Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC System & Automation

Options
  • 17-04-2012 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a HKC alarm system, with a HKC GSM-P sim card unit. I have 3no keypads in the installation.

I have some dedicated outside lights which I want to connect to the system.

I want to be able to do the following.

1. Turn the lights on and off via the lights button on the keypads.
    2. Have the lights come on in the event of an alarm situation.
    3. Turn the lights on and off via the GSM unit.

What would be the correct way to wire it up and what programming would be required in the panel and/or the GSm unit.

Thanks,

Ask any questions required

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

I am not too sure if it can be done like this. All 3 are possible individually but to have them all working in conjunction with each other might be a problem. I will ask one of the lads in HKC if it is possible tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭firemansam1

altor wrote: »
    I am not too sure if it can be done like this. All 3 are possible individually but to have them all working in conjunction with each other might be a problem. I will ask one of the lads in HKC if it is possible tomorrow.

Thanks, I'm sure it must be possible using multiple relays or something.

I understand that whatever method you use to turn on you must use to turn off, thats ok.

Thanks, I'm sure it must be possible using multiple relays or something.

I understand that whatever method you use to turn on you must use to turn off, thats ok.

Yes but what I am thinking is if there is feed back from turning on one relay to another what would that do. Best to ask them before trying this in case it does damage to either board.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It's sounds straightforward enough. There are 2 switchable outputs, yes?
    An alarm output will switch the lights once the alarm activates.
    Any feedback problems should be able to be sorted with diodes.

That is correct but it is always best to check with the manufacturer just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'd be very surprised if that's not possible. I have done this hundreds of times with other panels.

No harm is checking just to be on the safe side. Expensive enough to replace the GSM alone off this system.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

This sounds like a fairly straight forward option.
    I would have assumed the alarm panel has a number D.O. points (dry contacts). Must be some form of 'cause and effects' within alarm panel that can be configured.

I don't know anything about HKC panels, I am from BMS background. I know a fairly inexpensive controller would do what you are trying to achieve very easily.

Mylow wrote: »
    I know a fairly inexpensive controller would do what you are trying to achieve very easily.

I know a number of panels that would do this without any bother at all.
    I'd get laughed at for even asking.......

Hi,

I have a HKC alarm system, with a HKC GSM-P sim card unit. I have 3no keypads in the installation.

I have some dedicated outside lights which I want to connect to the system.

I want to be able to do the following.

1. Turn the lights on and off via the lights button on the keypads.
    2. Have the lights come on in the event of an alarm situation.
    3. Turn the lights on and off via the GSM unit.

What would be the correct way to wire it up and what programming would be required in the panel and/or the GSm unit.

Thanks,

Ask any questions required

Was on to HKC today and they say it will work. If you turn on the light be that by text, lights on button or the alarm activating then it will need to be turned by that method. Use the negative as a trigger off each output. No harm to stick in a diode to be on the safe side.

• Advertisement

Thanks altor,

So how exactly would you suggest wiring it all up, how many relays etc etc.

Thanks again

Thanks altor,

So how exactly would you suggest wiring it all up, how many relays etc etc.

Thanks again

One relay, 3 triggers. Positive off the control panel, negative from each output you intend to use.

Hi again,

when you change settings on the GSM unit and then it starts syncing with the panel, how long roughly should that process take before you can start communicating with the unit again by text

Thanks

Right...job done, not as easy as sounded.

Had to

set the light output from panel to -ve
    set the light output from the GSm unit to +ve
    set the panel output on panel(to turn the lights on upon alarm activation) to +ve

Also had to connect the trigger wire for alarm activation to arm/disarm output instead of alarm.

Used one relay with the 3 triggers connected to it.

All working perfectly now.

Now to connect gates and heat to it. Should be easy after all the above!!!!

Right...job done, not as easy as sounded.

Had to

set the light output from panel to -ve
    set the light output from the GSm unit to +ve
    set the panel output on panel(to turn the lights on upon alarm activation) to +ve

Also had to connect the trigger wire for alarm activation to arm/disarm output instead of alarm.

Used one relay with the 3 triggers connected to it.

All working perfectly now.

Now to connect gates and heat to it. Should be easy after all the above!!!!

Every days a learning day.
    You should be no problems after getting the above working :D

Advertisement