Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bethesdas Dishonoured

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I got this at lunch time. Going home now to play. Cant fúckin wait!!:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Finally got BB setup in new place today and installed this.
    Loving it so far.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Popped back into gamestop today and it had been bumped up to €40 so said sod that. I grabbed it for €36.50 here - http://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/products/Dishonored-CD-Key-for-Steam.html - which I assume is legit (it's downloading now).

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shiny Cactus

I know its just after launching but can anyone tell me how long the story campaign is, I think I read before theres 9 missions but want to know length in time/hours.
    Thanks for the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I know its just after launching but can anyone tell me how long the story campaign is, I think I read before theres 9 missions but want to know length in time/hours.
    Thanks for the info

There are so many different ways of completing the missions I don't think anyone could give a accurate time. It will be very different for different people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

Thanks for the info

I'm on mission 6 with 17 hours played. I'm using stealth and not killing anyone though, I could have done it a lot faster if I had gone all out assault.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm only on the first mission but have already found 2/3 side quests to fulfill; clearly those claiming the game was short were simply shooting through the main quests - there's plenty here to keep a person busy & entertained.

Loving it so far; Thief meets Deus Ex meets HalfLife 2, all wrapped up in an art-style and world building that frankly makes it hard to understand how people wouldn't spend hours exploring the world; the speedrunners must have missed so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Lol, I'm still on the 1st mission with about 4 hours gone.:D I go all ocd with this type of game. At this stage it feels hugely like a stealthy Half Life but I aint feeling Deus Ex yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shiny Cactus

Lol, I'm still on the 1st mission with about 4 hours gone.:D I go all ocd with this type of game. At this stage it feels hugely like a stealthy Half Life but I aint feeling Deus Ex yet.

looks like this is a game for me so, but for stealth games thief is king

Went in to collect my preorder in GameStop, 5 euro paid down for it months back when it was set to cost 26.99. Handed in my receipt and put 22 euro on the counter. GameStop guy took my receipt, got my copy of the PC version and asked for 35 more as that was the price. Spent a good 10 minutes arguing with him as far as I was concerned they agreed to sell it to me for the price I put my deposit on. It clearly had the price marked on the receipt and no matter what I said he refused to honour the preorder price. Ended up demanding my 5 euro back which I only got after I told him I would stand outside all day telling people that HMV had titles such as Dishonorrd for 10 euro less than them. Ended up getting a steam CD key so at least I got a copy of the game. Just a shame thati couldn't have supported a local retailer and am now going to do my bet to make sure that no one I know use them either.

Far as the game is concerned, well I'm loving it and anyone who thinks there's just 4 hours of game there obviously didn't so much as install it. Can see myself returning to the quite often over the coming years and it's a shoein to feature on every best of the year list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭spr1nt3r

Darko wrote: »
    Went in to collect my preorder in GameStop, 5 euro paid down for it months back when it was set to cost 26.99. Handed in my receipt and put 22 euro on the counter. GameStop guy took my receipt, got my copy of the PC version and asked for 35 more as that was the price. Spent a good 10 minutes arguing with him as far as I was concerned they agreed to sell it to me for the price I put my deposit on. It clearly had the price marked on the receipt and no matter what I said he refused to honour the preorder price. Ended up demanding my 5 euro back which I only got after I told him I would stand outside all day telling people that HMV had titles such as Dishonorrd for 10 euro less than them. Ended up getting a steam CD key so at least I got a copy of the game. Just a shame thati couldn't have supported a local retailer and am now going to do my bet to make sure that no one I know use them either.

Far as the game is concerned, well I'm loving it and anyone who thinks there's just 4 hours of game there obviously didn't so much as install it. Can see myself returning to the quite often over the coming years and it's a shoein to feature on every best of the year list.

Sorry to hear. I pre ordered with them online and you are right, price was €27 and few cents. That's all they have charged me. With delivery to my door. Also the game was posted before release date so I got it right as should've - Friday with am post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Holy Sh1t this game is amazing, im only on the first assassination and not that far into it and iv already put 4 hours or so into it, patiently waiting to see where and what guards do and then deciding what to with them or how to get around them is such a rush and then there are so many ways of getting around them. this is turning out better than i thought.just my 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 27 wade_barrett

game is stunning it reminds me a lot of half life 2 and a bit of hitman thrown in , no worries about game lenght im about 3-4 hours in and done nothing yet ha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Strange, I think Deus Ex is the game most obvious ancestor. Admittedly I am just on the first mission at the Distillery District, but the echoes of Deus Ex are quite overt: the open & large area-hub, full of alleys, paths and areas you can explore or break-into (it reminds me most of the Hells Kitchen hub in DX); the random, unrelated side missions to perform; heck even the plot has strains of Dx - the mysterious plague being the most clearcut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Just on this, it is a shame about the price going up, but anytime I preorder in a shop they tell me the price is subject to change. Also a preorder is not an agreement on the price of a game, the game is only yours after a price is agreed on by both parties.

Your point on the game is spot on. Why anybody slated this game being too short must have never played games before or of they did they see it as a chore and not enjoyment. You could spend easily 2 hours on a mission. I usually spend that time getting to my target, never mind figuring out how to deal with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Completed my first run through yesterday trying to play stealthy and explore every thing. Probably took around the 20 hour mark. Started getting through the later levels quickly as had figured out how to not be seen and the best ways to use your powers. Fantastic game. Only complaint I have is about the fairly rushed ending. It just kind of came out of no where and was anti-climatic. Looking forward to a 2nd play through and go for a high chaos ending and see the difference.

Just on this, it is a shame about the price going up, but anytime I preorder in a shop they tell me the price is subject to change. Also a preorder is not an agreement on the price of a game, the game is only yours after a price is agreed on by both parties.

When I preordered I was told that the most the price would change would be by a fiver. Any other store I've preordered I'm I've paid the preorder price. In HMV if you preorder it at 25, you pay 25 even if it's on shelf at 35.

I'm aware of all the laws regarding transactions but on the part of GameStop it was just poor form. Had they honoured the preorder price or even raised it by 5 euro then I'd be far more likely to use them again. The massive jump in price and the guy being such a dock has put me off the entire franchise completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭klose

This is ridiculously good! Still getting the hang of it but its just a really cool game and different to what I normally play. Usually I'd just stick to the main story but I'm doing every misc objective too and tryna get all the bone charms and runes.

Will be sinking a lot of hours into this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Just after sinking an hour into this without even realising the time passing. Really enjoying it. Story is very ingaging, well worth a buy :) can't wait to put more time into it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

calex71 wrote: »
    Bricks and mortar prices for Xbox and PS3

Gamestop :54.99

HMV : 44.99

No prizes for guessing where I got my copy :pac:

Xtravision wasn't open so didn't check there but based on recent releases I'd say they are same as gamestop.

Fair play, I was actually going to get it in Smyths until I saw this.

Only played about 1.5 hours of it lastnight and I'm not really blown away so far, but I have barely made a dent in it in fairness; I'm at the section where you get your first power

Oh and I don't understand why people buy games in Gamestop tbh; they're robbing fecks in my experience and I never buy anything in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Shred wrote: »
    Fair play, I was actually going to get it in Smyths until I saw this.

Only played about 1.5 hours of it lastnight and I'm not really blown away so far, but I have barely made a dent in it in fairness; I'm at the section where you get your first power

Oh and I don't understand why people buy games in Gamestop tbh; they're robbing fecks in my experience and I never buy anything in there.

In the Pavilions shopping centre the HMV and GameStop are basically beside each other I can't ever remember a game even being the same price in the HMV, HMV is always cheaper.

I actually bought this in HMV Pavillions, can't say I agree with you though fella. Although I do generally buy in Smyths more often, HMV do good deals in regards to throwing in Blu Rays etc. Gamestop, in my experience, are generally the dearest. However, if Smyths continue down this route of charging 10 quid more than their competitors I'll be going elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Shred wrote: »
    I actually bought this in HMV Pavillions, can't say I agree with you though fella. Although I do generally buy in Smyths more often, HMV do good deals in regards to throwing in Blu Rays etc. Gamestop, in my experience, are generally the dearest. However, if Smyths continue down this route of charging 10 quid more than their competitors I'll be going elsewhere.

That's what I was saying, can see now my post isn't entirely clear.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

So I've only finished the first assassination, missed a bunch of stuff and screwed up my stealthy run at times... but wow!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Need some help if anyone knows a way out of this but it looks unlikely. I got a cloud out of sync message from steam and chose the restore from cloud option which was obviously the wrong choice since all my recent saves have been replaced with ones from ages ago. I actually right-clicked and copied the local quicksave file before doing this and when I realised it had fecked up I closed Dishonored and tried to paste the previous quicksave back but it just gave me a copy of the new smaller older quicksave. Fit to explode to be honest. This completely invalidates any use this cloud bollox has if it can't evaluate for itself which files are more recent.

danthefan wrote: »
    That's what I was saying, can see now my post isn't entirely clear.

Ah, now that you've edited it, it is! Soz, I obviously thought you were saying the opposite!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I havent figured out what the Ai can see and cant see so not very good at it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Been playing this a lot since yesterday. Brilliant game. I'm heading for a more darker ending than most I reckon. Slaughtering everything in sight :)
    For the Boyle party I thought it was a bit silly that I massacred EVERYONE in the house, and when I went outside the guards were completely oblivious and treated me like a normal guest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Still in the middle of the first main mission - and have already committed four hours - but it's terrific. Such a rich setting! A fully realised game world, from the opulence of the prologue to the squalor of the back alleys. Extremely satisfying just exploring the nooks and crannies. The levels already seem dense with detail and the potential for discovery.

Gameplay wise, well I'm just blinking my way to success :P Playing it on hard and it's proving tough but fair. Only small complaint I have so far is that the non-lethal takedown options seem limited - seemingly only the standard option and (maybe?) the 'hurricane' power or whatever its called. Still, helps ensure you get up to speed with the sneaking mechanics ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Bit limited in the non lethal takedowns alright, it is hard to resist the temptation to use the more fun looking high chaos options.

That said I can't think of too many other non lethal combat options that wouldn't make the stealth approach too easy. The lack of variety probably does help keep it challenging, and I think is more that made up for by the feeling of satisfaction created by leaving a large pile of unconscious bodies in the corner of a small, heavily populated area.

Advertisement