Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TOTD - bambi is dead

Options
  • 17-04-2012 11:30pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I know TOTD is picked at random but surely it's usefulness as a feature needs to be re-considered.

Today's TOTD: Dead Deer on the southbound N7??

Now, I've no problem with the thread itself, just saying that this is being portrayed as an advertisement for the site and it might not be to everyone's taste.

Are there any metrics on how many people use TOTD and what proportion of these bounce because of this type of content? :)

Again, this is feedback on the feature, not on the content of the linked thread - it just happened to be a good example.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap

I am very glad I missed that Stag party.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Could have been worse, might have been an airsoft thread... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

it could have been worse, this was made TOTD before....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056578247

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Steve wrote: »
    Now, I've no problem with the thread itself, just saying that this is being portrayed as an advertisement for the site and it might not be to everyone's taste.
    Renaming it to Random Thread of the Day would go a long way to making it more palatable tbh. Same with POTD.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

OldGoat wrote: »
    Same with POTD.

There's no argument from me about Random Thread of the Day.

POTD has a metric though, and a reasonably good one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Strange that nobody minded when another shooting thread became TOTD...

I agree.. thread of the day should be renamed to "Random Thread of the Day", because it serves no purpose yet Post of the Day does. I was going to make the suggestion that whatever thread gets the most thanks in a single day should get Thread of the Day, but then realized that it would likely just constantly be You Laugh, You Lose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Question for those that can see this: Is the thread rating feature being used to any extent?

Could this be used as a metric for TOTD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

it's not used at all. in fact if we used that as a metric, YLYL would be thread of the day 6 days out of 7 if not 7.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

So what do you have?

Can you see things like unique / non previous visits on a thread level daily?

Just throwing it out there - there's gotta be something better than random.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Sparks wrote: »
    Strange that nobody minded when another shooting thread became TOTD...

Not particularly. That one doesn't have a picture of a dead deer stuck in somebody's car with blood everywhere.
    Steve wrote: »
    So what do you have?

Can you see things like unique / non previous visits on a thread level daily?

Just throwing it out there - there's gotta be something better than random.. :)

We are not monitoring views for threads or forums on Boards. Contemplate the size of the data set, it's massive; too massive for what we're using currently.

We've got basic things like threads, reply count, replies in last X time, total views etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Todays TOTD is an invalid link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Todays TOTD is an invalid link.
    For you ;) It's a thread that has since been deleted :)

Regenerated it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Should TOTD not be the one with the most traffic / posts?

Honestly, is there a point in TOTD any more? It serves no point - would it be possible to change it to "Random Thread of the Day" as it would serve more of a purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Should TOTD not be the one with the most traffic / posts?

Then it would most likely be After Hours, Cool pics, motors, health and nutrition every week

Advertisement