Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile CCTV Cameras in Douglas

Options
  • 17-04-2012 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Over the last few days I have noticed what looks like temporary CCTV cameras in various locations around Douglas.
    Ive seen them on Maryborough Hill, Rochestown Rd and also on Donnybrook Hill.

They appear to be connected to rubber strips running across the road and this would automatically make me think they are some kind of speed trap but the cameras look more like CCTV cameras rather than speed trap cameras.

Does anyone know the purpose of these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

They're probably the ones for traffic surveys. They track where cars go to
    look for rat runs and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I work in the CCTV business, those cameras are only there for temporary traffic volume surveys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

As previous posters have said, it is traffic survey equipment. Most likely the "cameras" you saw are data loggers for the pneumatic tubes on the road.

Cork County Council have commissioned MVA to carry out the Douglas Land Use and Transportation Study and the first Public Consultation was this evening in the Rochestown Park Hotel.

If you look at the news items on the Cork Co Co website you'll see seem item on the Douglas LUTS with links to a brochure and questionnaire.
    http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/web/Global%20Nav/Home

rcdk1 wrote: »
    As previous posters have said, it is traffic survey equipment. Most likely the "cameras" you saw are data loggers for the pneumatic tubes on the road.

Cork County Council have commissioned MVA to carry out the Douglas Land Use and Transportation Study and the first Public Consultation was this evening in the Rochestown Park Hotel.

If you look at the news items on the Cork Co Co website you'll see seem item on the Douglas LUTS with links to a brochure and questionnaire.
    http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/web/Global%20Nav/Home[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link, I just filled out their form and aired my views as to the traffic issues in Douglas and their failures.

OP, you were right, they are using cameras as well as pneumatic tubes. I took the photos below today on East Douglas Street. They are using a mixture of normal video and ANPR cameras.

Traditionally traffic surveys are done by a guy standing at the corner of a junction with a clipboard counting cars etc. It's not a particularly nice job and produces a limited amount of data. On the other hand, video of the junction can be analysed at a later date in the comfort of a warm office and produces more reliable data. The ANPR cameras are used to track vehicles for origin-destination surveys.

201206.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

@rcdk1 Any chance you could pop up a link to where it says they use ANPR cameras?

I didn't get that info from the web.

rcdk1 wrote: »
    I didn't get that info from the web.

Technically and professionally speaking, I for one would be surprised if that particular camera housing actually contains an ANPR type camera. I am not at all doubting your source, but is this person sure?

I was thinking they are giving a general view of the road and that the playback would show the different vehicles, eg, cars, trucks or buses as the tubes on the road cannot differentiate between the vehicles.

Yes, both types were in operation.

From my limited experience of ANPR cameras I would agree that the particular camera in the picture is unlikely to be an ANPR, as I would think it's mounted too high.

Advertisement