Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art Exam 2012

• 17-04-2012 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

Got the art exam paper today and was less than pleased with it. The Calligraphy options are terrible and the life drawing 30min pose is overly complicated.

Was anyone else disappointed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭FinnD

Got the art exam paper today and was less than pleased with it. The Calligraphy options are terrible and the life drawing 30min pose is overly complicated.

Was anyone else disappointed?

I was pretty happy with the poster titles, much better than previous years :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

FinnD wrote: »

Haven't got mine yet, what are they if you don't mind me asking!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jmclee

i really amn't too impressed with the poster titles.. which are you going for do you know?

could the science one involve anything? like a bee on a flower showing pollination.. pollination is science? or is that really too irrelevant

i like to do natural/organic kinda stuff but ive been researching for the past hour and nothings coming to me..
    any ideas for tourism lads? few key words? i need some inspiration aaagh

I KNOW, the 30 minute pose is woeful
    still life passages were generous though

jmclee wrote: »

i really amn't too impressed with the poster titles.. which are you going for do you know?

could the science one involve anything? like a bee on a flower showing pollination.. pollination is science? or is that really too irrelevant

i like to do natural/organic kinda stuff but ive been researching for the past hour and nothings coming to me..
    any ideas for tourism lads? few key words? i need some inspiration aaagh

I KNOW, the 30 minute pose is woeful
    still life passages were generous though

Im thinking along the lines of city's for the tourism one, like big ben, eiffel tower, the spire with a city landscape maybe :/ I haven't seen the passages, anything handy mentioned?

Im thinking along the lines of city's for the tourism one, like big ben, eiffel tower, the spire with a city landscape maybe :/ I haven't seen the passages, anything handy mentioned?

Yeah I was too, like having them scattered around the earth or a globe, but they'd have to be a bit small to get writing and all in and I'm worried they wouldn't look great being small..

One passage is basically purely food-based, another is about a bike ride I think, another about dublin city.. they're grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 devilxangel

I was very happy with the Computer games exhibition... planning to do an fantasy/cyber art.

As for the passages... not so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

I like most of it. I'm gonna do the cafe logo for the design, haven't got imaginative composition yet but I read them online and one seems good! I agree about the 30 pose though, feckin hate drawing hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 flerg

Why don't you just stick to head and shoulders if you don't like drawing any of the other bits?

You get marks for explaining your reasoning for your subject choice, ie, pollination on your preliminary sheet.

flerg wrote: »
    Why don't you just stick to head and shoulders if you don't like drawing any of the other bits?

Because the hands have to be on the face? So I don't really have a choice!

• Advertisement

Duh, sorry! Haven't read through all papers.
    I draw them like mittens, no fingers till later.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g24/Gaara_Loves_Cookies/Howtodrawhands.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

I suck at drawing fingers :( i make them look like fish fingers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

I think it's the worst paper I've seen so far, the Poster titles are awful, and it seems like no thought was put into any of the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 PTheArtist

Yeah, the life drawing poses are a bit complicated than before, but I love drawing hands.

I think the options for the Poster are great though, definitely doing Computer Game Exibition. I wish their was better options for clay modelling though, since I was kinda hoping to do that.

these practicals have me so worried cos ive just worked out that essentially with the prep drawings and practice and actual exam for the poster and then the practice for still life and life drawing, i won't have an opportunity to study well for the next 3 weeks.. ill be too busy preparing for these cos when i take a break from it, studying a subject will be the last thing i wanna do :S and then around then I graduate? What's the craic like

looks like ill be cramming the 15 days before the lc woooooyayayayy
    ugh wish I studied over easter :(

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭wibblin

thought the art papers were not so nice this year, like the pottery and the modelling options were kinda hard with surrealism and "the optimist" and that, poster choice weren't too bad though but not great, although the imaginary/still life seemed pretty grand. between the art practicals practice and prep and my orals this week and next week then the grad on 22nd May....seriously will be doing the same of cramming the 2 weeks before the LC...should have started studying ages ago...slightly panicked!:/

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Absolutely hate both of the poses... I already think you don't get enough time to draw them but this year the poses are just awful! Not a clue how I'm gonna manage them :(

I'm doing screenprinting and wasn't mad about the actual themes. I've chosen "A Race". I'm going to screenprint the Titanic and there will be lettering which will say something to the effect of "A Race to the Bottom" . Not sure how I'll pull off printing the ship but I've decided I'm doing it anyway :P

Love the still life passages! I think they're really lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Have only gotten the craft exam papers - can someone tell me the poses for the life drawing please?

