Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bethesdas Dishonoured

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Hers's the review

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

5uspect wrote: »
    People complained about Portal 2 after finishing it in a few hours. Of course to do that you have to ignore most of what makes the game special rushing from puzzle to puzzle.

Its a puzzle game? A very short puzzle game at that.

Some funny lines aint gonna change the fact its a puzzle game :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Looks like a must buy. Going to wait a until next year to pick it up (hopefully for half the price). Too many games to get though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Edge loved it. They have very high praise indeed for the world building and amount of freedom / choice afforded to the player. They only really criticise the abrupt ending. I like the sound of the Blink ability which sounds like a fine tool for creative mischief. http://www.edge-online.com/review/dishonored-review/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Certainly looking very much like a GOTY contender.

IGN
    /10

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/10/08/dishonored-review

Destructoid
    /10

http://www.destructoid.com/review-dishonored-236085.phtml

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

TB has a WTF on it. looks good. Ill try to stay away from if if i manage :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Only 9 missions? God I hope it doesn't feel as short as 9 missions sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Stev_o wrote: »
    Only 9 missions? God I hope it doesn't feel as short as 9 missions sound.

Supposedly under 10 hours in length, think I'm going to pass on it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Always left a bit disappointed when games, proudly strictly single player ones, are criticised for their length. Always think developers should be applauded for making focused games devoid of bloat. Give me nine (which to me actually sounds like a generous amount) well designed missions over eighteen repetitive ones. The ending here has indeed been noted as abrupt, but that sounds like its in terms of story rather than gameplay.

The game will inevitably drop in price before long if cost to gameplay is a major concern. But its length shouldn't be cause for instant dismissal. IMO it sounds like an admirable asset.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm 32, have a full-time job and plenty of social / personal commitments, I don't have the time to waste on bloated games anymore. If someone offers me a game of real quality that'll only consume about 10-15 hours, then I'll snap that up in a second over monsters like Skyrim which lie half 'finished'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Always left a bit disappointed when games, proudly strictly single player ones, are criticised for their length. Always think developers should be applauded for making focused games devoid of bloat. Give me nine (which to me actually sounds like a generous amount) well designed missions over eighteen repetitive ones. The ending here has indeed been noted as abrupt, but that sounds like its in terms of story rather than gameplay.

The game will inevitably drop in price before long if cost to gameplay is a major concern. But its length shouldn't be cause for instant dismissal. IMO it sounds like an admirable asset.

10 hours is incredibly short if your game lacks diversity in how it presents things to you. The thing I have taken out of the reviews so far is that the game is unsure weather it's truly stealth or action combat. There is a lack of non lethal methods (only 2 actions will give you a non lethal take down) and that despite what the dev's insisted your powers don't give 99 ways of approaching a situation.

I think a lot of people will be disappointed by it just by the way they play.

I am unsure of it. I love the setting and I love stealth games but at the same time after watching the TB video Stealth feels somewhat underwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Been reading the reviews, and this looks good. The 10 hour or so lenght is fine by me. Sure, aren't most games that long these days, and this looks like something that you could play through twice as well.

Personally, between 10 and 20 hours tends to be the sweet spot for actions games imho.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Meh heard all this too short moaning before when Deus Ex:HR came out and that turned out to be pretty well exactly as long as it needed to be IMO.

For Dishonoured the concensus appears to be in or around 12 to 15 hours with maybe 20ish hours if going for a full on steath playthrough.

If somebody wants to waste their first playthrough by running and gunning it in under 10 hours, skipping all side missions and ignoring what appears to be a very intriciate and well crafted world, it certainly isn't going to be affecting my purchasing decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I prefer open world games that I can sink my teeth into and play for a couple of weeks that I look forward to coming back to like dark souls, skyrim, fallout etc. Or multiplayer ones that will keep me going for a year or so like pro evo or bf3.

And I can't see why you think a shorter game length is an admirable asset. A great game that lasts 10 hours or a great game that lasts 20 hours? Easy choice I would imagine.

Anyways, I was not dismissing it instantly because of it's length, it's just one factor.
    marco_polo wrote: »
    Meh heard all this too short moaning before when Deus Ex:HR came out and that turned out to be pretty well exactly as long as it needed to be IMO.

Who's moaning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I prefer open world games that I can sink my teeth into and play for a couple of weeks that I look forward to coming back to like dark souls, skyrim, fallout etc. Or multiplayer ones that will keep me going for a year or so like pro evo or bf3.

And I can't see why you think a shorter game length is an admirable asset. A great game that lasts 10 hours or a great game that lasts 20 hours? Easy choice I would imagine.

Anyways, I was not dismissing it instantly because of it's length, it's just one factor.

Who's moaning?

I think he's saying that he'd much rather a shorter, tightly focused game rather than a game that might have 10 hours of excellent gameplay that is then padded out with endless fetch quests or the like to increase the length of the game. I'd definitely agree with him. If a game legitimately has enough content to take 20, 30 or 40 hours to complete, then that's great. If they only have enough for a 10 hour game, why not make a 10 hour game rather than add in stuff that gets boring or repetitive to play, making it a chore to play and resulting in an inferior game

My point is that story driven games which are not pure multiplayer or completely open world tend to have a point beyond which extending the gameplay results in nothing short of pure filler. It is not that being short is an admirable asset, but being the appropriate length to remain interesting sure is.

I have tonnes of hours clocked up playing Skyrim and Left4Dead but I don't feel short changed by, or consider less value for money the 7-8 highly enjoyable hours I spent playing Portal 2, or likewise the 10-15 hours on Dead Space or Batman to name but a few examples.
    Who's moaning?

Certainly not directed at you personally, I was simply making the point that the internet was ablaze with the same sort of fretting about game length when Deus EX:HR came out and it was proven to be largely unfounded in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

marco_polo wrote: »

Who's moaning?
    Think about it this way, cable TV tends to have shows that run for 12 episodes rather than networks that do 22. In general the shorter series have far less filler and tend to be superior as a result. The same applies to a degree in gaming while the likes of Skyrim is superb, after a certain point it becomes repetitive and mundane. Then you mightn't get back to playing it for months. I still haven't finished it but I well get back to it... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

grizzly wrote: »
    Looks like a must buy. Going to wait a until next year to pick it up

Lol ! :P

I'll get it in the STEAM sale, or for €20 if you're happy unlocking via the VPN

http://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/buy-dishonored-cd-key-digital-download-best-price/

A great game that lasts 10 hours or a great game that lasts 20 hours? Easy choice I would imagine.

I just enjoy great games, full stop. Let me take some of my favourite games as examples. Journey is barely two hours long. Half-Life (1 and 2) maybe 10-15? Super Metroid perhaps closer to twenty. Dark Souls is 40-50, while Persona 4 took me 70+ hours to finish. Huge discrepancies in length there, but to me they're all as memorable and successful as each other. The trouble with using 'length' as a signifier of quality or worth is even more evident when you use other mediums. Is Infinite Jest (a book whose major focus on contemporay society's commitment to endless entertainment and distraction is pertinent here) more worthy than The Old Man and the Sea just because the word count is at least twenty times greater? They're both examples of great literature. Same argument with The Red Balloon (35 mins) vs Love Exposure (237 mins) or Sátántangó (450 mins, which I'll get around to one of these days) - all worthy of our attention. In fact, I can't see many people choosing a six hour film over a 90 minute one, given the choice with both being priced equally.

A game, it should go without saying, should be as long as necessary. Given the consistently negative reaction to half-assed co-op or multiplayer, IMO Dishonoured's developers should be proud they've forgone the excesses of current gaming and pumped their resources into making what is apparently a consistent, tightly designed game. That's why I think complaints about the game's length are a tad unfounded at this early stage - especially since none of us have actually played the damn thing yet :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Has anyone come across any mention of eyefinity support for Dishonored? And if you get it could you give a look through the resolution options & confirm if 5760 x 1080 is supported? Mad to get this, but will hold off until there is a fix to get it going if its not supported out of the box, TY.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

hhmmm made by the same lads as Arx Fatalis

thats me sold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

so, it's really bloody good. managed to get my review up today despite all the thanksgiving turkey!

http://www.clickonline.com/games/review--dishonored/13908/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

kingtiger wrote: »
    hhmmm made by the same lads as Arx Fatalis

thats me sold

That was a pre-order bonus on Steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Great piece on RPS about the whole game length debate.....

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/08/dishonored-length/

Preload complete. Now for a mysterious quantum leap by my PC to US followed by three days of internet connectivity issues for Steam .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The game looks like it will be fun and I am looking forward to it. But I can see why it's a budget release on pc, the graphics look very dated. Probably on par with half life 2 which is an old title at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

tuxy wrote: »
    The game looks like it will be fun and I am looking forward to it. But I can see why it's a budget release on pc, the graphics look very dated. Probably on par with half life 2 which is an old title at this stage.
    Er, it's not a budget release? :confused:

tuxy wrote: »

Its a normal PC price game everywhere? Think your 26 euro from a few days ago must have been a pricing error from gamestop.ie cause it is showing up for 35 now, which is about as cheap as I have seen anywhere in the past few days.

Looks wise it is definately a bit dated alright, the characters especially could have done with a bit more TLC and some of the less important textures are fairly iffy but the major one are pretty crisp and as a whole the enviroments look quite good. I would put the graphics about on a par with the Bioshock games, all the moreso because like those games it somehow manages to look much better than the sum of it parts.

The controls are excellent like a very fluid Bioshock 2 (again) style dual welding, mixed in with a few nice (Crysis 2/Brink) like touches such as sliding and ledge jumping.

It doesn't look like gameplay length is going to be an issue for me anyway, it has taken me a good two and a half hours so far to not kill about 7 people on Hard. :pac:

Loving it so far, a real breath of fresh air when compared to anything I have played recently, I'd highly reccommend it to anybody still sitting on the fence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Gamestop.ie seem to have really low pre-order prices on PC that go back up just before or at release.

For example Hitman Absolution is €27.99 and that sure ain't a budget game.

Advertisement