Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend internet?

Options
  • 17-04-2012 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭

hi just moved to drogheda on saturday and im looking to get internet in the house.
    a guy from eircom called yesterday by chance and iv signed up to a 10gb a month cap for 45 a month, never realized how silly it was at the time.
    i wanted it mainly for the ps3 and was told today ps3 would use way more then that a month.
    10gb at 45 a month is a bit of a ripp off to be honest as i get 5gb allowance on me fone and that doesn't be far off been used up.
    so wondering if anyone can shed some light on the situation at all.
    also wondering do sky provide internet in the drogheda area looking to get them in too so it would be cost effective to have the one bill for everything

thanks for replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

spider_pig wrote: »
    hi just moved to drogheda on saturday and im looking to get internet in the house.
    a guy from eircom called yesterday by chance and iv signed up to a 10gb a month cap for 45 a month, never realized how silly it was at the time.
    i wanted it mainly for the ps3 and was told today ps3 would use way more then that a month.
    10gb at 45 a month is a bit of a ripp off to be honest as i get 5gb allowance on me fone and that doesn't be far off been used up.
    so wondering if anyone can shed some light on the situation at all.
    also wondering do sky provide internet in the drogheda area looking to get them in too so it would be cost effective to have the one bill for everything

thanks for replies

You might have a cooling off period.

I was with UTV, service was very good. I then went to Vodafone, it was a few euros' cheaper. Big mistake, streaming TV is useless. Wish I had stayed with UTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

10 day cooling off period canceld it yesterday will look into the utv alright sky don't do Internet here do you remember the price and allowance by any chance

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

didnt realise UTV did internet in the south.

Must look into it. im on the same eircom tariff as above and its ridiculous.

All i ever do is browse the net but even if i do want to d/l something it is painfully slow.

The only good thing i can say is it works ALL the time. ive never had any problems with it.

the only reason ive never chenged is because im lazy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

Spider_Pig, there's a huge thread somewhere here that goes into a lot of details about internet access issues in Drogheda. Depending on the location, you have a number of choices - usually it's always between Eircom or Vodafone.

Sky don't do internet in Ireland. UTV has recently started selling door-to-door but a lot of us here are not convinced by their claims, so we are waiting for updates from those who have signed up with them. There are also DigiWeb, Imagine WiMax etc, your usual wireless providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Drogmal

Digiweb metro and wiimax are available in Drogheda with higher caps than Eircom.

Vodafone and digiweb also do next generation broadband for around €45 a month with higher caps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

positron wrote: »
    Spider_Pig, there's a huge thread somewhere here that goes into a lot of details about internet access issues in Drogheda. Depending on the location, you have a number of choices - usually it's always between Eircom or Vodafone.

Sky don't do internet in Ireland. UTV has recently started selling door-to-door but a lot of us here are not convinced by their claims, so we are waiting for updates from those who have signed up with them. There are also DigiWeb, Imagine WiMax etc, your usual wireless providers.

I have been with Digiweb and UTV and now Vodafone. I went to Vodafone as it was few euro cheaper. I was on the unlimited tariif with UTV. It was around €53 for 8mb d/l and my upload was increased after I complained. I would get around 1.1mb upload speed. I never had any service issues with UTV, was with them from June 2007 to Dec 2011, prior to that Digiweb wireless system as no ADSL in Grange Rath at that time.

I would go back to UTV at a heart beat if they still had the unlimited pacakage. I think the allowances are very low on their newer tariffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭robvondoom

I'm with Magnet myself. €55 per month for 24mb package. I average about 1.5MB download, upload is about 80-90kbps. I'm just North of the river though and I'm led to believe that it's not quite so cut and dry on the South side.

I've been with Irish Broadband (or Imagine, as they're called now) a good few years. I love it/them. I've the ariel on the roof (can't think of the name of it, but it's not that Wimax crap, or whatever they call it).

I've never really had any issues. Whenever it goes down it's usually up again a few hours later (I've been with them about 6 years I'd say, if not more, and it's only gone down on me about once a year for a couple of hours).

Unlimited downloading, etc. etc. yada yada. I could bang on for a while, but I do highly recommend them. Works out at about €50 per month, but I, personally, think it's great.

Advertisement