Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'd love to change my identity

• 17-04-2012 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

To leave the country and disappear.
    Perhaps get lots of facial surgery and become unrecognisable.
    You would have to fake your death too.
    I'm positive lots have people have thought of this from time to time.
    To just leave everyone you know and start a new life.
    I ideally wouldn't have to work or anything but that's too much of a fantasy.
    Do you think any of the people you seen on prime time who are missing for years have done this or are they most likely dead?

You often see on TV a childs Dad goes to get milk and never returns, although that's something different. How good would it be to go to work in the morning and some how sneak away and never look back with enough money to live on for the rest of your life!

Is it doable in the modern world?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Not for me family and guilt would drag me back. Plus you forgo all your public benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

You'd have to create a whole new facebook account!! :O

Couldn't bring myself to it... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

You must have no friends!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Sofaspud wrote: »
    You must have no friends!
    and faking my death and moving away would clearly solve that? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Meow_Meow wrote: »
    You'd have to create a whole new facebook account!! :O

Couldn't bring myself to it... :(

Classic! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Go live with tupac in Mexico

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I've thought about just disappearing many times. Couldn't do it to my folks though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

You should read The Partner by John Grisham OP, you'll enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Just become a boards.ie subscriber and you can change your identity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Do you think any of the people you seen on prime time who are missing for years have done this or are they most likely dead?

You often see on TV a childs Dad goes to get milk and never returns, although that's something different. How good would it be to go to work in the morning and some how sneak away and never look back with enough money to live on for the rest of your life!

You can leave the country and disappear without changing your identity. Tell your family you are going and do not want to be contacted again. If they know you are happy and ok they will not be looking for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

and lose my boards postcount? fcuk that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

hondasam wrote: »
    You can leave the country and disappear without changing your identity. Tell your family you are going and do not want to be contacted again. If they know you are happy and ok they will not be looking for you.
    Can't help thinking about the Ace Ventura scene where Ace leaves the monastery and the monks are turning cartwheels in celebration.....:D Soo, you're gonna move abroad and never contact us again?.....well, ah sure we'll miss ya...good luck now......pppfffffttt....bollix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

HAW HAW!!!!!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

KeithM89 wrote: »

I thought you were linking to this:
    http://www.wired.com/vanish/2009/11/ff_vanish2/

It's kinda long but a great read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Join the French foreign legion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

I'd love to change my identity.... Is it doable in the modern world?

It's not doable in Ireland because this is an incredibly small society. If every Irish person posting here met in a room and talked for long enough they'd know somebody in common and one or two would be distantly (at least) related.

It is very doable outside the country. However, some day down the road you might miss home. Then, it gets complicated again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

I'd like to start fresh somewhere else but not in a bad way, not like cutting ties and leaving without ever wanting to return but it would be nice to start a new life in some other place, with a good job and more comfortable circumstances with a fresh set of perspectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Babybuff wrote: »
    I'd like to start fresh somewhere else but not in a bad way, not like cutting ties and leaving without ever wanting to return but it would be nice to start a new life in some other place, with a good job and more comfortable circumstances with a fresh set of perspectives.

This is very possible if you're earning (or have money already). Housing is generally cheaper than it is here.

An obvious way to getting established in a non-English speaking country is via teaching English. From that you can learn the native language and work at things you might be more inclined towards. You could also work in non-English speaking countries but earn money from English speakers. For instance, plenty of people work as writers in the English language from non-English speaking countries. Similarly German writers like Heinrich Böll lived in Ireland and got inspiration from here, but payment from German speakers.

Advertisement