Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4stroke vs 2stroke outboard

Options
  • 17-04-2012 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Just looking of advice. The family Mecury 7.5hp long shaft that has been in the family since the 60s has earned it's retirement (not reliable to start even after a good run out). For the Corrib Thinking about 10-15hp for a 19ft Burke but can't decide on 2st or 4st / long or short shaft. Engine will be taken in each day, transported by car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

i have both 4 stroke and 2 stroke 15's, 4stroke is cheaper and no messing with oil, 2 stroke engine is probably faster but that wont catch you fish:D, the 2 stroke wont be as heavy as the 4 stroke! i leave the engines on the boats but the boats dont stay on the water so the weight isnt a problem in my case. good luck with the hunt for a new one,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

For the corrib go for the 4 stroke...much more reliable...lot less likely to let you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

A good friend of mine bought himself a brand new honda 15hp 4stroke short shaft a few months back. Ive used it several times and gotta say its absolutely first class! Its throttle is very smooth, its extremely quiet and theres absolutely no smell of oil like in 2 stroke's. Weight wise it's not two bad, no heavier than a15 hp 2stroke really, but it'll definitely take two people to get the engine onto/off the boat. The engines on 4 stroke's are a little more complicated but if you're not competent with 2 stroke engines then id say that this is'nt even a factor for you. If it were me i'd have to go with the 4 stroke, a 15 hp 2stroke would just drink the fuel way to fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

I have a yamaha 6hp 4 stroke and it's verrrrrrry heavy - it's 2 cylinder though as apposed to most of the 4 strokes which only have 1, which probably does add to the extra weight. It's a struggle at times getting the engine on, and if you have to carry it down through the boat in order to attach it forget about it!

It's something to bear in mind somewhere like the corrib where you are always bringing your engine home with you afterwards. I love the quietness and smoothness of the 4 stroke but in hindsight I'd have gone for a different model.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The boat will decide if you need a long or short shaft, measure from the top of the transom to the bottom of the boat if it's 15"-17" it's short and 20"-22" long.

shaft_len.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

For the corrib go for the 4 stroke...much more reliable...lot less likely to let you down.

How is it more reliable ?

If you are putting the engine on a 19ft Burke boat you will need a short shaft and ideally a 2 stroke. The 4 strokes are heavy and coupled with a long shaft they will need a reinforced transom. Also 4 strokes have a lot more potential to give trouble than a 2 stroke.
    I have an 8(10yrs old) and 15(5yr old apprx) yamaha and they have never given trouble, after being idle for months they start after a couple of pulls and after running they start on half a pull. The larger 2 strokes are more fuel efficient than their smaller counterparts. I would go for a 9.9-15hp short shaft and ideally Yamaha but thats a personal preference, there are other good makes out there.
    A 4 stroke ls will need two men to pull it of the car and onto the boat where as I can lift my 15hp ss on my own and onto the boat.
    Also with any engine over 8hp you should have hydrofoils, they help the boat plane making travelling in a wave easier and you also don't damage the keel board as much with the bouncing around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

If trout is your main quarry, then a 4stroke would probably be best, as some large trout lochs Now ban the 2stroke engines,
    As for the hp, with a boat like the Burke or sheelin, a 9/10hp is plenty, in a short shaft,
    the yamaha being a good example, with the 9.9hph having a power to weight ratio similar to that of a 15 hp
    The 15hp yamaha 4stroke l/s weights in at a healthty 58kgs, where as the 2stroke version is "only" 38kgs.
    Quite a lift by yourself, and there will probably be days when you'll be on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

do that many people leave their boats on the lake nowadays?? not many do it here, mine is launched every sunday off a trailor and engine only comes off to be serviced in the winter!!

2006 model 4stroke honda 15hp... electric start.. mental weight!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭goss101

i have an 8 johnson, 2 stroke, 15 tahatsu, 2 stroke, and a new yamaha 15, 4 stroke. i use the 8hp on the corrib and on mask with no problems whatsoever, might be a little slow if your travelling big distance but it's solight for taking on/off and transporting in the car and never let me down. the tohatsu is nearly 15 years old now and is working like a dream, i was out good fri and it hadn't been started in a while and started on half a pull, great engine and extremely reliable. the 4 stroke is a lovely engine and very quite while trawling, is very heavy as stated above, can be dangerous is trying to carry it up/down through the boat, and can be a bit of a whoor to start it in the morning, ya wouldn't want to be dying from drink put it that way!!! but she is a miser on petrol. in my opinion both have merits depending on what your going to use it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 westerngale

Thanks for all the advice- Am hopefully purchasing this weekend- going to look at a 15hp 2st yamaha and a 9.9hp 4st Mariner. Both around the same price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 pollagh prince

2 stokes are easier to lift in my humble opinion!! and if its only a small engine the difference in economy is minimal!

Advertisement