Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'd Like To say A BIG Thankyou Your Majesty

• 17-04-2012 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭

Well every bit helps :D

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/488m-tranche-of-uk-loan-given-to-ireland-547860.html

17/04/2012 - 16:06:33
    The latest multimillion-pound instalment of a UK loan to Ireland has been given to Dublin, the British Treasury said today.

UK Financial Secretary Mark Hoban confirmed more than £403m (€488m) had been sent across to Ireland as part of the £3.3bn (€4bn) bailout loan deal agreed in 2010.

He said: “The (British) Government believes it is in our national interest that the Irish economy is successful and its banking system is stable.”

Mr Hoban added that London “continues to support Ireland’s efforts to improve its economic situation”.

The release of the new money, which has a maturity date of September 30, 2019, follows Ireland’s successful completion last month of the fifth quarterly review of its programme of financial assistance from the European Union and International Monetary Fund.

The Treasury gave the cash – the third instalment – on March 28, but ministers updated Parliament today through a written statement.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/488m-tranche-of-uk-loan-given-to-ireland-547860.html#ixzz1sKh8d7sI

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Suppose it's cheaper than getting it from the likes of Wonga....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,726 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Half a million will last about a week at most at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Aaaand, it's gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Thankyou Britain, I know, you reared us till we could manage our own independence, then you let go out into the big wide world, it was a difficult parting as these things are, but now we are running back to you daddy to help pay our gambling debts.

Thank you we have learned our lesson we promise it wont happen again, don't tell ma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Do we have to pay them back in Diddlyies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭cml387

I somehow see the words "800 years" marching towards this thread with grim inevitability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Screw the last 800 years I wonder if Lizzy would lend me a few bob for me water meter?

cml387 wrote: »
    I somehow see the words "800 years" marching towards this thread with grim inevitability.

800 Years to pay it back perhaps?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

She liked Cork give her that in return

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Fair play to them . It will keep the T D 's is expenses for a week or so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

She liked Cork give her that in return

We're trying to be nice to the UK ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It would be interesting to accept it as payment for our oak ;)

It'll help with the setting up of the ( totally unnecessary )proposed water authority...

Part of the clause includes every Stag & Hen that arrives in Dublin Airport is to be given a free Leprechaun outfit from Carrolls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Half a million will last about a week at most at the moment.
    Half a billion, isn't it? I might be wrong as I haven't got me specs with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

lets default, we can give them county louth, its only worth bout a quater of a billion anyways :p

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Lets not pay it back and call it reparations for the 800 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

A shot of adrenaline to keep the patient alive. Dead people don't consume and pay mortgages.

Fuck that 'loan' - fuck it in the eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

It's nice to see that the mainland hasn't forgotten about her former colony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Well, now we can keep the Irish economy going through paying back some more of the billions of euro in losses of the British financial institutions who gambled on the "Celtic Tiger".

Only in Ireland could people have such a low sense of national self-esteem (not to mention political knowledge) that they are grateful for a loan from the British state to pay back British institutional gamblers in Ireland. Yes, gamblers.

So much for the Irish trying to get away from the "thick Paddy" stereotype when some Irish think a rational state like the British one is giving money to the Irish state out of something other than sheer self-interest. Incredibly stupid, irrational thinking.

• Advertisement

We'll have that paid off in no time with the amount of Premiership Jerseys sold every season.

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    Well, now we can keep the Irish economy going through paying back some more of the billions of euro in losses of the British financial institutions who gambled on the "Celtic Tiger".

Only in Ireland could people have such a low sense of national self-esteem (not to mention political knowledge) that they are grateful for a loan from the British state to pay back British institutional gamblers in Ireland. Yes, gamblers.

So much for the Irish trying to get away from the "thick Paddy" stereotype when some Irish think a rational state like the British one is giving money to the Irish state out of something other than sheer self-interest. Incredibly stupid, irrational thinking.

Yeah that Sean FitzPatrick fella should realy change his name to a more British sounding one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

It all smelt suspiciously like covert re-capitalisation.

Recently nationalised British Banks remain heavily invested in the Irish financial sector.

Either way, the Irish people won't see a penny. They will, however, foot the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Incredibly stupid, irrational thinking.

like a fox :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I understand that container ships full of ink cartridges are heading towards Dublin Port as we speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

44leto wrote: »
    Thankyou Britain, I know, you reared us till we could manage our own independence, then you let go out into the big wide world, it was a difficult parting as these things are, but now we are running back to you daddy to help pay our gambling debts.

Thank you we have learned our lesson we promise it wont happen again, don't tell ma.

I dont recall the british rearing us until we were worthy of independence, I do recall so many irish men and women fighting and dying for our independence though

I also dont see why anyone should feel the need to thank britain for this loan, isnt it after all a loan with a nice amount of interest included? Its a win for the british government, our economy hopefully stabilises and they get a nice return on it, its business in the end and not something we should be thanking them for.

If we had a government with balls who looked after the interests of our nation and people in the first place and at the moment, we wouldnt be in half the mess we are, and im not running back to any former brutal regime for money, im luckily debt free so are others in the country, not our debt!