Have only gotten the craft exam papers - can someone tell me the poses for the life drawing please?

They're all on here! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

SeanMadd wrote: »
    30 minute pose is all kinds of disgusting............

• Advertisement

30 minute pose is all kinds of disgusting............

I know right? Why can't it just be a simple portrait!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

Thought that the 30minute pose would be really bad but we practiced in art today and it wasn't that bad...just have to position the hands properly and can put some hair over them:p

The science and computer games are kind of similar..so there's really little choice...but I do like the science one - which I'm gonna do:D

The still life I'm gonna do the market passage with the salmon and the fishmonger thing...gonna put some shells in, crab and king prawns:D Will have to freeze them but I don't think that many people will be doing it so I'm trying to be original lol:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 orangesoranges

need some inspirations lads!! SCREWED.COM, want to do lino printin so any ideas for grow, down the street or looking out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bladakan

I personally love the model poses, the 30 minute pose shouldn't be too difficult.. at least the way I understand it, the model will really be in a tight pose with most of the body going in the same direction, so there won't be a situation when one leg is heavily foreshortened and the other is done in profile and looks ridiculously big in comparison.

I'm more concerned about the design part. We didn't do much design outside of posters in my class, so currently I am brainstorming the perfume poster.
    I know that we have to make a prep sheet for it, but I don't quite get how the second of the 3 sheets work, as in, what is supposed to be on it exactly. My teacher didn't really tell us much about it so any explanations/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Bladakan wrote: »
    I personally love the model poses, the 30 minute pose shouldn't be too difficult.. at least the way I understand it, the model will really be in a tight pose with most of the body going in the same direction, so there won't be a situation when one leg is heavily foreshortened and the other is done in profile and looks ridiculously big in comparison.

I'm more concerned about the design part. We didn't do much design outside of posters in my class, so currently I am brainstorming the perfume poster.
    I know that we have to make a prep sheet for it, but I don't quite get how the second of the 3 sheets work, as in, what is supposed to be on it exactly. My teacher didn't really tell us much about it so any explanations/advise would be greatly appreciated.

The 'second sheet' is done at the very start of your 5 hour exam. On it you should roughly sketch out a couple of ideas for your final poster and possibly include some labels. Even if you have a final idea in your head, try sketch a few ideas anyway as there is marks going for this sheet. Don't spend more than 15 minutes on it but

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Missmiddleton

anyone any tips on how to do a successful prep sheet? whenever i do one it looks like a junior cert prep :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Into

Anyone any advice on the still life? ive read through the passages but nothings really jumped out at me,

I was thinking of doing passage C, and just drawing some bottles, cards a skull and maybe a pair of jeans..

But id much rather something simpler, seens as i did kind of leave it late in the day....

Any suggestions?

Did everyone do their design/craft today? How did ye get on? I seriously wish I did pottery or the poster option on the craft paper, would have so much time! I did the cafe logo which didn't turn out how I wanted and I barely got anything done on the preliminary! I swear that's such a pointless sheet, just give us the marks for the preparatory! :mad:

What are people doing for the imaginative?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 orangesoranges

Did everyone do their design/craft today? How did ye get on? I seriously wish I did pottery or the poster option on the craft paper, would have so much time! I did the cafe logo which didn't turn out how I wanted and I barely got anything done on the preliminary! I swear that's such a pointless sheet, just give us the marks for the preparatory! :mad:

What are people doing for the imaginative?

How did everyones whole art practical go? i did a lino print for craft (major mistake..carved out the window instead of the face, but i got through it), really liked the poses.. dont think i did too bad on them! also with my imaginative i did a semi-abstract paiinting of butterflies!! turned out really cool!! i act wonudlnt change anything ,,, SOOO HAPPY :D:D:D:D:D

what about you'se????

• Advertisement

How did everyones whole art practical go? i did a lino print for craft (major mistake..carved out the window instead of the face, but i got through it), really liked the poses.. dont think i did too bad on them! also with my imaginative i did a semi-abstract paiinting of butterflies!! turned out really cool!! i act wonudlnt change anything ,,, SOOO HAPPY :D:D:D:D:D

what about you'se????

You're done them all? We only had design/craft yesterday and the next 2 are next friday. Have you picture of it? Sounds cool :D Do the imaginative compositions have the include a 'human element'? My teacher said it has to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement