Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog keeps licking shaved paw, it's red and sore looking?

• 17-04-2012 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Last week my dog had to have blood taken and so a part of his paw was shaved. He was licking it a lot but I thought he was just missing the hair. Now it's red and bit yellow at the edge (could be his hair stubble though). Just a while ago he was pulling at the hair on the other side of his paw.
    Could it just be that it's itchy growing back? Ringing the vet tomorrow anyway so will ask then but just wondering if it's ok.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Do you mean the little wound where the needle went in is yellow around the edges? Yellow means infection! So yes, the vet needs to see the dog.
    In any case, you need to act quickly as licking at a wound constantly can set up a compulsive disorder where the dog keeps licking long after the wound has healed, and this can be difficult to treat because it becomes psychological, as opposed to physical. What's more, healing takes a lot longer if the dog won't leave the wound alone.
    Please don't allow your vet to just put a buster collar on the dog to prevent licking... Get pain meds and a topical cream to aid healing and take the itch away. Personally, I highly recommend Intrasite gel, which you'll get over the counter from the chemist. It's expensive but extremely good stuff to speed up healing and prevent infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

DBB wrote: »
    Do you mean the little wound where the needle went in is yellow around the edges? Yellow means infection! So yes, the vet needs to see the dog.
    In any case, you need to act quickly as licking at a wound constantly can set up a compulsive disorder where the dog keeps licking long after the wound has healed, and this can be difficult to treat because it becomes psychological, as opposed to physical. What's more, healing takes a lot longer if the dog won't leave the wound alone.
    Please don't allow your vet to just put a buster collar on the dog to prevent licking... Get pain meds and a topical cream to aid healing and take the itch away. Personally, I highly recommend Intrasite gel, which you'll get over the counter from the chemist. It's expensive but extremely good stuff to speed up healing and prevent infection.
    It's actually not yellow, must have been his hair maybe. There's a large very red patch where his hair was shaved. It looks like the hair isn't growing there but it is on the surrounding areas. He isn't constantly licking it but still licks a fair amount I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

It could be that hair rash due to the short hair you could try aloe vera on the area that could calm the skin. You could get a collar to try and stop the habit forming of licking the paw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Last week my dog had to have blood taken and so a part of his paw was shaved. He was licking it a lot....

I had the same problem recently. The buster collar for 5 days worked for me. There are some other suggestions in this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76976006

Advertisement