Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi Auto Licence question

Options
  • 17-04-2012 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi Folks
    Was handing in my licence form to my local FO and he told me to include a 'Good Reason' for getting the semi as one we have a new super who is very strick (fair enough) and two because i already have a .22, 12guage O/U and air rifle (air rifle is been sold).

The purpose of semi is for rough shooting as my o/u is a trap gun so can not be draggin that around all day and got a good deal on the semi.
    I will include in letter details of who the air rifle is been sold to (pending licence). That i have cabinet etc etc.

Am i missing anything.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

good reason would include use for pigeon shooting as the space in a hide is severely limited and for safety reasons a break action gun isnt ideal whereas a semi auto is a lot easier to handle. For vermin shooting where foxes require heavy magnum loads which might not be safe to shoot in your current licensed o/u but the semi is able to handle magnum loads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

For your own sake DO NOT get into balisitics (no offence to rabbit's good advice above) as it can backfire on you.

Your good reason is why you want the gun. So a simple line along the lines of;
    I am applying for "X brand" semiauto shotgun for the purpose of shooting vermin and game in accordance with the 1976 wildlife Act on the lands as outlined/named in my permissions.
    If you are a member of a gun club iclude the club name, and membership card photocopy instead of the permission letters.

Thats it. Too much detail and he can quiz you on magnums, cartridges or worse case scenario impose conditions on your license.

It's a straight forward applciation so don't sweat it. Do no mention, on paper, about the air rifle unless asked, but it really is not relevant to the application. It's only relevance is the security level you have, but with the O/U, rifle, the new shotgun, and selling of the air rifle you will still be in the same level as you have 3 unrestricted firearms.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭walsh.peter

Thanks for the reply guys. Your help is apprechiated
    Regards
    Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

im in the same boat, but looking for a o/u when i have the semi-auto, didn't say much but going to say due to semi's been frowned upon on clay grounds i want this o/u, but due to the extra weight of the o/u i couldn't trek across fields with it.

all true, but its crazy the hoops we have to jump through when were spending money in ireland and wanting to hand over an extra €80 every 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Your good reason is simple enough. Your o/u although the same caliber is a target shooting gun for clays and is unsuitable for carrying around all day after game and pests and a lot of clay grounds don't realy like semi's and pumps in the line so there you go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement