Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signed 3 month contract...Job gone...

• 17-04-2012 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Just thought i'd ask here. I'm working on a 6 month contract

(ends in two weeks). I was lucky enough to do a test and be offered a 6 month contract again(which i signed and posted off this morning) but working in another part of the company.

Turned up to day but the Supervisor said "i wasn't what he was looking for. They didn't have the time to train me up."

Wonder where do i stand now, am i out on my ear in two weeks, or is my employer honoured to maintain the contract and find another position within the company?

Any input would be great, bit worried now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Not very knowlegeable on the subject myself but I do know once you've been employed less than a year you've very little recourse. So even if you could get the contract enforced you could be in there a week and the same supervisor could say "sorry its not working out" and you would still be gone.

Have you tried appraoching the person that extended your contract in a very nicey nicey brown nosing kinda way?

Oh just for what its worth - your contract was accepted the moment you put it in the letter box under the postal rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭mecanoman

Thanks for the reply, i probably am fighting a losing battle.

Big day is on tuesday forthnight, fingers crossed. I'll let you know the out come then.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

Being careful not to breach the charter by giving advice, this is what you should be looking at.

Formation of a contract - offer and acceptance - they offered you a job, you signed the contract and posted it off. Once an acceptance is posted the contract is completed under the postal rule and at that stage it is too late to retract the offer. (Byrne v Van Tienhoven)
    The expection to this is if the contract expressly states that it is not accepted until it is received (Holwell Securities v Hughes)

An offer can only be revoked BEFORE it has been accepted not afterwards. (unless you knew it was going to be revoked before you accepted) ie you heard they had changed their minds but signed the contract and posted it anyway

If the other party to the contract states their intention not to honour their obligations under the contract that is a breach of contract.
    A contract can be breached before it is due to start - called an anticipatory breach and the injured party can sue for damages once they have been told the other party has no intention of fulfilling their side. (Hochster v De La Tour)

To bring a claim for unfair dismissal you generally need to have 12 months continuous service but that rule doesnt apply if you are bringing a claim under breach of contract.

Thats great, thanks for the helpful advice. I'm checking everything and

anything to do with contracts, bit of a minefield, so i'm glad of any imput.

Talking to other employees (i know its only rumours) but it appears

the mistake is on their end. Will keep you updated.

page1 wrote: »
    To bring a claim for unfair dismissal you generally need to have 12 months continuous service but that rule doesnt apply if you are bringing a claim under breach of contract.

I thought the EAT wouldn't look at anything under 12 months service?

Not to say he couldn't do to court with it - but the cost might be prohibative.

• Advertisement

Just a follow up on this, was brought into the Office for a chat.

I was told "unoffically" they shafted themselves. They had made a contract with me for another 6 months by mistake. So i'm still in a job.

(keeping the wolf from the door) Gives me breathing space to start looking for a new job. Thanks for all the advice folks. Onto the next adventure now :)

Congrats man!

Advertisement