Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bethesdas Dishonoured

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

mewso wrote: »
    Need some help if anyone knows a way out of this but it looks unlikely. I got a cloud out of sync message from steam and chose the restore from cloud option which was obviously the wrong choice since all my recent saves have been replaced with ones from ages ago. I actually right-clicked and copied the local quicksave file before doing this and when I realised it had fecked up I closed Dishonored and tried to paste the previous quicksave back but it just gave me a copy of the new smaller older quicksave. Fit to explode to be honest. This completely invalidates any use this cloud bollox has if it can't evaluate for itself which files are more recent.

Try pasting the quick save while in offline mode.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

5uspect wrote: »
    Try pasting the quick save while in offline mode.

Thanks I ended up playing through the same stuff again. Not too bad but with a game like this where you explore a lot and need to explore the same places again it's annoying. But frustration over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Just finished it there. Took me about 17 hours.

Been a long time since a game hooked me as much :)
    ending was very abrupt though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

stealth a bit easy imo, blink is very imba

lots more perks, skills, weapons etc for the lethal approach though, which I thought a shame

great game though, will be enjoying my more bloody second run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Just finished it, got a high chaos rating despite it being my intended stealth play through! :P

Excellent game, got about 20 hours out if it.

• Advertisement

Really must start saving more often, I've died twice so far and both times I've lost about an hours of play time. The great thing is that retracing my steps hasn't bothered me at all and I've actually enjoyed it more as it allowed me to try different tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Got good at it yesterday :D

Im a murdering machine wee boards challenge
    At the Boyle Party Kill every single person in the mansion

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

• Start mission
    • Feel like James Bond
    • Sneak everywhere
    • Analyse situations
    • Carefully knock people out and hide their unconscious bodies.
    • Keep sneaking about
    • Person discovers you
    • You have no choice but to kill them
    • Another person spots you killing said person and raises alarm
    • Many people come
    • Many people die
    • Standing over a mountain of murdered people and saying to oneself: "Well...............fùck."
    • Carry on mission brutally slaughtering people.

Story of my life :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

GOTY for me so far. Put in ~10 hours over the weekend while I had a cold really helped pass the time. Trying my best for stealth but some kills are unavoidable :D incredibly immersive game. Does remind me of a better version of Dues Ex as pixelburp says - so far anyway 2 assassinations in. Always agonising over which powers to go for! Blink is a little unbalanced though but I like easy games :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Smashing little game, just finished a low chaos run through, might try it on very hard and try and ghost through it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Jesus, I'm awful at trying to get that Ghost achievement. Out of interest, if I **** it up, can I go back to a previous game save to continue on with the hunt for that achievement? Not getting made by anyone in the whole game seems incredibly difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I'm a little underwhelmed by it tbh. Maybe it was the hype of the reviews and the comparisons to Deus Ex or maybe I got incredibly bored stealthing the whole game. I played it the whole weekend and got half way through the 5th mission before I put the joypad down.

I'm going to try mixing a gung ho approach and try to lay some elaborate traps for whats remaining to spice it up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd definitely agree it's a notch above Human Revolution, although they're both good examples of thoughtful, well-designed games.

Have just completed the first mission, which was easily a good four or five hours worth of play alone. Definitely all about exploration - secrets scattered everywhere. Blink is the most wonderful gaming power since the Portal gun, I think it gives you a perfectly judged advantage (although it's certainly a challenging game on hard).

My favourite bit so far was grabbing a bone charm out of a rat infested workshop using only blink and conveniently placed chains. Even the small, localised situations are a lot of fun. I haven't killed anyone yet - fingers crossed there isn't a bit like the construction site trap in HR that makes such an approach extra-challenging!

So I just ghosted the third mission on hard with zero kills. Granted it's not a particularly difficult level, but it was so much fun. I even managed to
    do an epic dive from the top on the bridge into the water on my way to Sokolov's House.

I've put 9.5 hours into this and I'm loving taking my time. So many games insist on rushing you through them, this is especially refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Is anyone else playing with a mouse & keyboard on PC?

Is it just me who's getting this odd, slight mouse-lag effect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Yeah,happened to me abit through out the game.Feckin annoying when you're creepin around over some one and all of a sudden you just walk off a ledge on top of them. Saying that though, didn't happen too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

Try turning off mouse smoothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

This is incredibly annoying!

Vsync is also known to cause input lag in some games. I turned mouse smoothing from the start and I haven't had any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lemonperv

I'm loving this game so far. For me it's like Deus Ex HR but in a more interesting setting.

I was worried I'd find the stealth frustrating but I'm seriously digging it.

Yay for games!

• Advertisement

Loving this game so far, half way through it now despite me having put some serious time into it.

It's so refreshing to get the rare game that doesn't restrict you to 1 or 2 paths and let's you find any way you can to reach your goals. Snooping around the area also leaves a nice payoff.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Bit dissapointed in this. Doing a stealth run with no kills, although frustratingly the game tells me I have killed one or two people at the end of the level, when I can't see how I killed anyone.

Stealth is too easy and lacks variety, Just tranq darts, choke hold and Blink is all thats really need. Blink is imbalanced. Maybe its to do with how I use quick save a lot. Stealth a small section, quicksave, non lethal take down of a guard, quick save etc. I suppose if I did this less it would make it more challenging but I probably get annoyed by blink not catching a ledge or messing up a jump.

I'd reckon a non stealth through run would be more fun. Seems like there are more options in a lethal play through.
    The number of paths open and the freedom is good.

Story is abit of a slow burner, half way through and its not not really gripped me, nore is it told in a interesting way. Low key mostly which isn't bad compared to alot of other games Michael Bay apporach. Solid but nothing spectacular. I also feel the story doesn't react much to your decisions, no one mentions to you if you are a killing machine or a pacifist. Most of the diaogue assumes you killed everyone. Games like Deus Ex did more to feel you where having an effect on the story. It even feels badly scripted in some sections.
    The non lethal approach to taking down the Regent had you expose his plot to the people over the cities PA speakers, but he was arrested within 5 seconds of me putting the recording into the speaker and before any public annoucement was made.
    . Some of the non voilent methods of eliminating the enemy don't make much sense either.

Graphicially it isn't much from a technical perspective but the art direction is great and quite unique. Runs well and is stable. However I don't really get much of atmosphere or sense of dread/oppression in the game. Music doesn't stand out bar the great theme from the trailer. Voice acting is solid but nothing amazing here.

A.I is quite poor as well.
    Controls are fine.

Overall its still quite different from most other games and I still think its a decent game. Just not living up to the hype.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Too early to pass official judgement, but this game is not living up to the hype for me at all.

I playing this and completing the final stages of the Mass Effect 3 Insanity run and I'm honestly thinking of playing ME3 tonight :confused:

Will give it more time, but there isn't anything here I haven't seen before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Azza wrote: »
    Bit dissapointed in this. Doing a stealth run with no kills, although frustratingly the game tells me I have killed one or two people at the end of the level, when I can't see how I killed anyone.

That happened to me alot. Only thing I could figure out was wrong,was that maybe I kinda threw a few of them after I knocked them out, and maybe throwing them kills them. Very frustrating though as was convinced I didn't kill any one till the level in the flooded city, but the end of level stats told me otherwise.

Meatwad wrote: »
    That happened to me alot. Only thing I could figure out was wrong,was that maybe I kinda threw a few of them after I knocked them out, and maybe throwing them kills them. Very frustrating though as was convinced I didn't kill any one till the level in the flooded city, but the end of level stats told me otherwise.

I got that too and noticed that it's incredibly easy to kill knocked out people by running over them. I noticed that if I threw them against a wall or somewhere that has a small 2ft drop that they die. But, it seems to be random when this happens.

You can also kill cowering civilians by just bumping into them, like you're the Grim Reaper.

Something I imagine that will be fixed in an update.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

One thing I did like is throwing people down 3 flights of stairs. lol. \o/

After seeing the sheer randomness of the stealth system, and how easy it is to accidentally kill people, I'm going to leave steath by the wayside and murder everything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It is a bit unsettling when you carefully place an unconscious guard in a corner and suddenly the wall is covered in blood :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Crossbowing someones head clean off and it sticking in the wall is funny, until his mate comes in stands there looking at the head and just walks out muttering "i know your here"

Found out how to replay each mission, use your defaul save files there should be one for the beginning of each level and your own quicksaves if they actually work.

Boyle Party is now a murder party :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Azza wrote: »
    Bit dissapointed in this.

Didn't want to quote the whole post but I agree with most of it and thought I was pretty much alone on this. It's above average imo but the hype really put a dampener on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Meatwad wrote: »
    if you ko someone and the rats eat them then it counts as a kill

Advertisement