I dont recall the british rearing us until we were worthy of independence, I do recall so many irish men and women fighting and dying for our independence though

I also dont see why anyone should feel the need to thank britain for this loan, isnt it after all a loan with a nice amount of interest included? Its a win for the british government, our economy hopefully stabilises and they get a nice return on it, its business in the end and not something we should be thanking them for.

If we had a government with balls who looked after the interests of our nation and people in the first place and at the moment, we wouldnt be in half the mess we are, and im not running back to any former brutal regime for money, im luckily debt free so are others in the country, not our debt!

You're Irish, it's an Irish debt, be thankful that mummy is lending us the money to try and get us over the slump :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Spook_ie wrote: »

You're Irish, it's an Irish debt, be thankful that mummy is lending us the money to try and get us over the slump :)

Lol if you say so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Lets not pay it back and call it reparations for the 800 years.

Sending them Brendan O'Carroll more than makes up for the 800 years

• Advertisement

You're Irish, it's an Anglo-Irish debt, be thankful that mummy is lending us the money to try and get us over the slump :)

Fixed that for you. ;)

Yeah that Sean FitzPatrick fella should realy change his name to a more British sounding one :)

Indeed, because all the billions are owed to the bank which was chaired by Seán Fitzpatrick? :rolleyes:

Now, before starting this (incredibly stupid, it must be said) thread, you could have read, among other articles, the following:

British banks have £140 billion exposure to Ireland's economic crisis

UK banks exposed for $230bn on loans in Ireland

Next time, do some basic research before starting a thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Indeed, because all the billions are owed to the bank which was chaired by Seán Fitzpatrick? :rolleyes:

Now, before starting this (incredibly stupid, it must be said) thread, you could have read, among other articles, the following:

British banks have £140 billion exposure to Ireland's economic crisis

UK banks exposed for $230bn on loans in Ireland

Next time, do some basic research before starting a thread
    Gets Celtic jearsey and placard

Stupid post. Jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Gambling debts? I see some poor unfortunates, still haven't a clue about who was gambling what.

• Advertisement

And this largely irrelevant nonsense negates the enormous exposure of British financial institutions, whose government is now giving a loan to this state, to Ireland, how? At least try and stay focused.

Why are you trying to claim this loan is an act of charity by the British state to the Irish state?

And this largely irrelevant nonsense negates the enormous exposure of British financial institutions, whose government is now giving a loan to this state, to Ireland, how? At least try and stay focused.

Why are you trying to claim this loan is an act of charity by the British state to the Irish state?

I think it's an incredibly generous gesture to offer their errant colony a subsidised loan, perhaps you need a to inject yourselve with a dose of something if you're going to hang around AH :)

EDIT

Or would you prefer I started a thread about tipping?

perhaps you need a to inject yourselve with a dose of something if you're going to hang around AH

Stupidity? Whatever it is that inspires somebody to troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Stupid post. Jersey.
    Deletes spell check and plugs out computer.

I think it's an incredibly generous gesture to offer their errant colony a subsidised loan, perhaps you need a to inject yourselve with a dose of something if you're going to hang around AH :)

EDIT

Or would you prefer I started a thread about tipping?

They failed to colonise the Island.

Subsidised loan? More like a bilateral loan - We're paying interest.

• Advertisement

Gambling debts? I see some poor unfortunates, still haven't a clue about who was gambling what.

As in the bankers and developers who "invested" expecting a big return or the consumer who also invested expecting their house to rise in value.

You do know the consumer could have rented. So yes the consumer were gamblers as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

This thread stinks of self-loathing west brit.

Do you not want mammy's help.

We did lose our financial independence, apart from a full foreign power invasion or an economic collapse it doesn't get much worse then that.

An economic collapse is still a possible, we are no-way near out of this crisis. Or who knows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

what you lot fawning over the Brits dont realize is that they are just giving us money so we can pay back THEIR banks.

Standard boards.ie thread then.

NinjaK wrote: »
    what you lot fawning over the Brits dont realize is that they are just giving us money so we can pay back THEIR banks.

But you say that thinking we don't have to pay back "their banks" we don't we could default, but then watch what happens next.

But you say that thinking we don't have to pay back "their banks" we don't we could default, but then watch what happens next.

yeah the result of a bunch of traitors, private banks being tied to this country. What a country we live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

for money that YOU blew.

yeah the result of a bunch of traitors, private banks being tied to this country. What a country we live in.

The banks you speak of apart from BOI are all owned by the taxpayer, so a bank default is now a sovereign default, it is all public debt.

That is were we are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The banks you speak of apart from BOI are all owned by the taxpayer, so a bank default is now a sovereign default, it is all public debt.

That is were we are now.

Because of the behaviour of a handful of unhung traitors. :mad:

If FG and Lab had any balls, they'd call a referendum and ask the people to vote on paying back private debts.

If the people vote against repaying those private loans, the governemnt tells the foreign banks to shove it.

You cannot have a fair society when you are expecting the taxpayer to foot the bill for private losses. The banks, after all, weren't complaining when they were making huge profits.

F**k them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement