Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have one level 8, want to change!

Options
  • 17-04-2012 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hey,

I will finish with a third class honours in Journalism and Visual media this year. (from Griffith College). The problem is I hated the course from start to finish and I would HATE a job in media.

Can I use this degree to fill in a cao application? or how can i got about doing marketing in DCU now?

Thanks a mil for your replies. Im panicking.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

ger10 wrote: »
    Hey,

I will finish with a third class honours in Journalism and Visual media this year. (from Griffith College). The problem is I hated the course from start to finish and I would HATE a job in media.

Can I use this degree to fill in a cao application? or how can i got about doing marketing in DCU now?

I'm pretty sure the CAO goes by Leaving Cert points and not by degrees you have completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

flyswatter wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the CAO goes by Leaving Cert points and not by degrees you have completed.

Damn! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

ger10 wrote: »
    Hey,

Why don't you just do an MA in Marketing in DCU or DBS? You don't use CAO for that you use the PAO (Postgrad application office, I think that's what it's called anyway!). Those apps don't close until the summer. In your CV, drop the journalism bit, and just say you have a BA Visual Media. Wouldn't mention the third class honours bit either unless asked. Media and Marketing would be closely related anyway, so an MA would be a big advantage and you would be able to transition into Marketing/Advertising/PR that way.

Even without the MA, you could still apply for marketing internships through Job Bridge. You would be behind Commerce and straight Marketing grads admittedly, but they'd still consider you. If you did a 9 month internship, you'd be well ahead of anyone with a Marketing degree. Employers generally want industry experience, they don't really care what your degree is unless it's a technical skill they need. Also, I don't know what exactly your degree entailed, but if it had Photoshop/HTML/Video Editing/Copywriting you'd be at a big advantage in smaller/start up companies who need someone with those skills. If not, learn them anyway over the summer, can't hurt. I'd also start reading up on Social Media Marketing aswell. Any employer/college interviewer will ask you at least what you know about this field, it's going to be the dominant area within the industry with 10 years.

Just my 2 cents ;)

Advertisement