Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few recommendations please.

Options
  • 17-04-2012 11:03pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

Looking at upgrading my PC.
    CPU I'm looking at is the i5 2550k (LGA1155) as I've read it hits the sweet spot in terms of price/performance. Any comments on this?

Looking to hit the same sweet spot in terms of motherboard and RAM. Performance/Value/Overclockability etc. It doesn't have to be the best of the best. Recommendations on a CPU cooler as well.

Its going be for a gaming PC, want to run games at 1080p on max settings in 3D so I'm opting for GTX 680 to accomplish that. My current GTX 560Ti doesn't have the muscle for that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Azza wrote: »
    Looking at upgrading my PC.
    CPU I'm looking at is the i5 2550k (LGA1155) as I've read it hits the sweet spot in terms of price/performance. Any comments on this?

Looking to hit the same sweet spot in terms of motherboard and RAM. Performance/Value/Overclockability etc. It doesn't have to be the best of the best. Recommendations on a CPU cooler as well.

Its going be for a gaming PC, want to run games at 1080p on max settings in 3D so I'm opting for GTX 680 to accomplish that. My current GTX 560Ti doesn't have the muscle for that.
    You don't want the 2550k, it's the 2500k you want.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

The 2550k is only €2 more. Is that 100mhz not worth €2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Azza wrote: »
    The 2550k is only €2 more. Is that 100mhz not worth €2?
    The difference is negligible and you lose out on the integrated graphics which can be handy to have.

Suppose if the GPU ever failed I'd still have a working computer while I got the problem fixed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

2550k yields better overclocks overall and requires less voltage tweaks, if thats any use to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I don't know about 680 maxing out everything 1080p in 3d...
    It's a good card, but even it wont have the grapes to do it on its own.

Well it should come close. In my experience enabling 3D reduces frame rates by half, looking at benchmarks I should be able to still play majority of 3D supporting game over 30FPS.

I'd rather not go down the SLI route. Driver/profile issues, power requirements, micro-stutter and cost put me off it.

3D Games I'll be playing are
    Batman games.
    Battlefield 3
    Civilization 5
    L.A. Noire
    Just Cause 2
    Metro 2033
    Resident Evil 5
    Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition
    Trine
    Trine 2

Advertisement