Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those who do history..

• 17-04-2012 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a sample of an essay that got 95%+?

I'm looking at the marking schemes of the essay and trying to see where I'm going wrong and how I can push my marks up (I'm continually getting results in the 80s).

I'd really like to see an example of an essay that scored almost 100/100 and see what I'm missing..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

I've got a few but none typed, sorry :o To get high marks you need to refer to the question at the start and end of each paragraph, you need to have completely relevant info and basically next to no waffle and your paragraphs should run in a logical order. Also instead of having 6 long paragraphs, you should instead have about 9 or 10 shorter ones! This will help compensate for paragraphs you score lowly on. This is what my teacher's advice is anyway and it get's me fairly high results :) Hope this helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TIMR007ROX

I also have a few, same pointers as above really, what I also tend to do is put more effort into the introduction and conclusion, referring to the question as much as possible. This will push up your marks and save time! Hope this helps!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SlyBacon93

Honestly man, the key to history is all the above and being able to write 6 pages per essay...that seems to work for me

TIMR007ROX wrote: »
    I also have a few, same pointers as above really, what I also tend to do is put more effort into the introduction and conclusion, referring to the question as much as possible. This will push up your marks and save time! Hope this helps!:pac:
    Dunno about your advice for the conclusion and introduction really.. I was a History Seminar in Trinity a few weeks ago and Dermot Lucey gave one of three talks. He spoke about composing essays and how to achieve high marks in them and stuff. He said though not to spend too much time on an intro and conclusion because you can tend to stray from the question, focusing too much on background information and results which may not have been referred to in the question at all! Plus, he said the max they're gonna give ya for an into/conclusion is like 6 or 7 mark? :eek: This was backed up by my teacher too so am sticking with this :)

I guess so man, but at the same time it's two paragraphs that you have to do, I'm just saying that if you put a little more time in to each it will give you more marks, and generally here (for me anyway) is where I particularly highlight that I understand the question - which would push up your mark out of 40 :) we seem to do similar subjects, haha

• Advertisement

TIMR007ROX wrote: »
    I guess so man, but at the same time it's two paragraphs that you have to do, I'm just saying that if you put a little more time in to each it will give you more marks, and generally here (for me anyway) is where I particularly highlight that I understand the question - which would push up your mark out of 40 :) we seem to do similar subjects, haha
    True but I wouldn't be overly worried about the intro and conclusion, the main body of your essay is where you're gonna get the majority of your marks! :) what other subjects do you do? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 26 J.new

What confuses me is the commentary, can ye give me an example of how to phrase commentary?

Business and Geography aswell as History and Music :)

J.new - I don't know what commentary is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I've written an essay taking on the Civil Rights Movement taking these points on board, would anyone mind if I PM'd it to them and they could give me some feedback?

Advertisement