Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wilton's Cake Release?

Options
  • 17-04-2012 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭

has any bakers tried the Wilton cake Release instead of greasing or lining tins. its a quick fix greasing, that claims to effortlessly release the cake from its tin.

any reviews? x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I haven't used it myself, but it does seem to be pretty popular. To be honest though, I make my own bakers grease-equal quantities of flour, oil and butter mixed to a paste-and I've never had a cake stick. I make up a small batch every so often and keep it in the fridge, and I'm always guaranteed to have the ingredients to make more should I run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

shinikins wrote: »
    I haven't used it myself, but it does seem to be pretty popular. To be honest though, I make my own bakers grease-equal quantities of flour, oil and butter mixed to a paste-and I've never had a cake stick. I make up a small batch every so often and keep it in the fridge, and I'm always guaranteed to have the ingredients to make more should I run out.

Very interesting. Thanks for this. . I am a fan of rubbing butter and then sprinkling flour, but I must try it

Just to confirm do you mean

1 part flour
    1 part butter
    1 part oil

Do you end up with a thin paste that you have to brush on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

It's good for weird shaped tins, I have an easter rabbit tin and find it handy for that and I use it for some unusual silicone ones, grease and flour works just as well but the spray is a bit handier. Normal tins I always line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

huskerdu wrote: »
    Very interesting. Thanks for this. . I am a fan of rubbing butter and then sprinkling flour, but I must try it

Just to confirm do you mean

1 part flour
    1 part butter
    1 part oil

Do you end up with a thin paste that you have to brush on ?

Yeah, equal parts of each. You end up with a thickish paste, not unlike wallpaper paste. I tend to smear it on the tin with my fingers, the oil and butter content evaporates during baking, and the cake may be left with a slight covering of flour when you turn it out of the tin, but this can be brushed off when it cools. Like I said, I've never had a cake stick when I use it, and it stores very well in a jar in the fridge-up to 6 months by all accounts, but I never get past a couple of weeks without having to make a new batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I was going to get it but then saw the price plus on a lot of the cake tins care labels along side it in the shop say not to use it as in the long term it can affect the non stick coating in the tins and they recommend greasing the tin instead.

That and a good baking parchment, it's fiddley and takes a few mins longer but should work just as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

go on the shinikins, i just made up some of your stuff, and my chocolate fudge cake slid right out of the tin, no teasing needed. (in fairness I have just got a new tin, so maybe it's a good one. Thanks :)

Advertisement