Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomas Street Regeneration

Options
  • 17-04-2012 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭

Thomas Street Regeneration

It'd be nice if this comes to fruition.
    It being the Civic Trust, it could turn out well.

A PLAN to reverse the “blight, dereliction and vacancy” of one of Dublin’s most historic streets will today be published by the Dublin Civic Trust.

The Thomas Street: Improving the Public Face of an Historic City Centre Street plan aims to better the appearance of the street through the restoration of its historic buildings, the promotion of indigenous businesses and the development of visitor attractions.

Despite being the commercial heart of the Liberties, the street underwent a slow but continual decline in the 20th century, with dereliction and demolition creating gaps in the streetscape. Much historic architecture, including some early 18th-century merchant houses, remained but became hidden beneath modern facades, and often the fabric became substantially damaged.

The street particularly suffered during the boom years. While other historic parts of the city benefited from regeneration and restoration, Thomas Street fell prey to “site assembly”, where groups of buildings were bought up for large-scale development but remained disused and, as the economy collapsed, became increasingly dilapidated. This resulted in a reduction in footfall and a closure of surrounding businesses.

However, many fine landmark buildings remain, including the church of Saint Augustine and St John the Baptist, which has the highest steeple in the city, St James’s Graveyard, and St Catherine’s Church – the site of Robert Emmet’s execution – plus the Guinness brewery and storehouse.

The street has the benefit of a major educational institution in the National College of Art and Design and the potential for high-value job creation in the Digital Hub. It is not just one of the oldest thoroughfares in the city but in the whole country, as it follows the route of Slige Mór, one of the four ancient highways of Ireland, according to the report.

In architectural terms, it exceeds the status of modest market and retail streets such as Camden Street and Capel Street, the report says, with several grand set-piece buildings offset by more modest structures. However, while the imposing churches and industrial and large commercial premises such as the former Blanchardstown Mill (now a Lidl supermarket) give the street its imposing air, it is the well proportioned merchant houses and shops that give the street its quality.

The report puts forward restoration proposals for locations along the street, including some boarded-up shops where Georgian facades are concealing “Dutch Billy” houses, distinctive gable fronted buildings dating from the early 18th century and predating the traditional Georgian style.

In other areas, such as the semi-demolished buildings next to Vicar Street, it recommends contemporary infill in a sympathetic style, avoiding pastiche. The report also recommends the removal of unnecessary street clutter, particularly redundant poles and the widening of footpaths.

The trust said it recognised funds were limited. It recommends the establishment of a facade restoration fund of €100,000 as a joint venture between the National Lottery, Fáilte Ireland and the city council.

A small level of investment from businesses on the street could also realise a major benefit to the street and the businesses, it said.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

A Lidl that could moonlight as a mental hospital, the toilet paper and teabags market in front of the stained carpet shop, the hilltop pub, the crying drunks outside the SWO, the Chinese shop that looks like someone's attic fell through their ceiling, that graffiti that says I'mpossible, but with a 'tittle' on the capitalised I, any number of knocked or derelict buildings, the roma gypsy at the payphones...

Yeah the street linking Christchurch and the Guinness Storehouse could do with a lick of paint alright.

More about the report here

Can't see 100K making a dent in it tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

+1 100k would barely get the chewing gum off the path on that street.

It needs SERIOUS money and time. Guinness should clean up their act too. They own a load of properties there that are neglected. No shortage of cash for them

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Roguery

Agreed, 100k is derisory after the neglect of the past fifty years. However, I'll read the report to see what it says. Also, maybe something could be done with Aungier St. and Richmond St., among other streets which are falling into a terrible state of decay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

It's in a pretty poor state alright,which is quite embarrassing tbh,seeing as how many tourist's pass through the area on their way to the Guinness storehouse.Pity DCC didn't give the street a facelift back when they had the money to do so.€100k won't even begin to make things better unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

As a business owner on Thomas Street I can say with absolute certainty that 100K probably wouldnt keep the street swept for a month. There are serious issues with drug clinics, alcoholic drop in centres, drug dealers, general mental cases and abandoned buildings all up and down the road. They need to send in a squad of professional hitmen for a week to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

bombidol wrote: »
    As a business owner on Thomas Street I can say with absolute certainty that 100K probably wouldnt keep the street swept for a month. There are serious issues with drug clinics, alcoholic drop in centres, drug dealers, general mental cases and abandoned buildings all up and down the road. They need to send in a squad of professional hitmen for a week to be honest.

Lots of buildings down towards James hospital have been given to SVP and other charities for homeless and people with mental health issues. The same as down by benburb st. This seems to have 'ghettoised' these people and thats why the area is full of drunks and nutjobs.

I wonder is it better to centralize these things or spread them out.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I read the report and it's quite interesting and makes some good points. However, I do agree with the above... they need more funds for the work required.

