Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fare Evasion Accusation?

• 17-04-2012 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi guys Ive received summons to court saying that I was caught on the DART without a ticket almost a year ago. It has come from nowhere and Im ****ing clueless. It was at a station that I would have no business being at, somebody must've given my name and I dont know what to do?? Im due in court next month, do I ask for CCTV or something? Whoever gave my name, gave an address I havent lived at for almost 4 years aswell? My uncle had to tell me about the summons. Will I have to get a solicitor or what?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Write immediatly by regd post to whoever sent you the summoms setting out your case and asking that it be wiithdrawn.

state that if it is not withdrawn you will be seeking loss of income for having to attend court.

If it is not withdrawn within 14 days, ask for all relevant statements. details of other evidence etc. Register that letter also.

If no reply to either letter turn up on day of hearing with copies of the letters, one for judge, one for the solicitor against you.

V ery likely summons would be struck out.

If there are replies to either of the letters, talk to a solicitor

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Brigante

nuac wrote: »
    Write immediatly by regd post to whoever sent you the summoms setting out your case and asking that it be wiithdrawn.

state that if it is not withdrawn you will be seeking loss of income for having to attend court.

If it is not withdrawn within 14 days, ask for all relevant statements. details of other evidence etc. Register that letter also.

If no reply to either letter turn up on day of hearing with copies of the letters, one for judge, one for the solicitor against you.

V ery likely summons would be struck out.

If there are replies to either of the letters, talk to a solicitor

Good luck

Thanks! This happened before about 2 years ago and all these summons saying I hadnt turned up to court were arriving at my parents house, so much unneccessary hassle. Then I was given a number to ring a solicitor and the case was struck out for lack of evidence. Its pissing me off now for a second time, do you think it'll be same again? Some pr!ck is obviously giving my name and address whenever he gets in trouble! I very much doubt he had any ID that said he was me though or do they just take some fare dodgers word for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

sorry I have no idea, but most organisations prefer to get some convictions thru without spending too much time and money fighting any particular summons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Brigante wrote: »
    Thanks! This happened before about 2 years ago and all these summons saying I hadnt turned up to court were arriving at my parents house, so much unneccessary hassle. Then I was given a number to ring a solicitor and the case was struck out for lack of evidence. Its pissing me off now for a second time, do you think it'll be same again? Some pr!ck is obviously giving my name and address whenever he gets in trouble! I very much doubt he had any ID that said he was me though or do they just take some fare dodgers word for it?

If this has happened before then somebody has possibly stolen your identity.

Did the latest summons arrive at the same address as the previous ones?

Do you know anybody who uses the DART and the stations involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

You're name isn't Paddy Murphy is it? And you don't live at 15 Main Road, do you?

Seriously, I can't believe they'd accept a name and address without supporting ID, would they? Is it possible someone has an old bank statement of your or something?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

When I get caught, I usually tell them I'm either Eddie Rocket

Or

Des Kelly.....which usually gives them pause for thought...they step back and I nod "Yeah....the carpet man"

If you're confident and aggressive enough they actually believe you.

There's that old joke- two guys caught without tickets on the bus in Phibsborough.

Asked for their names, the first one looks out the window and sees the shop across the road:
    Des, he says.
    -Des what?
    - Des Kelly
    Second fella looks out the other side of the bus:
    - Ken, he says.
    -Ken what?

Ken Tucky Fried Chicken.

(Sorry)

They must ask for ID though. They can't just accept your word, surely? Although I would wonder what right the inspectors have to detain you. They never seem to call the guards for people caught on the Dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭jargon buster

They must ask for ID though. They can't just accept your word, surely?
    Wouldnt they have access to someone on the police address database?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Wouldnt they have access to someone on the police address database?

The police don't have an address database other than the electoral register. If you are talking about the Pulse system than no i don' think they have access to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭jargon buster

Electoral register was what I meant, just couldnt think of its title at last posting.
    Im pretty sure they would have access to that as its the only way they could let someone go who wasnt carrying ID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

sorry for highjacking the thread, if some one is done for this type of crime ie illegal social welfare ticket, does one have a blot on their copybook ?.

Ive been told they have a book, they check the name and address.. pretty much like a phonebook.

flutered wrote: »
    sorry for highjacking the thread, if some one is done for this type of crime ie illegal social welfare ticket, does one have a blot on their copybook ?.

I don't know its worrying me as I plan on emigrating to the states within the next few months !

When your uncle tells you about these letters, does he have a big smile on his face, or a sheepish and guilty look?

Sorry to dig this up.. But I'm due in court on Monday and to be honest I'm ****ting myself having read other peoples cases on boards. It seems your guilty to start with? Just saw the summons is dated mid-October 2011 but was only received Mid-April, has no phone number on it or anything. Seriously stressed out about this as I hear I'd have t pay extra to try view CCTV, I really cannot afford this, or taking time of work for this inconvenience or a fine..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

What happened when you rang up to state that it couldn't have been you?

What happened when you rang up to state that it couldn't have been you?

I rang the solicitor I was onto when this happened before. She got in touch with the complainant, put me in touch with him. Have to go in and meet the inspector that was on duty that day on Friday.

Advertisement