Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Lodger

Options
  • 17-04-2012 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Okay I got a lodger in to help with my mortgage. shes only here just over 2 weeks and already annoying me. Maybe I am been petty but....
    curry stains on counter, rice in sink, she had bolognaise today and i walked into the kitchen to find bolognaise sauce spilled on the floor, dishes everywhere (even though theres a dishwasher),empty boxes on the counters. i asked her the other day to clean up after herself and she said 'yeah sorry no problem', but its fallen on deaf ears.
    the boyfriend comes over and makes himself at home, and got a key cut for himself at the weekend:eek: he arrived in the door today and i asked were he got the key and he said he got it cut so that if he ever calls over and shes not home at least he wont be left waiting outside for her. I didnt say anything as i was in shock at the cheekiness.
    Other than that shes grand, she keeps to herself and mainly stays in her room, and the money is handy. Is the money worth putting up with her untidiness and bf having spare key?
    I just feel that they've no respect for my place. or am i been petty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Its your house; get tough, lay down some ground rules and make her fully aware of them. If she doesnt like it or cant comply then ask her to leave.

And take the key off the boyfriend; that to me is extremely cheeky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

If it's like this already, it will only get worse. I know this from experience. Give an inch and she will take a mile. It will probably become a doss house for the bf to hang out in. Nip it in the bud early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Okay I got a lodger in to help with my mortgage. shes only here just over 2 weeks and already annoying me. Maybe I am been petty but....
    curry stains on counter, rice in sink, she had bolognaise today and i walked into the kitchen to find bolognaise sauce spilled on the floor, dishes everywhere (even though theres a dishwasher),empty boxes on the counters. i asked her the other day to clean up after herself and she said 'yeah sorry no problem', but its fallen on deaf ears.
    the boyfriend comes over and makes himself at home, and got a key cut for himself at the weekend:eek: he arrived in the door today and i asked were he got the key and he said he got it cut so that if he ever calls over and shes not home at least he wont be left waiting outside for her. I didnt say anything as i was in shock at the cheekiness.
    Other than that shes grand, she keeps to herself and mainly stays in her room, and the money is handy. Is the money worth putting up with her untidiness and bf having spare key?
    I just feel that they've no respect for my place. or am i been petty?

The boyfriend isn't paying any rent, so he certainly shouldn't have a key and shouldn't be there when she isn't. To me this would be enough to get rid of her but...

.....otherwise sort that out first, if she objects kick her out. Once that is resolved tell her to tidy up her own mess. Give her a week to change and, if it continues, kick her out.

I'd also suggest making up a reason to get her out (relative moving in etc.). Then once she's gone, change the lock.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ilovefridays

If it's like this already, it will only get worse. I know this from experience. Give an inch and she will take a mile. It will probably become a doss house for the bf to hang out in. Nip it in the bud early.
    yes im thinking that 'if shes like this now at the start, it will get worse. I dont know how to approach the situation without a row, as she comes across a bit of a cheeky mare.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Sounds like she's pretty untidy and disrespectful of your stuff, property and privacy. Maybe she's young and just away from her parents for the first time. I'd say it'd be a good idea to have a chat with her, tell her how much you dislike it and that it could affect her staying on as you may have to ask her to leave.

• Advertisement

yes im thinking that 'if shes like this now at the start, it will get worse. I dont know how to approach the situation without a row, as she comes across a bit of a cheeky mare.

Tell her you have a relative who's moving to stay with you so she needs to leave, sorry about that, just the way things are etc.

Then change any lock for which you've given her a key.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Sounds harsh but I'd be inclined to get rid of her. If from the get go she is leaving the kitchen in a mess I kinda doubt she would change and as for the key cutting thats ridiculous and just shows a lack of respect that its your house. I suppose it might depend on how easy you can find another tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Well if you dont mind some random bloke making copies of your house key then go ahead.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I suppose it might depend on how easy you can find another tenant.
    thats the problem, its so hard to get someone to rent a room nowadays with the recession, I have been advertising for a long time , before I got her. Im starting to think now maybe the money isnt worth the hassle.
    they are only petty little things really, but why should i clean up after someone else.

KTRIC wrote: »
    Well if you dont mind some random bloke making copies of your house key then go ahead.
    thats whats annoying me.....to think the bf who shes only with a few months has a key to my apartment on his keyring, heads off every night to his own house with my house key on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

tbh i wouldn't be worried about causing a row. I'd be worried about my house been cleaned out by someone who isn't actually paying rent, who you know has a key. I'd also be sorting it sooner rather than later. Good luck anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

KTRIC wrote: »
    :D Him being given a key is absolutely outrageous.

hmmm wrote: »
    :D Him being given a key is absolutely outrageous.
    he wasnt given a key, he had the cheek to go out and get one cut himself.
    I'm going to ask him for the key back before he leaves tonight, ill say its for security reasons. If they dont like it, they can both leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭sexymama

Agree with all posters.
    It is your house and you should tell her a few house rules.
    She had absolutely no right to give the BF a key to your house!Get it back off him quick! Be assertive,you pay the mortgage!