I recall last year reading a very detailed document (similar to this report but much larger) on St. Luke's church (burnt down by a vandal in 1985), its history, ideas for regeneration, etc. Needless to say, nothing has been done, and the old building has been allowed to rot away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

No amount of funding will take away from the fact that Thomas St. is surrounded by low income housing including some of the most notorious flat complexes in Dublin. The only businesses that will ever make money around there is pubs, fast food and supermarkets.
    Because of this I would have serious doubts as to how effective "Regenerating" Thomas St. would even be?

• Advertisement

I remember reading another report last year, as well as the St. Luke's one, that advocated a "greening" of the Liberties, and had some good ideas on improving green areas and walk-ways in the Liberties. Of course nothing about who was going to do this and pay for it - any see this? I do think that Thomas St has tourist potential and if improved would attract visitors from other parts of Dublin as well, and surely small businesses could make use of the space.

Whatever happened the Digital Hub idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

No amount of funding will take away from the fact that Thomas St. is surrounded by low income housing including some of the most notorious flat complexes in Dublin. The only businesses that will ever make money around there is pubs, fast food and supermarkets.
    Because of this I would have serious doubts as to how effective "Regenerating" Thomas St. would even be?
    #

Sadly, this is true - but it also surrounded by a lot of old-school, 'salt of the earth' Dubliners and they give the place a unique charm - Something you see on Meath Street on a Saturday afternoon, which is the closest we have to a market street (even if the produce is mostly tat)

Thomas St is probably the most 'complete' historic street we have, due to the lack of development over the years, and as the report states, a lot of the buildings hide incredible secrets. Take a walk out to the smoking area in Kennedys pub for example (Medieval walls)

It will never be a fashionable high street, but what it can be is a vibrant tourist trail and a good local hub. There's been some decent attempts at restoration of old buildings recently, and with a bit more effort, it could work. That and a lot more money than is being suggested.

Of course, much of Thomas Streets problems are not of its own making. The ramming in of a major traffic junction (where two dual carrigeways meet) at the front of Christchurch seperates it from the city centre and creates a barrier. Not helping either is the 'pedsestrian unfriendly' sequence of the traffic lights there, where it can often require three stops before finally crossing.

If the original streetscape had have been maintained, we'd have had a seamless progression from the Temple Bar/Castle St area to Thomas St - as is, it feels like you're entering a seperate part of the city.

I think the report touchs on it, but the removal of the centre median on High St would be a start, along with widening the footpaths and the thus narrowing the traffic. Also, the dead-frontage of most of the buildings on High St should be looked at, and openings created for the provision of something more vibrant, such as coffee shops etc

Otherwise, I would focus the pedestrian route somehow to the north side of High St, crossing at the arch of Christchurch and continuing on past St Audeons, thereby creating more tourist footfall for the church, but also for the old city walls behind it. Plus, I would stop the impending demolition of Mother Recaps market and tavern, and restore it to its former use.

The Ivy Markets (mother red caps) needs to be re opened and restored ASAP, The closed shops need to be finished by the landlords and rented for cheap to boutique cafes, clothes shops and more. The statues by Vicar Street need to be extended from Meath street to Cornmarket. Theres a few small things that could be done to get more people up to the street. We (thomas house) are trying our best to start something up that end of the city, alongside the Mingle Market who are doing a stand up job.

bombidol wrote: »
    The Ivy Markets (mother red caps) needs to be re opened and restored ASAP, The closed shops need to be finished by the landlords and rented for cheap to boutique cafes, clothes shops and more. The statues by Vicar Street need to be extended from Meath street to Cornmarket. Theres a few small things that could be done to get more people up to the street. We (thomas house) are trying our best to start something up that end of the city, alongside the Mingle Market who are doing a stand up job.

Mother Redcaps and the Iveagh Markets are two seperate places, but I get what you're saying. The Mingle market is a welcome addition to the street, and the Thomas House (if it could restore itself to the glory days) would help too. Also, re-opening the club nights in Vicar St would be good too. There's loads of potential here.

I remember when (I think it was called) V2 opened, A bar/club beside Vicar St that was co-owned by the same guys, but much smaller. Maybe 250-400 people. They really could have started a scene there like Whelans, but for one reason or another it didn't happen.

It's a street that should get a ton done to it.

And...

I think Guinness should be solely responsible for it. I know they are now Diageo owned, but look at how much good the Guinness family did for Dublin and how much that area is passed through by tourists on their way to the factory. It would also be a fitting tribute to Edward Guiness

Well Guinness own a LOT of property down around the Luas track thats literally sitting there rotting. Theres a new shop opening beside Cafe Irie pretty soon, though no one knows what its going to be.
    The new Arthurs pub is slick looking though by accounts its not doing the business, but we'll see.
    The opening of the Tesco a few years ago helped the road attract a bit more foot traffic.
    And as a regular in the TH for a million years and now the lease holder I can assure you that Thomas House has exceeded its previous glory tenfold!
    The Tivoli needs to reopen its doors for gigs also.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

I live in mount brown and walk in and out of the city everyday. I love this area and the walk into town via James street, Thomas street and dame street. There are a lot of beautiful and historic buildings along the route. I would love to see something being done to regenerate Thomas street.

Advertisement