting it into a external caddy(which i don't currently have)? Would like to try and backup this stuff first if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Why backup your Steam folder? The whole idea of Steam is that you don't have to.

Anyway, you can connect both drives and boot of one of them, then move stuff over, that's not a problem. Just make sure that nothing you want to keep is on the SSD.

• Advertisement

I don't want to have to download about 40Gigs of games again is why i want to back up my steam apps folder.

Both drives are connected at the moment and i'm not able to boot, so don't really know what you mean tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Have you tried selecting each drive as primary boot device? Can you still not boot from either of them into anything?

Advertisement