Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Royal Naval Records

• 17-04-2012 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I have been searching in vain for a long time for my gf who I always believed was in the British Army in WWI. Now I have been informed that he was in the Navy. I have entered his name on the nationalarchives.co.uk documents online site and got only one result. However, the d.o.b. of that result is totally wrong and 10 years out and no place of birth stated. On the other hand my searches in the army have given a few results and a couple which would be nearer the mark date and place wise. It's going to cost me of course to get all the documents. Before I blunder forward - any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I have been searching in vain for a long time for my gf who I always believed was in the British Army in WWI. Now I have been informed that he was in the Navy. I have entered his name on the nationalarchives.co.uk documents online site and got only one result. However, the d.o.b. of that result is totally wrong and 10 years out and no place of birth stated. On the other hand my searches in the army have given a few results and a couple which would be nearer the mark date and place wise. It's going to cost me of course to get all the documents. Before I blunder forward - any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

For me your first two sentences are key. Why do you believe the former, and who told you the latter? I'm not looking specifics of course, just suggesting that from my own experience family 'tales' can be changed over time, and can't always be trusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

mod9maple wrote: »
    For me your first two sentences are key. Why do you believe the former, and who told you the latter? I'm not looking specifics of course, just suggesting that from my own experience family 'tales' can be changed over time, and can't always be trusted.

mod9maple, you have put it into perspective for me. The Army story was given to me by my mum over 40 years ago. The navy story has been given to me this week by a relative of my dad's who I have only met once. Now that I've thought about it, the 40 year old story is looking more likely.

Advertisement