Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bathroom abuse ... where have you done it? (car work of course)

• 17-04-2012 11:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

I've spent quite some time working on a door for the Saab ... the original has a huge rust hole in it so I got a grey replacement in better condition and sprayed it red (after endless rustproofing / filling small dents etc) This work has been carried out between the garden shed, patio, and the jacks :pac:

And before anyone mentions it, yes, I spotted the one missed feckin dent in the photo :rolleyes:

I was talking to a Volvo friend recently and he managed to spray a 200 series bumper in his bedroom :D

I was just wondering, needs must and all that ... what are your stories of 'making do' in a similar fashion? Where's the craziest place you've done this sort of work or any car work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

I read about somebody who resprayed all of the body panels for a Rover P6 in his spare bedroom

• Registered Users Posts: 26 paddysaab

I do most of the small fiddley stuff in the sitting room. Plenty of light and heat. You know what its like trying to solder when you can't feel your fingers:p

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭a_v525

I'd never spray anything indoors (i.e. in a very enclosed space such as a bedroom) as the vapours would hang about and those little dots of paint get on EVERYTHING that isn't masked off

re: soldering in the cold, dont get me started lol :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭mountai

Engine parts in dishwaser, best results EVER. Dont do it when the Mrs is around .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

^^^^^ hahahaha Done that.....ONCE...:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

mountai wrote: »
    Engine parts in dishwaser, best results EVER. Dont do it when the Mrs is around .

Bought a secondhand dishwasher specially for the job :) cost me €20 and is some job for it. I find a quick squirt of degreaser left to soak in for a short while before going in really finishes them off nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭mountai

Havnt tried the OVEN yet, its supposed to be mighty for baking Powder Coating ---- 25 mins at 200 degrees !!!!!!!!!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Havnt tried the OVEN yet, its supposed to be mighty for baking Powder Coating ---- 25 mins at 200 degrees !!!!!!!!!.
    I did! when I was drying wrinkle coat friggin smell went all around the house and lingered for ages, it wasn't appreciated to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

A friend of mine built an engine for his Mini in his Mother's sitting room. She wasn't too impressed when she brought the parish priest in for a cup of tea!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

DaveCol wrote: »
    A friend of mine built an engine for his Mini in his Mother's sitting room. She wasn't too impressed when she brought the parish priest in for a cup of tea!

Priceless :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I've had my headlights in the oven. Also parts in the dishwasher.

Didn't get my deposit back.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

Lambretta engine casing in the oven, bearings are so much easier to change :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Aged 15: yellow BMX mag wheels (Skyway Tuff II's for those who remember) in the dishwasher - came out great. (remove freewheel and take out the axles and bearings first).

Older (but no wiser!): washing engine parts in the bath with biological washing powder. Rebuilding the engine (block still in the car) in the rain, under a golf umbrella, putting pistons back in the cylinders under a plastic sheet, trying to keep rain out of the bores! (Rebuild went fine in the long run though, put another 50k miles on it, a Mk1 Golf GTI, up to 215k miles, until rust got the better of the body).

Advertisement