Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7up bottle exploded

Options
  • 17-04-2012 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭

I was lying down in my room with my best friend had 2ltr bottle of 7up on the bed and it just busted open. i correctly closed the cap etc before putting it there. Was there for over an hour and next thing it exploded and destroyed this laptop me and my phone. Have witnesses to verify this. What can i do to get my laptop repaired and them to foot the bill because it was obviously a defective product. The laptop survived but the display has watermarks in it. It just exploded like a bomb out of nowhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

You had already opened it, then closed it again? TBH, I don't think anyone's going to foot the bill for the laptop for you. Given that you had already opened it, you may have inadvertently damaged it at that point, and with two of you lying/sitting on the bed, small movements could have been shaking it around.

A quick google shows that 7up is managed by Britvic in Ireland (http://www.britvic.ie/our-brands/7up.asp). You can try contacting them, but I'd be surprised if you got anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

chris2008x wrote: »
    I was lying down in my room with my best friend had 2ltr bottle of 7up on the bed and it just busted open. i correctly closed the cap etc before putting it there. Was there for over an hour and next thing it exploded and destroyed this laptop me and my phone. Have witnesses to verify this. What can i do to get my laptop repaired and them to foot the bill because it was obviously a defective product. The laptop survived but the display has watermarks in it. It just exploded like a bomb out of nowhere.
    THe bottle should be stored in a cool dry place and lying on its side on a bed with two people moving it around after it has been opened is not the best place for it, was the bottle also lying in the sunlight?

You can contact the company and let them know the bottle "exploded" and they will most likely be interested in getting the bottle and cap from you to examine them but they would not be liable unless they can find some fault or flaw with the bottle or lid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

I will call them and say what happened tomorrow and she wasn't on my bed lol she was playing the ps3. I have this little area i always store my 7up at whilst using my laptop. I might take it to the small claims court if i have no luck. It shouldn't do that. I thought it was a burst pipe from the radiator by the loud pop it made. I don't want big compensation just this display fixed.

it wasn't near heat this room is always damp and stuff anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

There was a quality control issue a couple of years ago with 7 up and their 2ltr bottles, AFAIK the bottles would explode for no reason, turned out to be the seal in the bottom was faulty. I worked in a wholesalers and can remember the fiasco well. At the time 7up were swapping damaged bottles for new ones . Maybe the fault is recurring ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I might take it to the small claims court if i have no luck.

small claims court can only refund you the cost of the bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

And you would have to take the claim against the retailer who sold you the 7up, not the manufacturer.

First steps first, contact Britvic and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Owryan wrote: »
    There was a quality control issue a couple of years ago with 7 up and their 2ltr bottles, AFAIK the bottles would explode for no reason, turned out to be the seal in the bottom was faulty. I worked in a wholesalers and can remember the fiasco well. At the time 7up were swapping damaged bottles for new ones . Maybe the fault is recurring ??

That's unlikely to happen to a bottle that's already been depressurised by opening.

Thoie wrote: »
    That's unlikely to happen to a bottle that's already been depressurised by opening.

I saw it happen to bottles that were empty. And i can still remember the joy of cleaning up the mess from sev. hundred ruptured bottles too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭miggins

Thoie wrote: »

I saw it happen to bottles that were empty. And i can still remember the joy of cleaning up the mess from sev. hundred ruptured bottles too. :D

How could an empty bottle explode? If there's nothing inside to hold/release co2

• Registered Users Posts: 34,013 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ROFL, self exploding empty bottle....

• Advertisement

Update watermarks seem to be fading so hopefully no damage done but the obviously need to redesign the bottle. I called Brtvic the staff were lovely and asked was there any damage done i told them it did flood the laptop but that its ok. So they are sending me an prepaid envelope and stuff to post the bottle to them for testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Update watermarks seem to be fading so hopefully no damage done but the obviously need to redesign the bottle. I called Brtvic the staff were lovely and asked was there any damage done i told them it did flood the laptop but that its ok. So they are sending me an prepaid envelope and stuff to post the bottle to them for testing.

Redesign the bottle - because of one incident (which hasn't been investigated as of yet) despite millions of bottles performing within limits?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Update watermarks seem to be fading so hopefully no damage done but the obviously need to redesign the bottle.

Yes, clearly R&D need to get straight on that when one bottle "apparently" explodes on one person. Your kidding me right?
    :rolleyes:

Other then a few goodwill vouchers I honestly can't see Britiv doing much for you, feel free to go to small claims but tbh it'll likely cost you more to lodge the claim then you'll get back

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

miggins wrote: »
    How could an empty bottle explode? If there's nothing inside to hold/release co2

To be fair if you put an empty bottle into.the fire with the cap closed it does explode albeit its nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

asked was there any damage done i told them it did flood the laptop but that its ok.
    If you were to claim off them at a later date that your laptop was damaged by the 7up, they'll probably replay that call where you said that it was "ok"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Already opened, so any fault that had occured at a manufacturing process would already have happened.

"Witness" - nope, someone you know is not regarded as a witness.

"obviously a defective product" - not from where anyone else can see.

I might take it to the small claims court if i have no luck.
    LOL - possibly the guys in the SCC need a laugh - that's going to be the only outcome there!

Here's what really happened.

2l Bottle 7up - you open it - take a few swigs from the bottle, you close the bottle and throw it to end of bed. Sun shining through window, liquid expands + the released CO2 is already bursting to get out. It reaches the point it can hold it no longer - boom. (you should have listened in chemistry class)

Tough - you did not take any care. Maybe you want Britvic to spoon feed it to you next time you buy a bottle?

As you gradually move into adulthood, you'll learn something called personal responsibility. The courts are using this a lot more against eejits who take ridiculous actions against companys. Basically, you have to use a bit of common sense.

The sun never shines through my window because a very big shed out back stops it. Wasn't even sunny. It was raining at the time. No heat as this room is like a freezer 24/7. Obviously it was the bottle/cap that failed and if that is proven they will have to withdraw this batch of bottles. It was 1.3 metres away from my desk near my bed so unless we live in a world of bubble wrap and safety railings it was not irresponsible leaving the bottle where i did. The conditions didn't cause it either.

The sun never shines through my window because a very big shed out back stops it. Wasn't even sunny. It was raining at the time. No heat as this room is like a freezer 24/7. Obviously it was the bottle/cap that failed and if that is proven they will have to withdraw this batch of bottles. It was 1.3 metres away from my desk near my bed so unless we live in a world of bubble wrap and safety railings it was not irresponsible leaving the bottle where i did. The conditions didn't cause it either.

You're failing to see the point.

The product was bottled, transported to shop, bought by you, transported to you house, OPENED and no problems whatsoever. Therefore there is no manufacturing fault at play whatsoever.

The problem occured only AFTER you opened it, used some of it and put the bottle down.

Sorry - move on with life, don't be wasting your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

sandin wrote: »
    "Witness" - nope, someone you know is not regarded as a witness....
    Not true.

Not true.
    OK, not regarded as an independent witness. Much much less weight is put on an attached person's testimony than an independent witness who have no connection.

• Advertisement

Talking to the NCA just in case something happens with the laptop after it. Its going fine atm though and hopefully nothing more will go wrong. They suggested the fsai get on to me and stuff about it no idea why maybe a health and safety thing. Anyway i want to get to the end of the issue not just to see what caused it but in case it happens to someone else. Imagine having the bottle on the front passenger side car seat and this happened would certainly cause an accident. And they said, listen up IF THE BOTTLE PROVES TO BE FAULTY THEN I WOULD PROBABLY HAVE A CASE FOR ANY DAMAGE/LOSS i also can get a refund off Tesco for the bottle. I won't be bothering with this for the time been as it seems to have just watermarked the screen nothing serious. Just needed to know if any serious damage was done what rights i would have.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Obviously it was the bottle/cap that failed and if that is proven they will have to withdraw this batch of bottles.

Look at the label on such bottles and you'll note it states open away from your face as its a pressured container, a much more likely scenario for your situation is you failed to properly secure the cap.

Additionally a non-moving pressurized container like a cola bottle or in this case 7up doesn't just increase in pressure for no reason, there has to be external forces such as movement and/or heat.

Your posts from the very start assume that the bottle is in some way faulty and that you are not liable, not everything in life is somebody elses fault though. This is worth remembering

Imagine having the bottle on the front passenger side car seat and this happened would certainly cause an accident. .

why oh why oh why do people always bring a "what if" scenario into things.

christ, what if it exploded in a car, the car crashed into a bus, which if it was near school time, could have been full of children (always include children in "what ifs"), the bus swerved and crashed into a restaurant which if it was evening time, would have been full and considering the troika was here for the past couple of days, the president of the IMF could have been in the restaurant and been killed and then the economy would be in the ****s - all because of a bottle of 7up that was mistreated.

Did you tell the NCA that the bottle was in 100% perfect condidtion when you first opened it and it was only AFTER you had used it and re-closed it that the incident occured.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Cabaal wrote: »
    ... Additionally a non-moving pressurized container like a cola bottle or in this case 7up doesn't just increase in pressure for no reason, there has to be external forces such as movement and/or heat.
    You can't ignore the laws of physics (but I would point out that the forces in some cases might be internal, such as fermentation happening within the container).

The fact that the bottle had been opened and closed again suggests that pressure was possibly slightly reduced.
    Your posts from the very start assume that the bottle is in some way faulty
    That is possible. The bottle might not have been suitable to withstand the amount of pressure that might reasonably occur. It's reasonable to move a bottle for transport, for example. It's not reasonable to shake it vigorously.
    and that you are not liable, not everything in life is somebody elses fault though. This is worth remembering
    Once the bottle has been opened, there is no serious chance of fixing the responsibility for its exploding on the person who sold it to you, or to somebody up the line from there.

miggins wrote: »

From memory it had nothing to do with o2 or the contents. it was the plastic (for want of a better description) weld in the bottom. The weld was too weak and would fail, full bottle or not.

If the lid wasn't sealed correctly (which it was as why would i put it on the bed if i hadn't made sure) the gas would have escaped. We were not seated on the bed in a fashion that the bottle would got shook it was on the duvet flat nice and level memory foam mattress. Remember i have put over 300 bottles in the past year in that position same conditions etc never happened before.

Remember i have put over 300 bottles in the past year in that position same conditions etc never happened before.

300 x 2l bottles of 7up in one year - mmm i think the head has gine fizzy.

but thanks for the laugh this morning, but in reality, its time to just forget about it and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

We were not seated on the bed in a fashion that the bottle would got shook it was on the duvet flat nice and level memory foam mattress. Remember i have put over 300 bottles in the past year in that position same conditions etc never happened before.

How were the two of ye seated? Did you both sit motionless on the bed? Any movement would cause a chain reaction throughout the whole bed. You must have contributed to the build up of pressure somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Remember i have put over 300 bottles in the past year in that position same conditions etc never happened before.

300?? 2ltrs?? :eek: I'd book a visit to the Dentist asap and also a visit to your GP to test for diabetes. Seriously - thats a shocking amount of crap to be putting in to your system. You would want to check out any underlying causes and potential damage. Not being smart...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Are you sure that this was the reason? There is no seal. Plastic PET bottles are one piece and "blow moulded" so no seams or parts (other than the lid) and they have always been made this way. Possible that there may have been a fault with the manufacturing process (one part of the bottle was thinner or some other production process was damaging the bottles).

Advertisement