SM

Sorry just saw your last reply.
    The cheek of him to get it done himself!
    Tell him to take a running jump!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 saffeyyogi22

Hi,

I would say good bye, I have been renting out for a number of years and get on with my lodgers as I explain that they need to clean after themselves, The day they move in , I explain the rule within the household eg, the bf can stay over now and again , but he is not paying rent so he does not get a key and he not staying more than a night r two a week , With the cleaning I would leave it and show it to her when she get home , Bring her to the mess and explain that you are not her mammy and that she must clean up.

I would get rid as soon as poss, I hated renting rooms out at first , but needs must and now I am friends with most who have rented in my home. ( By the way I do not take Irish people for the reason you have stated ) I have 2 from USA, and 1 from Italy ,
    Best of luck with the renting

I'm going to ask him for the key back before he leaves tonight, ill say its for security reasons. If they dont like it, they can both leave.

Good plan, keep us posted.

As the old saying goes, a wise man (or woman) learns from the experience of others so take it from me - change the locks when they're gone.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

they are only petty little things really, but why should i clean up after someone else.

The issue with the key isnt petty; thats pretty serious as far as Id be concerned. Who does he think he is that he can just let himself into someone elses house whenever he feels like it, even if she isnt there?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭flowerific

If I were you I would ask her if she is free one eve, that you want to talk to her re: house rules. You should get a friend to be there with you as a witness and support. Also email her a copy of the house rules. That way you have a witness and things in writing if tuns turn bad. Tell her that the rent is for one person and that you want the BF to give up his key. Set house rules for having "guests over"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

She's in a new house and is already not tidying the place, and her BF has gone and got himself a key.

This isn't going to get any better. I'd cut my losses early - this isn't what we often see on this forum which is a landlord/lady with unrealistic expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭rock chic

She's in a new house and is already not tidying the place, and her BF has gone and got himself a key.

This isn't going to get any better. I'd cut my losses early - this isn't what we often see on this forum which is a landlord/lady with unrealistic expectations.

totally agree its not gonna get any better get rid of them asap as 1 poster said tell them a relative is moving in good luck and dont delay i wouldnt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Sent you a Private message, an example of House Rules.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

I wouldn't let this person put you off lodgers.

Maybe you just have to be wiser and know what to look for during the selection process.

I would def write up a set of house rules. Basic, common stuff...don't come across as too anal or a dry balls or you will put people off.

Use the word respect in it a few times and let them know the consequences from the get-go, i.e. they fcuk about they got a week to leave

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Change the door lock on the same day you kick her out. Give her three days notice, and for her to be gone by the weekend.

State that her making a key for someone not paying rent is a step too far.

flowerific wrote: »
    If I were you I would ask her if she is free one eve, that you want to talk to her re: house rules. You should get a friend to be there with you as a witness and support. Also email her a copy of the house rules. That way you have a witness and things in writing if tuns turn bad. Tell her that the rent is for one person and that you want the BF to give up his key. Set house rules for having "guests over"
    I foolishly didnt print up house rules, i kept saying i would but never got round to it, so everything was kinda verbal. Another Poster has pm'd me standard house rules, so ill be adding, editing stuff in that and printing it off for her tonight.

i know, you'd image that she would be making an impression in the first couple of weeks

By the way I do not take Irish people for the reason you have stated ) I have 2 from USA, and 1 from Italy ,
    Best of luck with the renting

ive had foreign students stay with me in the past, and have never had any issues with any of them, they have all been clean and tidy, but this is my 'first lodger', and Irish....LOL (so your comment made me laugh) , I thought when i got an irish girl, ah thats great we'll have alot in common but im eating my words now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

i know, you'd image that she would be making an impression in the first couple of weeks
    I think she has made an impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

And you can be sure he will gradually move in full time while helping out with her rent only all the time.

Some young couples will try this get one of them to move in then slowly bring the boyfriend in & overtime he will be getting up for work every morning in your house. All the time they will be splitting the rent for just the one room and there side of the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

I foolishly didnt print up house rules, i kept saying i would but never got round to it, so everything was kinda verbal. Another Poster has pm'd me standard house rules, so ill be adding, editing stuff in that and printing it off for her tonight.

I would nearly bet you she will be moving out pretty swiftly once you hand her over some printed rules!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

I'd get rid of her. It won't get any better.

Is your trouble finding someone due to location?

Even if not, don't expect to find someone straight away. Maybe drop the rent by a little and see if it opens up more prospective tenants? Better to have a slightly lower rent and someone you are very happy with, then higher rent for a few montsh and then none as you're so put off by the experience.

Advertisement