Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IEMs ~€100

• 17-04-2012 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭

The stock creative IEMs that came with my Zen XFi-2 are on the way out.

Looking to add a respectable pair of IEMs. I've had a look at Etymotics HF5's and they look good and rated well on the head-fi IEM mega-review thread.

Seem to be £99 + postage in most reputable places.

Anywhere legit I could get them cheaper (£79 on amazon.co.uk but with a 1-2 month wait, which doesn't suit) or any other suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

soundmagic e30 are very decent for the price. have a pair myself.

sample review

http://www.head-fi.org/t/568893/review-soundmagic-e30

zococity.es for quick (~ 5 days) delivery

focalprice.com if you can wait 3 to 4 weeks, for very cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

If you're not averse to Pixmania they have the HF5 for £83
    http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/3603841/art/etymotic/hf5-gen-high-fidelity-in.html?srcid=369

I can't really think of something that'll trump the hf5 in your price range, the shure 215 has a similar accessory kit but won't have near the isolation of the etymotic. I've a lower model shure that I listen to in bed and it's fairly bomb proof. The etymotic does go deep in your ears so it might be a shock to the system at first but it's worth it. If you plan on using them whilst you sleep I'd go with the shure if not the etymotic. The head direct re0 isn't nearly as isolating as the others and has poor accessories but should have the edge in treble clarity. It probably doesn't have the same range as the others however and is more of a niche IEM. You'd have to increase your budget a bit to include the vsoncic gr07 or fischer audio dba-02/brainwavz b2 and they'd need accessorys packs and tips to trump the stock HF5. I'd say go with the HF5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I've been burned by Pixmania before sadly.

Thanks for the glowing review.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I'd go with the £99 plus postage if I were you, still fantastic value at that price.

Since I've had my pair I've had the chance to try a good selection of other iem's costing double and triple the price and imo the HF5's are better.
    Just be wary though, they present the sound exactly the way I like it but a few people I know tried them and didn't like them at all.

54kroc wrote: »
    I'd go with the £99 plus postage if I were you, still fantastic value at that price.

Since I've had my pair I've had the chance to try a good selection of other iem's costing double and triple the price and imo the HF5's are better.
    Just be wary though, they present the sound exactly the way I like it but a few people I know tried them and didn't like them at all.

I think I quite like the Audio Technica "sound". I have AD700s and M50s right now. Would it be much different to that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

They're like the AD700s in that you hear the bass rather than feel it, but there wouldn't be as wide of a sound stage. Probably better clarity and separation though.

I don't know why the HF5s are so expensive... take a look at some reviews for Etymotic's MC5s instead, or the Head-Direct RE0s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Shure SE215s are very good IEMs and within the budget :)

I've just discovered ACS do custom in-ears sleeves for the Hf5 for €120.

Audiophilia, i really really utterly hate you.

Not worth it in my opinion. I got my ER-4Ps fully reshelled as customs and it didn't improve isolation or sound quality at all. If you already have the HF5 and are comfortable with the fit, save your money. If you don't ... buy something better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I bought the ACS customs for my HF2's, had them made up out in ACS Ireland.

I used to get a really really good fit with the clear grey tips anyway, and the SQ and isolation are about the same with the customs, but they are much much more comfortable.
    I'd find with the normal tips my ears would get a bit tender after a few hours, but not with the custom tips.
    Its also nice to have something made unique and specifically made for you, its not too often now a days you get something suited to you with out paying a huge cost.

• Advertisement

Yeah, comfort is generally improved but €120 is a bit steep considering the IEMs themselves cost less than that.

Would the custom sleeves be flexible enough to fit on many other IEMs should i decide to upgrade from the Hf5s at some point later?

It's certainly going to be the plan to get the IEMs first and the custom sleeves at some point after so I'll get to decide if they're worth the investment.

This is the compatibility list http://www.hearingprotection.co.uk/images/ACS-Custom-Earphones.pdf , but i'm not sure if they just support making them for all of those or they work on them all after they're made.

I bought them to try out and see how customs felt, I plan to get some 1964's at some stage but wanted to see was the comfort worth it.
    No point spending $500 on a pair of IEMs if you're not going to enjoy wearing them.

Why the 1964s in particular? Not interested in JH5s, UE-4s, etc?

I was thinking the 1964Q's for the extra bass and great recommendations, and they looks nice too which is a plus.
    Haven't done too much research into them yet, have some Schiit products to buy for my Ultrasone 900s before they come along :)

Advertisement