Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Tower, Merlin Woods

Options
  • 17-04-2012 10:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭

Is old tower in Merlin Woods not a historical monument? I can't stand seeing it devastated more and more every year by bored local teenagers.
    Should it not be protected in some way?
    They try to burn it, they get inside and make a one big rubbish out of it...
    Shame..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

Wow, looks like you really care about your historical heritage.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

as a lowly blow-in I can't help you out on its history but why not drop the local heritage officer a line and express your frustration to him... http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/Heritage/Contact/
    let us know how you get on with him

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

surime wrote: »

very cynical. its because of people like you that this country is on its knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Fuinseog wrote: »
    very cynical. its because of people like you that this country is on its knees.

It'd been 24 hours, and not one local person had replied.

I don't think that surime's comment is in any way out of order. And I most certainly don't think that s/he was here going crazy during the celtic tiger's reign.

not everyone reads boards every day ergo you will not always receive a rapid response.
    maybe you are right. we do not care about our heritage unless we can make a quick buck out of it.
    its not a Galway thing. Its an Irish thing, whether it be some nouveau riche peasant farmer in Kerry knowingly destroying a ringfort or state sponsored vandalism at Viking Dublin and Tara.

the tower house you speak of is approximately five hundred years old,it is being vandalised and nobody cares.

• Advertisement

its because of people like you that this country is on its knees.

I don't think I understand...

the tower house you speak of is approximately five hundred years old,it is being vandalised and nobody cares.

This is sad and shocking really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

JustMary wrote: »
    It'd been 24 hours, and not one local person had replied.

I don't think that surime's comment is in any way out of order. And I most certainly don't think that s/he was here going crazy during the celtic tiger's reign.

You mention "Local People", how do we know that?. Most people, including yourself, don't show where they're from. I do and I don't understand why others don't. I've nothing to hide.
    I also think it shows that I'm interested in what's happening in other parts of the country, not just on my own doorstep. This country's heritage is one of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭FR.Ted Crilly

I've been there its a beauty alright,
    But the young folk of the area use it for a bushing site like the rest of merlin woods, this is nothing new in Galway, compare it to the third level educated who ran a muck on Salthill Beach during the sunny weather the other week no comparison blah blah blah
    but to the point i haven't seen any damage (only litter):eek:
    I've been inside this Castle on a few occasions in 2009 i have regularly checked to see if it has been open since and it has always been closed
    There has been a restoration project probably comparable Burke Castle on the Corrib seen from the Quincentennial Bridge (The new bridge as its known) as in it will do for now kind of approach

I can vouch that the structure is in pretty good shape inside Merlin Castle (thats what i know it as) with features like basement probably for storing food cool, fire places with cribs built in to keep up infant survival in harsh conditions, a complete floating stone floor rare in tower castles as they were usually burned heat damaged and have caved in over time, a perfect stone stairwell to the third floor, where the only restoration i have witnessed inside the castle has taken place, a crude poring of concrete on the floor of the main living quarters like a capping to protect the floor structure from the rain above as this room ha no roof, in this room one external wall has collapsed with no trace of the structure to be seen on site, the roof could be retrofitted with a cheap corrugated steel which could probably save it from further rapid aging.

I can have a look tomorrow to see if the iron padlocked entrance door to the castle has been forced open a hard task as it is at least ten foot above ground level if so i will also report to the local Gardaí.

As far as i can remember Oliver Cromwell had visited this castle many times and used it as a safe house when he starved galway to surrender... hope this can help maybe i can take a pic or two if the weather isn't too baaad !

I can have a look tomorrow to see if the iron padlocked entrance door to the castle has been forced open a hard task as it is at least ten foot above ground level if so i will also report to the local Gardaí.

Doors are fine, they get inside through the hole on one side just by the ground.. and I know it would be hard to make any damage to the structure, but have you seen it black all around from fires?
    Thanks for your post it is all interesting.

By the way they scared me to death recently I was sure there is no way to get inside now and then when passing by I heard some voices and when I looked in one of the "windows" I saw eyes in darkness, though for few seconds I was going crazy and then when leaving and looked back few "invaders" crawling from that hole.. I know its not a crime and its cool for them, but why they have to leave all that rubbish behind and burn it.. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I dont know that particular structure but I understand that the Blakes were the landlords there in the past. Too bad to hear it is being vandalised, Perhaps the local authority or OPW could fence it off?

If there are byelaws against drink in the open in that part of Galway, Gardai should be asked to visit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

As far as i can remember Oliver Cromwell had visited this castle many times and used it as a safe house when he starved galway to surrender... hope this can help maybe i can take a pic or two if the weather isn't too baaad !

Afaik Cromwell himself never came to Galway.
    There were articles in the Advertiser and Tribune last week as marked 360 years since surrender to his Army

Re Castle I know there has been one or two groups looking at doing some restoration but mostly preservation work around the Castle and making it more secure but funding & usual red tape process takes time.

I don't think I understand...

a misunderstanding. apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Miseliz

You probably know by now that over the summer the council put huge boulders over the hole the local lads had made in the cellar. I met the lads, there were only young lads who had claimed the castle as their hideout and had to negotiate with the drinkers.
    There was an archeological dig by the opw about ten years ago, don't know if it was ever published. Jim Higgins the heritage officer in city council knows its history. Did a heritage walk with him maybe 5 years ago. He pointed out a little known Shealagh-na-Gig on the first floor window they discovered during the dig. There was a plan at one stage during the boom-time to build a heritage centre on the side of the castle because it's quite unusual and was very big, substantial dwelling in it's heyday.
    Ive gotten interested in the postings on Merlin because of the city council plan to run a bus corridor through the woods. There's a campaign starting on Facebook friends of melin woods with a website going live soon. If you care about the woods/castle get involved and let the city councillors know we want them to vote this horrendous idea out of the city development plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Mike folan

I was at the kingfisher gym in Renmore and noticed on the door to the locker rooms a notice that the city council are planning on running a QBC for public transport through the woods.

Was shocked to hear that. Has anybody heard anything on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Miseliz

[Hi Mike
    You can find info about a campaign about it on facebook friends of Merlin woods page. Group planning to meet city councillors but also to get word out to people Web page going live soon.
    Pass word around.
    Liz

Quote=Mike folan;81429883]I was at the kingfisher gym in Renmore and noticed on the door to the locker rooms a notice that the city council are planning on running a QBC for public transport through the woods.

Was shocked to hear that. Has anybody heard anything on this?[/Quote]

Advertisement