Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclocross bike frame too big?

Options
  • 17-04-2012 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    I recently "inherited" a Giant Cyclocross bike from my boyfriend who's bough a new bike.
    I started to do some adventure races like gaelforce and such last year and decided to swich bikes for this season. Before I used an old hybrid city bike which I originally got to get to the shops and stuff.
    My hybrid is a 56 or something like that frame size and it was fine but i never really thought about the size much to be honest.

The Cyclocross bike I have now is a mens Giant size Large. I looked that up online, apparently that equals a 59 cm frame size.
    I'm female about 5ft8 inner leg is about 86cm.
    As far as i cant calculate that online a 59cm frame should be fine for me but even so, I feel a bit stretched out on this particular bike.

I never had a bike with dropped racing handlebars before so might be that I just need to get used to that?
    Even if, I'm a bit worried that the "new" bike, which is supposed to be better, will cause me more discomfort than do the job it is supposed to (make cycling easier as I'm not the fastes or best cyclist to beginn with ;) ).
    I don't really have the money to get another bike like this. Especially not in the price category this Giant is.

I am now thinking if it would make sense to change the stem on the bike to get the handlebar a bit closer to me. Would that makes a difference at all??
    The height of the bike seems to be fine otherwise i really don't feel like its to "tall" just a bit "long" if that makes sense.

I would really appreciate any advise on this! I'm somewhat still a cycling novice :)
    Thanks for any replies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

Sounds to me like the bike is too big, even tough cyclocross bikes are slightly different than road bikes I think you should be looking for a similar size to what you already have/had.
    Saying that you could try a smaller stem may do the job, unless your doing a lot of Km's on it you should get away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

According to any Giant size chart I can find online a large size will definately be too big for you! All of the charts suggest a minimum height of 5'11" for a large Giant. I'm 5'11" and find a medium or at most a medium/large Giant compact frame to be most comfortable! I don't think a shorter stem will be the answer - the top tube length of 57.5cm is just too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cassy3793

Thanks for the replies!
    So, I had a look online and found a couple of good offers for just the frames. do you think i could buy another smaller cyclocross frame and take the parts from the bike I have? I really like the bike type but I cant afford to buy a complete cyclocross bike. I know nothing about taking bikes apart...I think could get a friend to do it so I wouldn't have to pay someone to "build" me a bike but is that even possible?? Would the parts fit? The frame I'm interested in I could purchase on the Bike to work scheme which wouldn't sting as bad... Its the 2012 Giant TCX frame set.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

Don't believe you can purchase a frame on the bike to work scheme. Must be a complete bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cassy3793

Q7 wrote: »
    Don't believe you can purchase a frame on the bike to work scheme. Must be a complete bike.

I can i checked with my employer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

Certainly should be possible to swap the majority of parts onto a smaller frame. Get the friend that will build it for you to be involved in the frame choice to maximise compatibility with the existing components. Look out for things like the bottom bracket and seatpost diameter.

Advertisement